New NSW Mineral View Site - Minview information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I was having a look at the New MinView site today doing a bit of a hunt...I didn't expect to find this in the 'notes' on my chosen Location... ]:D ]:D ]:D

QUOTE Notes: Scattered pits are developed in eluvium near the top of the ridge. These have prospected abundant white quartz float evidently searching for a concealed pipe. No mineralisation was observed, although the small marijuhana crop on the rocky flank of the hill could be a valuable commodity. Hydrothermally-derived pipe QUOTE..... 8) ]:D

LW....

They certainly Do... I never expected that to come up tho, and there is a house near-by as well.. :lol:

. The Mines Department have been very busy, cause every 'Location' I have been too has been Field Checked... ]:D

LW...

Heres the New Mineral View Site for NSW
https://minview.geoscience.nsw.gov.au/#/?bm=bm1&z=6&lat=148.9143431&lon=-32.6560775

Attention : Retirement of Public Geoscientific Data Warehouse - 31 July, 2018
We wish to advise that the public Geoscientific Data Warehouse (GDW) website will be retired on 31 July, 2018. This is due to the GDW having been superceded by the new MinView system, an online web mapping application that vastly improves the search and discovery of geoscientific data in NSW. This means that this website http://dwh.minerals.nsw.gov.au/CI/warehouse will not be available from August this year, however we will continue to provide the Google Earth kml file for those users who like to explore our data in Google Earth. A link will be provided in due course. All functionality and datasets currently available in the GDW have been included into MinView along with many additional features. We encourage all users to switch to MinView and explore the new ways to search and discover geocientific data held by the Geological Survey of NSW.

This will be interesting to see the can of worms open.
Over the last while I have been studying Minview for resources recorded. Well I can now say they are rubbish and missing a huge amount of mineral and mine information that was available from the department of mines 20 years ago.
Is this a planned govt ploy or are they just lazy transferring geological and historical recorded resource data regarding gold from areas.
I have found that areas that have produced vast amounts of gold barely mention a sentance and other areas that have produced gold are not even recorded.!
Most of their information seems to have been compiled from sampling/ geological data from the 70's/80's not from the historical 1800's reports.
Maybe you have to get the pay for subscription to get the historical and up to date data?
Any ideas please???

Can't say I've used Minview - wrong state. You probably hit it on the head with the geological data collection from 70/80's though. They probably believe that's more accurate than old 1800's historical data. Maybe they haven't input it all from the Dept of Mines 20 years ago yet - working their way up to it...

There are other places to get historical gold maps if you want them. Minview is not the only resource there is to find gold areas.
So I don't see why they'd deliberately exclude it when you can do that - it's not like it's hidden from everyone if they don't record it.

I don't know about having to pay the subscription to see it, so can't comment there.
Is there anyone on the forum who pays the subscription who can confirm this?

I am not sure if I am correct but maybe the pay subscription allows you access to mine/drill/assay reports etc?????

goldtrapper said:
This will be interesting to see the can of worms open.
Over the last while I have been studying Minview for resources recorded. Well I can now say they are rubbish and missing a huge amount of mineral and mine information that was available from the department of mines 20 years ago.
Is this a planned govt ploy or are they just lazy transferring geological and historical recorded resource data regarding gold from areas.
I have found that areas that have produced vast amounts of gold barely mention a sentance and other areas that have produced gold are not even recorded.!
Most of their information seems to have been compiled from sampling/ geological data from the 70's/80's not from the historical 1800's reports.
Maybe you have to get the pay for subscription to get the historical and up to date data?
Any ideas please???
bugger :awful:

it's free and doesn't pinpoint gold deposits :awful: :8

pay the money ;)

