cleaning solutions used for silver and gold and general relic cleaning

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzz

Gold digger
Reaction score
hi guys so ive been out on the weekend and detected myself some nice finds a few silver rings and some old aussie coins down at a old beach what is the best product or way for cleaning them up without destroying them .?

One way I see my dad clean his silver is to use either an aluminium gauze or even foil ,put in pot of water, boil water put bi-carb in & put your silver in/on the aluminium . The reaction will take all the crap off the silver. Or the manual way you can even just use bi-carb,, put some in you hand, add just enough water to make a paste , and rub it in to the silver or gold, it will take the black off pretty quick , works well

Cheers Paul

Gedday there Muzz .. Simple solution is CLR Clear in solution .. Safe and reasonably benign, just follow the directions and give your prized finds an overnight soak .. Drain off, allow the items to sit in hot water and let things cool .. Drain again, and then get stuck into to it with your finest soft toothbrush and toothpaste .. Rinse and give it all a brisk rub on some soft towelling.. From there you can move on too good old Siilvo or Brasso .. Good luck to you and show us the results mate.

coin collectors don't recommend cleaning, so be careful. For coins found in salt I firstly soak coin in fresh water & replace water every few days for about 3 weeks that it NO chemicals, detergents etc. soaking in fresh water leaches the salt out which stops corrosion.
However if I found in ground ultra sonic cleaner & soak.

gave the ring a clean up guys and got some more distinction about what it is and found a hallmark stg( -sterling silver gold plated) i assume from some other research than to my own good luck decide to visit the local ring shops and have a sniff round there it is at prouds in the display retail for $700.00 pitty is a bit worse for wear after all those years in the sand lol.