Just bought a QED PL3

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day everyone after going through multiple detectors i think i've actually found a really decent one i want to hang onto!!!

The QED PL3.

I've been amazed at how great these detectors actually are!

They are capable of picking up sub gram gold but at the same time also take over a wide variety of minelab coils as well as very highly adapatable to other parts!

Incredibly impressed... i wont be getting rid of this one for a long time!!!

I'm currently using the 8x6 saie coil and 15 NF evo coil with this machine.

It was very easy to use and heck heres some photos of my last adventure with it and a 0.14g piece it picked up 3 inches down!

1613102655_144275269_3971198142899428_7240924700261006438_n.jpg

1613102655_144339389_3971198269566082_843310971911820027_n.jpg

1613102655_144830013_3971198239566085_7247386459873600794_n.jpg

1613102655_144844665_3971198406232735_1159231621715166286_n.jpg

1613102655_145019769_3971316949554214_95343353069448891_n.jpg

Hi, I just bought a QED pl3, and i am having trouble understanding what THS-B is really for and the relationship between THS B & A, also how do you find the best settings in an area you are about to detect, I will be using the sadie coil, Thanks.

cqoz said:
Hi, I just bought a QED pl3, and i am having trouble understanding what THS-B is really for and the relationship between THS B & A, also how do you find the best settings in an area you are about to detect, I will be using the sadie coil, Thanks.

G'day from what i understand THS A is about 30-40 for smaller coils and 50-60 for bigger coils threshold volume basically but it also impacts on depth of the detector coil

gain doesn't mean much it makes very low difference so just run a stable gain and dont pay too much attention to it

THS B is basically bias so you can bias the detector for smaller shallower targets or larger deeper targets or null for both

you pretty much start u the machine choose a mode

so example the sadie coil 8x6 mode 1-3 whatevers stable

then you go ok THS B lower the number until it makes a noise. then raise it until it makes a noise. the middle number in between is called the null
So example its noisy at 40 noisy at 60 the middle number is 50 make sense thats the bias so -2 of that is 48 considered -2 bias and 52 is +2 bias for either smalle ror larger targets

i hope that helps you out heaps!

cqoz said:

In addition to that for my sadie 8x6 advantage coil i use the following settings

MODE 1
Gain 8
THS A 35
THS B -2 bias usually about 47-48
MGB as low as it'll let me go to balance the detector usually in heavily mineralised soils anywhere from 118-135 varying alot!!!

MGB you basically listen to the pitch of the detector when you pump the coil. So i'm not 100% sure which way to go! but initially i lower it by holding the button down while pumping until it shuts the machine up lol...

In addition to that if i'm swinging my coil slowly and its still making random noises that's usuall an indication gain is set too high... so lower the gain or lower THS A

I hope i've given the right information here and hopefully someone can correct me if i'm wrong too but it works for me!!!

cqoz said:

for the 15 inch NF evo coil i am yet to get a true indication of it's settings but i've been told that mode 5 works and a gain of 5 works also but i would run it in NULL so it'll pick up smaller and larger targets and not favour either..

They also told me THS A of 60 ish works well on it

Thanks so much for your help Alienslayer, I'm in Central Qld. I will receive my QED pl3 in about a week, bought 2nd hand.
Apparently they are as good as the Minelabs ?

Hi Alienslayer, Whats the real point in ever increasing THS-A to higher that say 30, because at 30 you get the bet range of THS-B at up to -7 below null and +7 above null, meaning you can concentrate better on tiny or just large targets ???

Him AlienSlayer, I just got my PL3 on Thursday, did some testing with a lead sinker cut into small pieces, one was 0.56 gram - good signal.

One was 0.2 gram, no signal at all, even touching the Sadie coil in Air test, there must be something wrong with my machine or coil, because everyone seems to be able to signal on bits like that at even 3 inches.

Cqoz, should be able to get 30mm+ on a .1 nugget.
Maybee do a check on all your wites and plugs to make sure they are all firmly seated in place (including ribbon cable).
When i am doing the air test i prefer to have coil flat on the ground and wave target above coil. (Not on bench or high in the air to achieve stability for me)
Put her in mode 1, crank gain to 10, then adjust thsb down until your threshold is smooth (dont be scared to drop it right down to low 20's so the threshold is screaming, but solid, then back it up a couple from there (can lower the tone if preferred) Try air test at different thsb settings.
Lowering thsb that low is not something ive really heard of before but it works on my machine providing a smooth threshold and best depth on <.1g

