You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Drmorris22
03 March 2021 02:17 pm

Wanting to start doing some beach detecting. Where on the beach is the best place to start? Sand dunes or low tide flats...or both?
Do you walk from the dunes down in a line, zig zag or do flats one way and dunes on the way back?
I’m a newbie and need all the advice (and learn some of the detecting lingo.) pickshovel

1 user likes this post: golddiggerart

Greenhornet_au
03 March 2021 02:53 pm

I'm no expert so wait for some extra input from others.

When I started I had no help at all, so never really focused on the sand.

I think it depends a lot on where you go, meaning, is it a popular beach for people and not so much for local detecting, popular with swimmers and detectorists, not so much swimmers and more detecting.
Has there been heavy stormy weather or unusual high tides, is it metro beaches or country beaches.
Is your detector designed for wet sand and water or more dry sand ?
Is it salt water beach or fresh water beach ?

ALL of these things change your strategy and also your success rates.

I started with a PI Garrett detector and it found everything metal down to 2'6" without fail, but no discrimination. It was submersible, designed for saltwater diving.
Then an ACE 250 (still use it), cant use it near salt water.
Kato has a CTX3030, uses it anywhere but in close proximity to playground equipment, fine in salt water too.

During the day and depending on weather and tides people sit along lines that are like tide lines, they are the best places to swing walking along a beach after people have left for the day.
When the tide is low or right out, swing along the exposed sand that normally is under water, especially the gutters.
After storms when beach sand is removed try around the cuttings at the top of the beach and dry sand where it has been washed away by the storm, down in the gutters at low tide..

In my neck of the woods, beaches we go to are well trodden by old guys that turn up late at night after summer days and special events, they search the beach and pick up everything but the trash so we usually try other near places and find coins with some artifacts.

good luck smile

Youtube is your friend...

Last edited by Greenhornet_au (03 March 2021 02:54 pm)

Still looking for Captain Feather-swords treasure chest !
Won't be long now - 3310+ holes and STILL counting. (bloody ring-pulls and pull-tabs) LOL

2 users like this post: golddiggerart, Wishfull

Jaros
03 March 2021 03:28 pm

Welcome and good luck with your new hobby.
Jaros. smile

F1A4M2, GPX4500, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

golddiggerart
03 March 2021 03:50 pm

Starting off it's good practice to detect from the dunes all the way to the low tide mark/wet sand gridding is your best friend, overlapping into each section.
Dig it all and notice the tones and tid numbers..
You'll be a pro in no time.
Also do air tests on coins and jewellery at home to get a headstart.
Knowing your machines capability goes a long way to finding goodies.
I mostly only do water detecting now as I find it to be more fun especially when I'm chest high and hit a cracking good target, it excites me as to what it may be.
I wish you all the best... One last thing.. Perseverance goes a long long way to being successful.

Cheers Gda

Never give up on your dreams.... They are all worthy of your focus.....

2 users like this post: Mackka, Heatho