❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho said:
20xwater said:
Heatho said:
Possibly very poor quality Rhodonite. Is that near Bingara? I've been to a deposit near Bingara and it looked very similar.
Your on to me :p

:lol: , yeah it's Rhodonite. I gave up there after an hour. Wish it was better quality. :Y:
I read that it oxidize's at the surface so you would have to dig deep I reckon. :cool:

20xwater said:
Heatho said:
20xwater said:
Heatho said:
Possibly very poor quality Rhodonite. Is that near Bingara? I've been to a deposit near Bingara and it looked very similar.
Your on to me :p

:lol: , yeah it's Rhodonite. I gave up there after an hour. Wish it was better quality. :Y:
I read that it oxidize's at the surface so you would have to dig deep I reckon. :cool:

Yes without a doubt, the oxidised manganese isn't pleasant, bit messy. :Y:

Anyone know what this may be?
1625821555_a8f374b4-4f34-4051-a447-08389ac6615d.jpg

Also
1625821613_3b15d4e5-9153-4e28-bdf1-3e419e494486.jpg

Thanks

It is a rock of course, composed of multiple minerals - so not sure which one you are asking about. You need to consider each individually and their properties (fresher material would help). With only a photo of a weathered rock to look at and no individual proprtires it is pure guesswork (the photos themselves are clear and good quality), but it looks like quartz, feldspar and perhaps very weathered mica, so something along gthe lines of granite or pegmatite?

1626747875_img_3799.jpg
I have inherited my late father's mineral & rock collection that he gathered in Vic, NSW & Qld. Can anyone identify this specimen and where it may come from? Regards Dennis, Cockatoo, Vic

It is likely to be from a decomposed coal seam, being from Dysart area, but Marcasite looks to hit the nail on the head and the colouration, that I cannot capture too well, is very distinguishing. Thank you for your time and knowledge, GR.

Marcasite specimens tend to breakdown in air over months to years. They are commonly sprayed to protect them from the air. The highly reducing (Oxygen-free) nature of coal seams preserves them for millions of years though (also in black, carbon-rich shale). Very common in the brown coal of the Latrobe Valley, Victoria.

I actually placed the specimen in a specimen container and as you say the piece has developed a crack in the globular surface area and part way into the stone from just being exposed in a tight shutting container out of direct, harsh light.

Pat Hogen said:
I actually placed the specimen in a specimen container and as you say the piece has developed a crack in the globular surface area and part way into the stone from just being exposed in a tight shutting container out of direct, harsh light.
Oxygen more than light is the problem - oxidises to iron sulphate I think (a white powder -the mineral melanterite, FeSO47H2O.) . Some sort of clear spray as a thin layer shuts out oxygen.
If you found it close to old coal dumps it might be worth breaking some coal open to get fresher material - it can be really beautiful. It can be really abundant in places in coal seams - I have loaded many 5 gallon buckets within a few hours in Latrobe Valley mines, of disks up to 15 cm or so in diameter. It can look good left in a coal matrix - just give the surface a light clear spray, because it always breaks down over time otherwise. The to[ one looks good with its leaf fossils in the coal, eh?
Happy collecting!

1626850185_marcasite_in_coal4.jpg

1626850185_marcasite_in_coal3.jpg

1626850185_marcasite_in_coal2.jpg

1626850186_marcasite_in_coal.jpg

Hi All,

I have been scratching around out at Vulcan SF. I found the attached. Any indication what they may be?

1627124256_20210724204836_2j6a4930.jpg

1627124256_20210724204811_2j6a4928.jpg

Thanks. ;)

Latest posts