Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm beginning to wonder about these coils.

I've watched a couple of demo videos, read the Coiltek release and promos, and one thing sticks out like the proverbial........all they talk about is the waters edge, treasure, trash, and all the stuff associated with coin and relic hunting.

Not a word about gold.

I suppose most of the work deciding if a target is gold or treasure is done by the machine, not the coil (?)......but I find it interesting that Coiltek seem to be studiously avoiding mentioning the yella stuff, particularly as the Equinox detectors have built up a bit of a reputation in the gold area.

Minelab hasn't said anything about gold detecting improvements when they released any of the updates for the equinox either, I guess that it's sensible to play to the strong points! Vlf will find certain types of small gold that PI machines miss but has it's limits that probably can't be pushed much further.

Muk said:
If you want to find gold buy a gold machine not a part timer or all rounder as they are no way near as good as a dedicated gold machine on gold cheers Muk.

Equinox 800 For Gold? How Stupid....

As some of you know, I am a metal detector dealer (so half the stuff I say must be salesman-shite?) who enjoys the hobby and actually gets out in the field much more than the average guy or dealer for that matter. I also am very hard core when it comes to detecting and feel my detector knowledge, skills and tools used are the best I can get my hands on. I sell all the major brands and have been for 20+ yrs., so I am not really bias as to what is the best brand. Yes some of you will say I lean towards Minelab, but only for the models of detectors I feel will give me the advantage and edge. I want to go home with treasure and since my Field Staff Experts are some of the best hunters in the US, I better be on my A game all the time. I need to make sure I'm holding my own with those wizbangs and so brand, model and price is not a factor to me. I like to compare detectors on undug signals and see for myself what the results bring. I also listen to and rely quite a bit to my staff and their experiences as well all hunt different sites, locations and styles. But on some trips we do manage to get a few of us together and that is where the work starts as we pull out our detectors and see who has the best setup for a signal. After doing this numerous times over a weekend, we learn pretty good/fast which detectors are the Winners and the ones we'll be sure to not be swinging. I'm not going to say there are Losers as I enjoy certain traits of each. I've tested for most major brands and so far, have yet to find the ultimate gold detector. In fact, I get so tuned and focused, I don't think the ultimate unit will ever get built and be in my hands. I'm too damn picky and want perfection.

Where am I going with this. Sorry, the Equinox for Gold? As most of you know, the NOX is a multi purpose detector that is capable of many styles of hunts including gold nuggets. Here is where the issue lay. It is classified by most to be a Multi Purpose detector and as it has been in 45+ yrs past of my own MD'ing career, a multi purpose detector is capable, but not as good as a genuine gold detector. OK, I know what so many think and feel as this has been the history of Multi Purpose detectors. Well since gold detectors are my specialty, and there are at least 10 models out there, I can say for certain how a detector performs for my areas as I have actually used them?

I'm here to tell you the KNOWLEDGE that we have learned while in the field with a NOX chasing gold in 5 different states. If you don't agree with me and feel your trusty VLF dinosaur is doing you fine..I personally have no issues with that.

Please don't think I don't like other VLF gold detectors, as I mentioned above, there are certain things I do like and or prefer vs the NOX, but overall and at this time..the 800 NOX it out of the park.

Here are some pics of Au my customers and I, that are in the know have recovered with the Multi Purpose NOX.

I'd like to see out there who is actually using the Equinox 800 and or even 600 for that matter for Gold Prospecting and some of your Success with it.

And:

Part of the reason I made this post.. Uneducated folks calling me and wanting to get a certain gold machine. No worries, I'll sell it to you, but when you ask how I like your potential new detector? and I tell you I don't own one anymore as I now swing the NOX...don't get pissed off at me.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/12475-equinox-800-for-gold-how-stupid/

Looks like someone's finding gold with the 'Nox.

Granted, the Nox isn't up there with the big ones....but then it doesn't cost $8-10k, and I don't have to visit the chiropractor after swinging it all day.

