SDC Shaft Locks / Shaft getting loose

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to SDC owners.
Has anyone got a quick fix for the sloppy shaft problem that developed over time with SDCs. Mine is well out of warranty and is now at the point of being annoying.

Thanks Shannon

Thank you Elijah.
I have replaced them already which did help a bit but the main problem I see is dirt and grit getting into the shaft and wearing the actual shaft, sort of grinding way.
If I have to replace the shaft I think Ill just put up with it.

Thanks for replying, Shannon.

The wobble can be from internal gromets wearing out, Miners Den (Bendigo) quoted $80 odd for replacement, they are designed as a replacement item by design. Trickiest part is arranging the appointment to have it done, part is well stocked and easily replaced.

Haven't had that problem with mine (yet) but that might be because I don't get to use it that much at the moment. I'm sure other members will be very helpful though.

Good luck

Annie :)

Thank you Annie, now that COVID is slowing up and things are opening up again hopefully youll get to wear it out haha!

Shannon.

Thank you Nightjar. My 7000 is never folded but the 2300 spends most of its time behind my seat and only comes out for pinpointing duties or for shallow patches of small bits so it has to be folded to fit.
Most of the wear and tear though was from the first few years when I did use it heavily.

Shannon.

I'm in the same position with mine. I figured the plastic cam locks were simply wearing out as OldGT mentioned above. There's a similar thing starting to happen on my Zed.

I was thinking of contacting Minelab to see if they may be able to send out a couple of replacements?

Cheers,
Shauno.

Just to be clear guys the outer camlocks can be changed and fix the issue of wobble as noted successfully by numerous members over time. What I was refering to is 2 inner parts that require replacement that can cause a more pronounced wobble when they have exceeded the internal tolerance. When replaced the shaft returns to as new positioning when locked in place in both the extended and retracted position with no lateral movement.

As I wasnt observing the changeover I couldnt say with certainty that the shaft required to be disassembled to enable replacement, the explanation they (Miners Den) gave me both at the presentation and later the collection of the machine/s lead me to believe this was required.

Perhaps an enquiry to them might be in order, Ive certainly found them very helpful and transparent in their dealings with any of the Minelab range over a number of years, although I have brought several new machines and referred sales to them which may have influenced their dealings with me personally.

Our first machine wore out the swivels that control the position of the coil. It used to flop about so while out bush I cut down a Browns yogurt container and put a plastic bush in both joints. I also had problems with the audio plug and sent it back to Minelab to have that fixed. While it was there they replaced every worn part about the coil without being asked to do so. That detector has since been replaced twice because of the worn out shaft and swivel joints.

One of them is so bad the coil will fall right out and has to be stuffed back into the joint. I've been too busy to bother fixing it. The other one has the shaft just slide in and out. I replaced the rubber wear pads at one point but that didn't last long so it's just taped up. One day I'll get a bit of time and take a look at them because the third one is getting a bit tired as well. They are a high maintenance machine if worked hard.

Is it just me or do SDC2300 shaft locks simply suck ?

I have had my new sdc2300 less than 9m and have had the lower lock replaced once under warranty and the new one failed & I was given another new one and that has now failed. In the first case the rubber pad had dislodged & I glued it back in and reused it & that lasted longert han the original - but not much & in the second the pad is still there but doesnt supply enough compression to hold the shaft. so that is 3 failures in less than 200hrs detecting.

Doesnt look like anything wrong with the shaft or camlock bracket on the shaft - just appears the rubber pad is slightly compressed and so the cam doesnt quite hold.

I know it is not a walking stick but it is supposed to be a sturdy serious detector.

Does anyone else have this sort of drama & if so is there a fix other than gaffer tape the shafts together ?

Just guessing, do you shorten and fold machine at the end of every day? This will no doubt shorten the life.
SWMBO has always left her SDC in operating condition, never has there been a problem with loose shafts or any other problem.
My opinion only, folding and shortening was only a sales gimmick.
Stored away here at home fully extended now ready to go next season.

I've owned 2 x SDC's & didn't have any major shaft lock issues with either but have heard of it. My first one would have been 18 months or so old when I sold it.
My only issue was the shaft would creep in/up after awhile so I had to reset the length once or twice during the day. No biggy & they weren't loose as in wobbly or anything.
One thing I did do with the SDC's was give the shaft a quick wipe down with a rag when folding them down at the end of the day - don't know if that helped keep the locks ok?

Yes always fold it put it away in a hard case at end of day.

Sometimes even during a session if backpacking through scrub to get to a spot.

Part of the reason to have an SDC - compact foldable

Surely the locks arent so fragile that you cant use them?

Latest posts