Camping Recipes / Cooking ideas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awsum! I know curry's etc are a good preservative.
But how is chicken for leaving out all day , then reheating?
As I just leave mine next to camp fire place covered all day.
And add to it each night after eating.
Sometimes blending in a different flavour curry paste for a change.
Chicken thrown in on the last night would be great.
But how is it for going off when in curry? Left out?

CRAB AND SWEETCORN SOUP (Yabbies, marron just as tasty)

Ingredients:
1.5 litres chicken stock
250 gram fresh crab meat. (Canned crab meat will suffice if none available.)
125 gram can creamed sweetcorn.
1 cup sweetcorn
1 tablespoon corn flour.
1 tablespoon sherry
2 teaspoon olive oil.
teaspoon sesame oil.
2 eggs beaten.
2 shallots (finely chopped.)

Method:
Bring stock to boil in a large wok or pot.
Add crab meat, creamed corn & corn and simmer for two minutes.
Blend corn flour, sherry and oils and add to wok, bring back to boil then remove from heat.
Immediately pour in beaten eggs in a steady stream to form a pattern on surface.
Decorate with chopped shallots and serve immediately.
**Don't forget the thick sliced bread you made in your bread maker earlier.** (We run ours off the inverter in the van.)

Bon apetite

Nightjar said:
CRAB AND SWEETCORN SOUP (Yabbies, marron just as tasty)

Ingredients:
1.5 litres chicken stock
250 gram fresh crab meat. (Canned crab meat will suffice if none available.)
125 gram can creamed sweetcorn.
1 cup sweetcorn
1 tablespoon corn flour.
1 tablespoon sherry
2 teaspoon olive oil.
teaspoon sesame oil.
2 eggs beaten.
2 shallots (finely chopped.)

Method:
Bring stock to boil in a large wok or pot.
Add crab meat, creamed corn & corn and simmer for two minutes.
Blend corn flour, sherry and oils and add to wok, bring back to boil then remove from heat.
Immediately pour in beaten eggs in a steady stream to form a pattern on surface.
Decorate with chopped shallots and serve immediately.
**Don't forget the thick sliced bread you made in your bread maker earlier.** (We run ours off the inverter in the van.)

Bon apetite

Spot on there MH.
I'd be going back fo seconds

Have been roasting chicken & vegies in the camp fire since Noah cruised past.
Instead of the camp oven for this meal I use the large aluminium trays from your local Woolies, coles IGA.
Sent my recipe off and it was included in, The Camps Australia Wide Community Cookbook. December 2019
Can guarantee it is a delicious meal at the end of the day after tramping around the bush picking up a nug or two. (Maybe?)

1615422493_roast_chicken3.jpg

1615422493_roast_chicken2.jpg

1615422492_roast_chicken.jpg

Thanks NJ I will order a copy, I love good proper food, none of that free range Olive and a lettuce leaf fancy finger food for me, :Y: :playful: :playful:

came across this down my local butcher, so far I've had it on lamb porterhouses... WoWww its pretty good!

It tenderised the meat beautifully too!

1616315458_swamp_boys.jpg

From the makers website...

I came up with this rub back in 2004 and have been using it ever since. It is the rub that helped me collect the most 1st place rib wins in the country (USA) over a 6 year period from 2004 - 2010 according to the now-retired National BBQ Rankings. This is the same rub I used on BBQ Pitmasters. This rub has never stopped winning.
Pairs great with pork, chicken, fish, and vegetables (BigL says - he needs to add lamb to the list)
Balanced salty, sweet, and savory notes, with a touch of heat, light smoky finish
Produces an amazing rich mahogany bark
Gluten Free, no MSG

Further to my earlier post, I have over the last year got into Japanese curry mix. It is a roux containing spices and flavorings, so in addition to giving a nice curry flavour, it thickens the stew as well.

You cook up the meat and veges and when almost done just stir in some cubes of the mix. It will melt in to the stew and thicken it quite quickly.

The advantage in a camp oven is that it minimises burning of the thick sauce on the base of the oven.

I use Golden Curry from Woolworths which is available in mild, medium and hot, but all of them are mild to my taste (but delicious).

About one packet is right for a medium camp oven of meat and veggies, but you can add more or less to taste, and of course any industrial strength chilli preparation if you like a good afterburn.

A Vietnamese chicken soup cube is a good addition, but you need to get them from a Vietnamese grocery. They come in beef flavor as well.

1616368541_golden.jpg

1616368754_pho_ga.jpg

Flame King was purchased to replace the Suburban cooktop installed in the outside fold-down "camp kitchen" on my fifth wheel RV. It appears to be a far superior product even at its modest price. The other shock and surprise I got are that this stove has dual ignitors (no batteries or power required). The stove is relatively lightweight, but once installed is plenty sturdy. In summary, I am extremely happy with this and impressed by its quality.

Anyone make Golden syrup dumplings?
Absolute treat after a week or two out bush and dead easy to make.

Oh wow, dumplings.. YUMO!

Thats enough to make a bloke go prospecting & forget to pack his detector. Bugger chasing the gold, I'd rather knock up dumplings and eat the whole damn lot then just go home

davent said:
Anyone make Golden syrup dumplings?
Absolute treat after a week or two out bush and dead easy to make.

oh yeah they are awesome, 1st time i made them and looked in the pot after 5 mins i thought...... they looked like shyt, but finished up beautiful. :Y: :perfect:

Latest posts