My Coiltek 10x5" Nox Coil arrived.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My new 10x5" Nox coil has arrived, seems quite nice, I don't mind the weight, I'm yet to test the performance but I'll sort that out soon in comparison to the 6" ML coil.

1615859241_img_20210316_101809_copy.jpg

The weight's not too bad, this is with the coil cover.

1615859241_img_20210316_101906_copy.jpg

1615859241_img_20210316_102116_copy.jpg

The standard ML coil bolts don't fit, the thread goes thru but not the bolt as in the picture.

1615859241_img_20210316_102310_copy.jpg

The coil ears seem a bit stronger.

1615859241_img_20210316_140015_copy.jpg

Here is a photo comparing it to the 6"

1615859241_img_20210316_141459_copy.jpg

1615859241_img_20210316_141517_copy.jpg

The nugget hunters will be pleased to know the tip and tail of the coil are the most sensitive areas to tiny targets, a very small target (#9 birdshot) gets the best depth at the tip and toe of the coil. With the little stock 6" coil this same target has to be in the very middle of the coil to get the depth. The Coiltek is giving the best depth at the tip and toe, not in the middle of the coil, As targets get bigger that changes to the center of the coil however tiny targets love where the windings come together. This is awesome as it means you can poke that little nose up into tight areas and have good sensitivity there. On coin size targets I'm noticing no difference in depth over the 6", in fact it might be a little bit shallower but further testing required there, it's certainly not deeper though. I'm not bothered by that as I wanted it for prospecting and for that it's looking very promising with that hot tip I was hoping it'd have. Being a bit skinnier at the tip you can get it into places the 6" rounder coil would not go too, not to mention the edges of the 6" round are not sensitive, the center is most sensitive.

I'll post more as I discover more about it, so far I'm happy with it.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts once you have a bit of coil time on it :Y:

The tiny target sensitivity is no more than the standard 6" coil, the depth is also similar, it's splitting hairs but at the moment I believe the standard coil to be ever so slightly deeper on tiny targets. I will likely upload some video demonstrating what I'm seeing in the next few days if I can get a chance. So far the big benefit to it is the tiny target can be right near the tip of the coil and get picked up where as the standard coil is most certainly the most sensitive at the center of the coil so tiny targets don't get picked up with any depth at the front of the coil. It was quite handy with the 6" as you could pinpoint tiny gold knowing it's at the center of the coil. With the 10x5" you would pinpoint using the tip up to 3-4cm from the tip as it's looking to be deeper than the center in that area on the nose and tail on very tiny targets. That changes on coins and so on to the center.

Ground coverage is the biggest benefit to it, while maintaining very small target sensitivity and having the hot nose on the coil is very beneficial in rocky areas for poking it around.

I haven't tested with bigger targets like coins and so on other than running over some coins that I've had buried for a few years, it hits the same ones as the 6" and misses the same ones as the 6" so no real difference there. It's slightly worse than the 6" in high EMI too, not much in it, but a bit worse, I guess the bigger size.

Unless someone wanted the elliptical shape and the hotter nose and a bit more ground coverage there isn't any real benefit to buying one over the 6" if they had that already. If they didn't have the 6" and were considering which of the two to buy then I'd likely buy the Coiltek just because it's so close in sensitivity with a bit more ground coverage. If absolutely tiny gold as close to the Gold Bug 2 sensitivity is required the 6" standard coil is best.

This is from a gold prospecting perspective, coins are a different story and it may show depth benefits on coins, my testing over a few is hardly conclusive, just that it misses the same coins the 6" does. Target ID stability is about the same on the ones it does pick up.

This isn't anything scientific, it's not trying to say one coil is better than the other or anything like that, just showing how each coil reacts to a tiny #9 birdshot and the hot spots on them.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/ihEOrtVD9Fs[/video]

I really like both coils, each for their own benefits. I'm going to struggle to decide which one to use for my next prospecting trip, I guess the 10x5" since it's new.

Latest posts