Bullet Money

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thailand "Bullet Money"

In Thailand, the medium of exchange used during the Sukhothai Kingdom (13th15th centuries) varied, but the type of money originated in Sukhothai was "pod duang" or "bullet money". It was in circulation for 600 years. It was round-shaped, with long, sharp and pointed tips of legs, and a large hole between the legs. It had marks to show the origin, as few as one and as many as seven marks have been found stamped into Sukhothai pod duang. The marks most often found are lion, elephant, conch, Dharma Wheel, lotus, rabbit and ratchawat (a pyramid of dots).

Additionally, it was found that Sukhothai used a hard mixture of many low value metals, such as tin, lead and zinc, to produce a shape resembling pod duang, but of larger size, they were called different names, such as "pod duang chin", ngern kub, ngern khub, or ngern kook. Cowrie shells or bia were also used as small change in the Sukhothai Kingdom.

Source: Wikipedia
Photo: A piece of silver bullet money I detected from Victorian goldfields.

1615195210_20210307_094033.jpg

Sandta said:
Thats amazing !
Great find :Y:
Good info too , never heard of that
It's exactly why I've come and shared the info buddy. After all these years of holding onto it, wondering what it was.. was nearly tempted to smelt it a few times, thinking it was just a pendant. Luckily, I didn't! I think ive found remains (blobs) of others in the past too. Great relic to keep eyes open for :)

Latest posts