There is no paid subscription to Minview.
There is only 2 levels of user - guest user & registered user. Both are free. Both have access to the same level of information, map layers (over 100 layers) etc.
The only differences are when you register you can save specific map views & set + receive alerts on title changes or expiration.
I don't know what areas you're looking at but a brief search revealed that a lot of the marked points do indeed still have a brief historic summary, links or report numbers for DIGS to get exploration reports etc., reference to NSW Metallogenic maps etc. I have an older version of the NSW Metallogenic maps for my area with reference notes & all that information does appear to be on the new Minview?
Keep in mind Minview only has the recorded mining areas. Many historic diggings weren't recorded. Even those that were recorded didn't always give good information back then. Unfortunately travelling reporters seemed to give the best account of the diggings & many of these reports can be found on Trove. Also Government Geologists reports from the era can be found on DIGS.
Some exploration reports are confidential on DIGS. These are likely where exploration is actively ongoing. Never had any problem accessing older reports or where exploration leases have expired.

Heres a random but fairly standard Minview summary:
Metallic and Industrial Deposits

101888 - Mount Laut Mines
(Mount Laut Mines, Mount Hope, NW Exploration area)
Coords:-31.911332,149.491482
Mga_coordsys:MGA_55SMga_north:6466684 Mga_east:735593
Loc_method:250K Accuracy:250 Grid_loc:Leases on parish map, on portion 16
Major_comm:Cu Size_code:SML Comm_type:MET MINMet_prefix:GILGANDRA Met_no:0004 Hist_map:GI0004 Geo_province:Lachlan Orogen Metal_dist:Gilgandra Op_state:not operating Op_status:ceased Op_method:underground mine Lga:Coolah Locality:portions 16, 26, 45, 46, 136?, County Lincoln, Parish Bullinda. Length:208.00 Width:2.10 Depth:63.00 Dep_dip_dir:310 Dep_dip_plunge:73 Strike:40 Work_desc:Both underground and surface mining. Sum_desc:There were several workings in the area, with parallel reefs mentioned east and west of the main workings (Carne, 1908). Drillholes have intersected anomalous mineralisation (GS1999/151). Compiler:pM Downes 05/01/1996 Last_update:2007-06-22 Occur_size:Small Update_hist:Fri Jun 22 2007 longd PM Downes 1/9/1996, Stephen Wood 22/02/1999, RP McEvilly 31/12/00, Other classification RP McEvilly & PM Downes Sept 03
Notes:Rocks of near greenschist facies assemblege exhibiting a strong schistocity were responsible for harnessing the ore within its clevage planes. Trace gold. Some arsenic. Quartz veins cut these rocks but only occasionally coincide with the foliation. Possible shears at 230-240mag (Carne 1908; Langley 1972). GS1999/151-drillholes include: 4m at 0.37% Cu. GS1999/150-rock chips to: 10.8% Cu. GS1991/140-rock chips to: 4300ppm Pb, 20ppm Ag, >1% Cu. GS1968/053-Mount Laut South about 300m to the south, 9m wide. MR00612-Mount Hope situated on portion 136?, 2.1m wide at 21m, strike 30mag, dip NW, bedded veins, 800m long, to 60m deep, 2oz/t Ag, some tin, about 3.36t Cu from about 27t. Parish map indicates leases trend ~NNE, prospecting shafts several hundred metres to NW also. Major_source:publication Commodities CuMAJOR AgMINOR AuMINOR Current Resource Estimates---
ProductionPeriod: Unknown Period Ore:80tCateg:Actual Production