For some, just being out there trying is reward enough....it's like fishing....you'd like to catch something every time you go out, but if you don't it was still a lot of fun trying. :)

Finding a bit of gold is a bonus.

The Nox /gold monster will and has found many bits of gold all over the world.
Obviously you wouldn't expect it to work like a gpz Gpx or sdc in places like the Golden triangle,WA ect.
But these machines definitely have their places and can be used with great success.
So if someone hasn't retired yet and can only afford the Nox or Gold Monster, which in my opinion would be up there as the two top multi purpose detectors on the market at the moment you just need to understand how to use these machines and where the best places to use them would be.
A GPZ ect would not work any better than the Nox or GM on shallow bedrock along a creek searching the cracks for small gold now would it. :)

In the right kind of ground it's my favourite gold detector and you'll soon learn what the wrong kind of ground is! I'd suggest trying it in all metal over an area so you can see how many false/iron signals might be masking true signals and adjust your swing speed accordingly.

Re (A GPZ ect would not work any better than the Nox or GM on shallow bedrock along a creek searching the cracks for small gold now would it.)

Doubt that my Nox 800 would pick up very small gold, smaller than a pin head that my Z can do, but if there's trash in the creek the Nox is the detector of my choice here.

PeterInSa said:
Re (A GPZ ect would not work any better than the Nox or GM on shallow bedrock along a creek searching the cracks for small gold now would it.)

Doubt that my Nox 800 would pick up very small gold, smaller than a pin head that my Z can do, but if there's trash in the creek the Nox is the detector of my choice here.
Yer mate but if you owned a z would you bother picking up a pin sized bit :)
I wouldnt :lol: :Y:
I'm just saying to those that say the Nox or GM are no good for finding gold they are wrong.
You just have to use them in the conditions they are made for. :)

Just spoke to Mike at Miners Den, Melbourne.....he reckons they're expecting stock of the Nox coils some time in March.

Suggested I call back late Feb for an update....which I'll do.

Gotta get me one of those 10 X 5's.....reckon it will be real handy up in the hills where swinging space is an endangered species.

Katabatic said:
Just spoke to Mike at Miners Den, Melbourne.....he reckons they're expecting stock of the Nox coils some time in March.

Suggested I call back late Feb for an update....which I'll do.

Gotta get me one of those 10 X 5's.....reckon it will be real handy up in the hills where swinging space is an endangered species.
I wish they would bring out a 4 inch :)

Just wondering while i was sniffing around on P/A to see if anyone had changed the SDC 2300 coil shaft ?
I`m thinking on something a little lighter in weight to adapt more so in plastic or carbon fiber not that i`m knocking Minelabs one it is extremely strong and sturdy.
Wanting something i could swing for 4 or 5 hours without having to swap arms i just find personally my right forearm gets fatigued after an hour or so.

Q: by ear stiffeners on the Nox 800, do you mean similar to a USA guy selling a clip that goes over the coil / shaft connection. Called Yerdiggingit.
Are they worth getting? I am careful with the machine..... no brush cutting!

dID THAT WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT...

Dammed Caps lock...

I found leaks around the screen and buttons.

Never from the battery.

After pullin about 4 apart I was only able to repair one unit that had failed and that was due to teh fact that it only had fresh water. All the others had Salt water and were cooked...

It is also how I checked Excaliburs for any cracks around the knobs AND or split end caps in teh Battery compartment.
I did try with my CTX3030 and a couple of others but could never get one to fail...

The Battery section was always good and only leaked if the caps were worn.

PS. Do not do this on a ML Profind 35... Every one I have looked at blows lots of SMOKE out the 2 cracks around the endcap.

PPS. YOU only need a few LITTLE bits of DRY ICE.. You do not need much... YOU CAN cause problems - I did on a old unit I was playing with LOL. Almost popped teh screen off. Ended up cracking the LCD as it bent.

Latest posts