Gemstones around Adelong?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

Newbie here! My partner is into a bit of gold fossicking but I am more into looking for gemstones. Adelong is supposedly an ok spot for gold but I wanted to know if anyone has had any luck or heard if there was gemstones that way too? We live fairly local to the area so it makes it easy to head to for even just a few hours on a weekend.

Thank you, that link is great! I will see if I can find out about allowable areas around Tumba to fossick in. I know there is a bit of state forestry there so they might have pockets where you can

Heatho said:
No worries, really great website minview.

Hope you get onto some gemstones. Please post pics if you do.

Cheers

Sorry to hijack the thread guys, Heatho you wouldn't happen to know if there is a WA equivalent of that NSW minview?

I've just relocated to Perth and in between work so hoping to make the most of it. Dam I miss Oberon.

cha55a said:
Heatho said:
No worries, really great website minview.

Hope you get onto some gemstones. Please post pics if you do.

Cheers

Sorry to hijack the thread guys, Heatho you wouldn't happen to know if there is a WA equivalent of that NSW minview?

I've just relocated to Perth and in between work so hoping to make the most of it. Dam I miss Oberon.

No idea, sorry, best follow Pat's link as a starting point.

Cheers Pat, appreciate the help. I wasn't sure what key words to use. But that's pointed me in the right direction.

Quick update:

went to Adelong with the partner last weekend for an arvo. He managed to find two gold pickers so he was stoked. I had a look for gems... I didn't have the best of luck but did find some - a heap of quartz, a little bit of smoky quartz and I think some citrine. I also collected a few 'unknowns' among them. I will have to take photos to post at some stage! Nothing of amazing quality but kept me happy.