Big Finds In Creswick?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leroy said:
Dead right RM, doesnt happen to me very often, best Ive done was 7 small ones and that was where you went for a quick swing on your way home from Maryborough one day.

7 :D nice :perfect: nice little spot :Y:

Leroy said:
Further to my last re Big gold at Creswick this is the 103 gms found on the day and includes the 2 nuggets (38gms) already shown. A couple of specemins were amongst them but its still a nice haul for the dayhttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7622/1613862380_14953c6b-5f97-4201-ac44-e8a5e6479c7e.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2380_2440d201-b860-468e-be20-defe0c1bddc4.jpg
Awesome. Kicked about in Ces and some
Ballarat areas for a while in my first few yrs chasing. Loved the pine areas! Good on you mate, two big thumbs up! Be proud of that mate! :Y: :Y:

1635934152_fb2ad1eb-4009-407b-a9a2-2aeabf297ee3.jpg

Hasn't moved far... maybe rolled over once as it tore itself away from the much bigger bit.
:eek: :goldnugget: :perfect:

I can't believe how flogged this place is..

I'm not much of a detectorist but I'm amazed by the amount of detector holes (most backfilled).
There is nowhere to go to get away from the activity coz there is a well used track every 50-100m everywhere, the crown land bush has been randomly gridded by 4wd tracks and at the southern Ballarat end even worse with mountain bike tracks.

Bit of an eye opener for me, all the ground here was shallow leads (up to 10m deep), I haven't found a single piece of old lead material anywhere.

The only interesting question I've asked myself is..

Where did all the clay/wash/lead waste material end up?

20xwater said:
I can't believe how flogged this place is..

It's very accessible, relatively close to Melbourne (plus Ballarat of course), and there's been more than 40 years of detectorists wandering through its hills and gullies. The cumulative impact must be considerable.

Met up with an old detectorist close to where I got the bits I shared. He had a 6000 and was great to talk to.
I eventually helped dig a couple of targets for him, was quite interesting listening to the machine, first target as i dug and listened i guessed grew to a .2 , and it did, was only 2-3 inches down.
I stripped 4m2 around it the next day and got nothing.

He was there coz an sdc did well a year ago.
There was 2 other gold monsterers flogging it while I was there and 1 only got 1 bit.

He said his Mrs kicks his a55 with a 5000 + evo every time..
I can't exactly remember the search setting but in (standard) it heard it no problem. Other settings no response..

Haven't spent a lot of time there, no finds todate. However I have spoken with others while there and saw some nice finds of multiple gram pieces upto 4 grams. Like everywhere these days in places that have had attention over the years finds are few and far between. The reported bigger finds are very interesting, I don't doubt some others I do either way unless you're there to witness it who are we to question.