P.s. i am also running a booster amp to acheive these settings. They may or may not work without amp

hippyhunter said:
Maybee do a check on all your wites and plugs to make sure they are all firmly seated in place (including ribbon cable).
When i am doing the air test i prefer to have coil flat on the ground and wave target above coil. (Not on bench or high in the air to achieve stability for me)
Put her in mode 1, crank gain to 10, then adjust thsb down until your threshold is smooth (dont be scared to drop it right down to low 20's so the threshold is screaming, but solid, then back it up a couple from there (can lower the tone if preferred) Try air test at different thsb settings.
Lowering thsb that low is not something ive really heard of before but it works on my machine providing a smooth threshold and best depth on <.1g

P.s. i am also running a booster amp to acheive these settings. They may or may not work without amp
Been sorted HH, wasnt ground balanced properly. :lol:

Being a manually ground balanced detector, the QED presents a bit of of a challenge until one gets the hang of it. Once familiarity is achieved it comes as second nature in getting a functionable tuning. When well tuned the QED achieves surprising useability.

pinfire opals said:
hippyhunter said:

Been sorted HH, wasnt ground balanced properly. :lol:

Ahh good stuff pinfiro. I thought it would be something simple. :Y:

Holy Sh#it,

Just read Reg's post on Dud's floppum, and nearly fell off my couch.

" The differences between various QEDs is staggering. There is no consistency. I have a test pad at my property at which I conduct testing for QED owners. The results are all over the place. Many are well below expectation, and in some cases appalling. I have a PL3 that is a good performer, and this is my benchmark. This is the detector that I use to do comparisons with.
If you think this is BS then I invite QED owners to come to my property and bring their machines to be tested before their eyes. I have had a gut full of being told that I am a liar from Howard.
Have the balls Doug to leave this post up.
"

Copied in full from Australian Electronic Gold Prospecting Forum.

We have had our " differences ", but kudos to you Reg !

Perhaps an apology from Howard and Dud might be in order to all those who told Howard that their QED was a POS, including me, and were told that there was nothing wrong with it, and they were using it wrong ! I won't hold my breath waiting for their apology !!!

Maybe I too had one of these " appalling " ones, but was lambasted for saying so ???????

Rick

Araratgold said:
Holy Sh#it,

" The differences between various QEDs is staggering. There is no consistency. I have a test pad at my property at which I conduct testing for QED owners. The results are all over the place. Many are well below expectation, and in some cases appalling. I have a PL3 that is a good performer, and this is my benchmark. This is the detector that I use to do comparisons with.
If you think this is BS then I invite QED owners to come to my property and bring their machines to be tested before their eyes. I have had a gut full of being told that I am a liar from Howard.
"

Perhaps an apology from Howard and Dud might be in order to all those who told Howard that their QED was a POS, including me, and were told that there was nothing wrong with it, and they were using it wrong ! I won't hold my breath waiting for their apology !!!

Maybe I too had one of these " appalling " ones, but was lambasted for saying so ???????

Rick

No doubt the market will soon be flooded with 2nd hand QED's :eek:

RM Outback said:
Araratgold said:
Holy Sh#it,

"

Rick

No doubt the market will soon be flooded with 2nd hand QED's :eek:

I guess that the quality control on these assembled in Australia detectors leaves a little to be desired. That would make the dud percentages higher than the better made Minelabs. :(

Cheers

Doug

Par for the course. The QED has been surrounded by all sorts of curious and dubious behaviours over time. A mate was also given a very hard time by several supporters (not the fanboys but them as well) even when suggesting his machine was not performing any where near where it should, and took him a second purchase to figure out his assessment was correct from day one.

Despite his experience I remained open minded but was quickly convinced it was a poisoned well, yet still unsure whether the prejudice I was feeling was as a result of my actions or others. Now as the drama unfolds its clearly less of the latter.

To be honest, given Reg's and others findings, I believe that the only honorable thing for Howard to do is a full product recall and sort out the problems !

Those who are new to prospecting probably don't even realise they have a lemon, or sub par machine.

I knew my machine was no good, and stated such, but was howled down by the QED crew, including Reg ( who wasn't a dealer at that stage ) ! :(

Rick

Araratgold said:
UPDATE :

To Reg's credit, he has just publicly apologised to me on Finders Forum for the shite he gave me over my experience with the QED.

It takes a good man to do that, more kudos to Reg !

Rick

:clap: :clap: nothing beats an honest person especially those who have the guts to apologise :power: more strength to you Reg :beer:

Typical Dud !

The heat of Reg feeding it to Howard got too much on his floppum, so he closed the thread to all but his members ( less than 10 of which are active ), and demands that we join if we want to continue reading about Howard's arse reaming.

Gutless wonder !

What about the public's right to know Dud ?? :mad:

Rick

Moderator Edit

Please do not bring that crap over here.

You Have been Warned.