Kilkivan, Near Gympie (Qld) Queensland

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know...I don't know why I never thought of that?!

I think we'll send you to school next year Wally. Ya really going ahead in leaps and bounds.

SunriseBoy said:
I mentioned about all the pine trees and how the Chinese apparently ate a lot of pine nuts. Well, after sleeping on it; if they ate them, how did all the trees grow over such a uniformed pattern. They almost look as though they were planted deliberately. But that wasn't the case.

Any thoughts on that please.
The 'pine trees' in old texts are not the plantation trees you would be talking about. The chinese pine was only a little stick plant about knee high and grew small nuts they nibbled on. Sometimes Gill placed some in his drawings of the goldfields / rush

I've never heard of such nonsense, ( qld parliament ownership of gold ..pffft ) but dunno mate

Thanks for that AR. Yes, I appreciate the Chinese pine was very small, that's what caught my eye with these radiata spp. being fairly tall and a bit too uniform in the configuration. When I'm there tomorrow I'll ask the owners.

As to the Qld. govt. arrogating the ownership of gold on private properties, I can only relay to you what was told to me from land-owners there.

I'll make some more inquiries.

Qld Mineral Resources Act 1989 said:
Part 5
8 General provisions for minerals and mining tenements
Crowns property in minerals
(1) Gold on or below the surface of land is the property of the Crown.

Qld Government said:
https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/fossicking/rules/permitted-activities/

Sale and trade of collected material

You can sell the occasional lucky find of a gemstone or sell and trade to hobbyists or through fairs and exhibitions. However, repeated removal for sale through shops or businesses, or as part of making a living, is considered commercial, and requires tenure under theMineral Resources Act 1989.

Royalties are payable on fossicking materials that are the property of the Crown, but threshold exemptions of $100,000 mean that generally most fossickers are not liable.

Thanks mbasco.

I felt a bit uneasy being told people had received a letter outlining the above and there was not much response.

No worries - if the landholders have any concerns just show them the above. Basically anything you find worth under $100k is exempt from their royalties.
Anything over was found in another state ;)

Hi Sunrise Boy,

Just noticed your local to our region.

Have sent you a PM.

Cheers

Qlden

is there still any gold around the kilkivan area as well map of old gold mining lease as well leases for sale now a days

Just about all private property these days and the locals don't like prospecting in their creeks or anywhere else to be honest.
Especially up black snake Mountain area.
You can get a few colours in fat duck Creek at the free camping spot.

Threats of violence will not be tolerated on the forum regardless of the issue being discussed.
Please, make sure you guys get written permission. I've found a number of individuals prospecting on my property multiple times an claim they had permission. I am honestly sick of explaining too prospectors an two wheeled hero's they are trespassing. Get permission! You might be lucky enough to be pointed in the right direction!
IMG_20230601_171848.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dean,

Where is the black snake area? I wouldn't mind going out that way and giving it a go with the old SD2000...

Tugga... where are you finding all these 0.5g nuggets mate? - bloody good effort haha

Luke.
Shamrock mine and the access road is private so stay outta there. It's just a warning 🫡

Last edited by a moderator:
Shamrock mine and the access road is private so stay outta there. It's just a warning 🫡
The majority of these posts are 8-9 years old & either state they have access permission or are enquiring about access. It's also stated "Shamrock which is under lease by d'aguilar gold and a lot of the old mines are under exploration lease by them to".
No members here are saying anything about illegal access or going onto Mining Tenaments!

The majority of these posts are 8-9 years old & either state they have access permission or are enquiring about access. It's also stated "Shamrock which is under lease by d'aguilar gold and a lot of the old mines are under exploration lease by them to".
No members here are saying anything about illegal access or going onto Mining Tenaments!
Hahaha Okay, Matt🤭 your unreal! Too gain access an permission around that area' the local mining department an council will happily advise n supply anyone interested in prospecting that area with the right information an contacts to carry out your prospecting safety an lawfully. If you don't understand, I'm happy too share the direct contact information with you so you can educate yourself on the amount of people who have been trespassing around that area for alot more than 10 years. I'm well aware of John's mines an leases' too gain access to these sites you have too either cut through national park or cross private property. It is clearly spoke about on here the No prospecting/trespassing signs an how the locals aren't very accommodating because ov the past experiences.

For interested members:
https://www.hipcamp.com/en-AU/land/queensland-mcsweeny-haven-zwjh78nn?adults=1&children=0

Hahaha Okay, Matt🤭 your unreal! Too gain access an permission around that area' the local mining department an council will happily advise n supply anyone interested in prospecting that area with the right information an contacts to carry out your prospecting safety an lawfully. If you don't understand, I'm happy too share the direct contact information with you so you can educate yourself on the amount of people who have been trespassing around that area for alot more than 10 years. I'm well aware of John's mines an leases' too gain access to these sites you have too either cut through national park or cross private property. It is clearly spoke about on here the No prospecting/trespassing signs an how the locals aren't very accommodating because ov the past experiences.
I fully understand how to gain permission for property access & have more private property + Crown Land permissions than I'll ever cover in my lifetime. Thanks though for the offer.
You are more than welcome to share this info with members to help them with gaining access through the correct channels though.

Once again you are assuming that because members have mentioned no trespassing signage or that locals can be hard to approach that they are or had been doing the wrong thing. If you bothered reading & understanding the posts you'd realise they are merely warning other members of the difficulties in getting access there.