New to the world of prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
Ive decided to start this hobby in the hope I can make it a pass time for my retirement (still a few years away).
Not sure which type of prospecting I want to pursue but, enjoy the idea of finding old relics and gold!
I purchased a small hand held detector Ill use when at the beach snorkelling. Havent an idea where to start with the main detector and would appreciate any advice.
Looking at a budget between $1k-$1.5.

Looking forward to reading all your posts and even maybe contributing.

Stay safe :pickshovel:

Hi, I'm an absolute beginer. Looking for places to pan for gold in Gippsland. I'm in Willung South and hoping to learn a lot about panning. I'll be onto the instructional videos, but looking for research tips - ie how to find acceptable/legal panning spots that will help me learn the craft! (So far I guess there is not much in my area - more towards East Gippsland seems the go?)

My hubby and I also kayak (a lot) and we paddle past spots that I longingly look at and wonder if its a spot to try my luck ?

NurseBev said:
Hi, I'm an absolute beginer. Looking for places to pan for gold in Gippsland. I'm in Willung South and hoping to learn a lot about panning. I'll be onto the instructional videos, but looking for research tips - ie how to find acceptable/legal panning spots that will help me learn the craft! (So far I guess there is not much in my area - more towards East Gippsland seems the go?)

My hubby and I also kayak (a lot) and we paddle past spots that I longingly look at and wonder if its a spot to try my luck ?

Have a good read of this list of rivers where you cannot fossick:

https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...ick/rivers-and-streams-where-you-cant-fossick