Prospecting / Miners pick information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A-team said:
Does anyone know where or even "if" you can buy full size prospecting pick heads made of titanium? I know I'm going to get all sorts of opinions here but MY reasoning is existing injuries that are aggravated by carrying weight, but I still have no problem giving it a full over-head swing if needed.

I usually carry a medium CC pick which was heavier (till it snapped!) and currently carry the Discoverer;

This pick is designed to dig large holes for the prospectors who dont mind the extra weight of a powerful pick.

Pick head: 6mm

Handle length: 900mm

Weight: 1350g

I really like the size of the pick heads and length of handle combinations - I understand the weight contributes to it's purpose and abilities, but what a titanium pick might lack in weight I will make up for in the swing!

Also, titanium while light and strong, doesn't have the best surface hardness, but for prospecting - I think it would be fine...cost, well, I'd wear that.

I can't help you with titanium but if you can get your hands on a light weight plough disc and cut a pick head from that I think you'll end up with a strong light weight pick.

Two picks I made from an old plow disks and laminated Meranti for handles. 5oomm on the short one and 800mm on the long. Light weight and work real well. Meranti used in the handle to cut down on weight and laminated to add a bit more strength. Made the 800mm so I didn't have to bend down so much. Haven't had any use for awhile, can't walk far these days.

1613846536_20210221_043115.jpg

1613846565_20210221_043131.jpg

Thanks for the information - think I need to look at how much it will cost and where in Victoria I can get this made. Would only be a few bucks in Russia, any one from there reading this??? In the meantime - might have to look at other ways or types of pick to lighten the weight....

I got my disc from an Old Farmer Joe Blow. Disc was worn out and on his scrap heap. Sport piece of pipe welded on. Do you have a welder? If I can do it any one can :cool:

The 7000 will aggravate old injuries ;)
If the titanium is too expensive it might be cheaper to trade DOWN to a 6000, lol. its half the weight they say.
Ah such is old age grasshopper , I hear what you say though, I am making a longer 900 handle (from 600) as I tried one out last week and it made digging so much easier not bending over so much.

I've got the Z-search on now; huge difference in weight felt plus I am looking at a 3030 battery for half the weight and have a spare in the car. It was funny that the pick felt significantly heavier after reducing the coil weight on the 7000.

Am going to look into it during this week for some options. I do like the longer handle and wider scraping edges. The extension and leverage makes things a lot easier, unfortunately the bigger you go the heavier.

I'm curious as to how light I can go with standard steel, was even thinking of a few lightening hole drilled through the scraper side. I do have a gasless mig set-up that Im pretty handy with....

Feral - can you show us some measurements on the pick head?

You already have the welder. You very likely have a little grinder so with a 1mm cutting disk and a little imagination you can create anything you like.

1613904780_plough.jpg

You'll need to hunt down a plough disk but if you can't find an old one perhaps a new one would do the trick. A regular piece of mild steel won't do the job. The plough disk is high tensile steel and has a nice curvature.

Moneybox said:
You already have the welder. You very likely have a little grinder so with a 1mm cutting disk and a little imagination you can create anything you like.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1613904780_plough.jpg

You'll need to hunt down a plough disk but if you can't find an old one perhaps a new one would do the trick. A regular piece of mild steel won't do the job. The plough disk is high tensile steel and has a nice curvature.

Same as a car leaf spring but may be too heavy for you.

Cheers

Doug

A prospecting pick made of titanium is unnecessary and is way more expensive than you can imagine and difficult to produce . Instead I would recommend you purchase and have shipped to you one of the prospector pics that I bought from Keene Engineering in California. Www.keeneeng.com

https://www.keeneeng.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DP32

This pick is made of AR500 hardened armor plate steel.

Mark Keene Is the owner , very knowledgeable and a nice guy. Here is the photograph of the 32 inch Prospecting pick that I just purchased to replace another prospecting pick made of Harrow blade steel.

Plow disc and a Bunnings handle. Stays in ute until I'm lucky enough to find a deep dig. Hasn't struck a blow to date, needless to say bedrock is only about 300mm so there is no need to bring out the heavy artillery. Old favourite (30+yo) still hangs on my chest, now with the GPZ.

1613954775_gpz7000_harness_mods_010.jpg

1613954463_pick.jpg

1613954463_pick2.jpg

BeachBunnyTRHunter-PA said:
A prospecting pick made of titanium is unnecessary and is way more expensive than you can imagine and difficult to produce . Instead I would recommend you purchase and have shipped to you one of the prospector pics that I bought from Keene Engineering in California. Www.keeneeng.com

https://www.keeneeng.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DP32

This pick is made of AR500 hardened armor plate steel.

Mark Keene Is the owner , very knowledgeable and a nice guy. Here is the photograph of the 32 inch Prospecting pick that I just purchased to replace another prospecting pick made of Harrow blade steel.

Actually already have the 16 inch Keene - light handle, heavy head.

Can't see any mention of weights for either?

The high density fiberglass handle makes this pick the lightest pic in the industry!

Maybe I'm missing something?? Weights for larger pick.....

Another large plow disc pick I made, has a wooden 60mm handle. Used the oxy and folded the sides then let it cool under a layer of lime. You will also note I welded an extra tip. Weld run only lengthwise otherwise tip would be prone to snap off. (No doubt these photos are already on here from days gone bye.)

1613960717_pick1.jpg

1613960717_pick2.jpg

1613960717_pick3.jpg

1613960717_pick4.jpg

1613960717_pick5.jpg

Nightjar said:
Another large plow disc pick I made, has a wooden 60mm handle. Used the oxy and folded the sides then let it cool under a layer of lime. You will also note I welded an extra tip. Weld run only lengthwise otherwise tip would be prone to snap off. (No doubt these photos are already on here from days gone bye.)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1414/1613960717_pick5.jpg

That is a deluxe pick head right there! Way to go! :D :Y: :clap: :clap:

This is for those starting out.

At first it seems that a $20 bunnings 400mm handle small cast head pick will do fine and truth is if you are in hard rock free ground and only go out a couple of times a year then they are probably are fine - I have one as my backup pick that lives in the car.

I must say though that the times I have used it (when I have forgotten my main pick at home -Dohh!) I find it horrible - the balance is all wrong, you get much wearier digging a deep hole & the short handle means you have to get on your knees for all targets which is a p.i.t.a.

A proper prospecting pick with a hard but springy plate steel head with a hardwood handle (of 600mm or so for a one handled pick) is sooooo much nicer to use even though both picks will weigh 1200g approx.

A one handed pick is nice if you have the strength to use it as you can dig targets down to 150mm without kneeling if the ground is not too difficult. If you need 2 hands or mainly dig deep targets then a 2 handed pick - 700 or 800mm handle is the go but their head is bigger as well so a bit more weight to lug around & handle can get in the way more when walking, depending on how you carry it.

I personally have a Gold Digger Standard 600mm pick made in NSW and just love it. Only mod was to drill the collar to mount a rare earth magnet.

Yes a proper prospecting pick is 5-6x the price of a Bunnings one but after using it for a few hours you wont go back to the Trojan.