X coil and patch lead for Zed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Gday, anyone who is selling a zed with an x coil, if you are willing to seperate coil and patch lead I would be interested.
Open to sizes of coil.
Cheers Dave.

There are people making them (contact Davsgold - X coils) but you need to use either a GPZ14, GPZ19 or NF Z coil to remove the coil plug end with chip to make the adapter.

To buy one I'd assume you'd have to find a seller that still has an intact stock coil (or you are willing to provide one) & you'd be purchasing the X Coil, the adapter & the doctored GPZ coil (as it's now not usable without the adapter)?
Probably just cheaper & easier to find a used GPZ14/19 going cheap & have the adapter made if you don't want to try making one yourself.

Have been chatting with a few coil testing professionals in the trade, and while they suggested the x-coil are indeed more sensitive and punch deeper, it didn't justify the risk to the detector. I have heard that when the coil-overload alarm occurs, it's not healthy for the electronics. ML have both protection and balance built into their coil designs. Ground balance and ferrite use was also called into concern.

I personally do not know the technical aspects regarding the chip/plug - but was told there was good reason for it, and as the x-coil does not come with one "for what ever reason", should be avoided.

I have the Z-search that comes with the chip/lead and find it's like using an SDC2300 but with better depth and increased sharpness - though I strangely still prefer the original 14 inch coil - maybe for ground coverage. I think I will wait till NF bring out a few new options. But to all those x-coil users, PLEASE leave some gold for the rest of us :( ;)

The MINELAB GPZ 7000 was invented by geniuses, but the X-COILS were also invented by geniuses.We haven't had any ZED spoilt by X-COILS yet.GOOD LUCK TO YOU,

The MINELAB GPZ 7000 was invented by geniuses, but the X-COILS were also invented by geniuses.We haven't had any ZED spoilt by X-COILS yet.GOOD LUCK TO YOU,

There is no doubt the x-coils were designed by geniuses - just wish it came standard as compatible with the 7000 like the x-search instead of having to "patch" it in. Maybe in the future they will do something like that, then I would definitely reconsider.... and yes, I am yet to hear of the x-coil killing a zed when connected correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.