Ag:0 Produced, Avg Grade: 57g/t

Cu:8t Produced, Avg Grade: 10% Estimate

Minerals Chalcopyritemajor ore Copper Carbonate major ore Pyritemajor ore Quartzmajor gangue Limoniteminor gangue Mineralisation Style Disseminated Stockwork Host Rock(slate) "?dacitic Composition" Ordovician?(Ordovician -> )(phyllite) Ordovician?(Ordovician -> )Relation to Host Fault Contact Alteration---
Ore Texture Schistose Placer---
Classification unclassified Cu Broken Hill or Other Classificationhydrothermal Structurally controlled high sulfide base metal (+/- Au)NSW Deposit Type Classfication Hydrothermal metamorphic base metal
References: Carne J.E. (1908a) The Copper-Mining Industry and the Distribution of Copper Ores in New South Wales. 2nd Edn 2018-10-12DocType:Mineral Resources
Matson C.R. (1975a) Dubbo 1:250,000 Metallogenic Map Mine Data Sheets 2018-10-12DocType: Mine Data SheetsDIGS:R00050808
Parish Map 2018-10-12DocType: Parish Map(1999) 2018-10-12GS:GS1999/151(1999) 2018-10-12GS:GS1999/150(1991) 2018-10-12GS:GS1991/140(1968) 2018-10-12GS:GS1968/053
Langley W.V. (1972a) Fieldwork Gilgandra 1:250 000 sheet metallogenic mapping 2018-10-12DocType: Fieldwork 2018-10-12DocType: Mine RecordGS:MR00612

Sure, minvew is a great tool with lots of information but has no where the information you could find if you travelled all the way to the mines dept at the big smoke in Sydney in the 80's to look up historical bits. I guess they have not transferred a lot of historical data.
Now please correct me if I am wrong and I am more than happy for you to point me in the correct direction.
Case in point "Chambers Creek" workings Hill End. It is a house hold name but try to find it and any information on minvew I cannot. I can find information elsewhere on the net.

Also that Mount Laut Mines example provided is one of the few with such information. Most have little information.

Like a lot of small gold towns I have been researching, take Cargo NSW for example when you click on most of the triangles they give generic information. There is not even any mention of the alluvial workings that was carried out there. It was a fully developed mine in its time and there would have been accurate records.

Apart from a bit of a sook this post is more to let newer people to the forum like me know that there is lots more information on the gold areas in NSW than you can find on Minvew. You just have to find it. lol

Goldtrapper,

I'm from WA so not familiar with Minview, but can relate your experience to the Geoview and WAMEX databases in WA.

It is unlikely that the electronic databases simply have been updated with older data, especially from that far back. You might find a point location with a gold symbol from an old reported 'occurrence' and that'd be it.

The departments were pretty good at compiling data (ie. produced ounces) from the reports sent in from mining operations and early prospectors, but often not much other info was recorded. Hence it's not available now. Officially. But yeah for sure, state archives of newspapers and other reports of the time will often have a lot of 'unofficial info' not reported to the department of the day but was certainly newsworthy enough to be printed.

Regarding the inputting of historic data, the departments do work backwards in time from recent to older data. And there is a massive backlog of data to go through so it will take years and years to get most of it in.

Also, if you're referring to information in old reports, as in written descriptions like State Geologist's Reports from when they checked out a new goldfield and not data, it's unlikely that any actual data from those reports will ever be digitised. You'll have to read the reports to pull out any data. But electronic scans of the hard copy reports should be available online and searchable.

Good luck with your hunting

Chambers Creek:

Metallic and Industrial Deposits

105191 - Chambers Creek Mines
(Chambers Creek Mines, Sir John Moore Mine) Coords:-33.121470,149.399955 Mga_coordsys:MGA_55S Mga_north:6332683 Mga_east:723913 Loc_method:25K Accuracy:100 Major_comm:Au Size_code:SML Comm_type:METMIN Met_prefix:BATHURST Met_no:0184 Hist_map:BA0048 Geo_province:Lachlan Orogen Metal_dist:not assigned Op_state:not operating Op_status:ceased Op_method:underground mine Lga:Evans Locality:10km S of Hill End Length:100.00 Width:50.00 Dep_dip_dir:90 Dep_dip_plunge:60 Strike:360 Work_desc:Shafts and pits over 1000m x <50m Sum_desc:2 east dipping reefs main one General Bourke reef extensively worked, other had only 'cursory prospecting work' Compiler:MJ Drummond 1994 Last_update:1997-06-30 Occur_size:Small Update_hist:MJ Drummond 1994, Migrated by N. Raphael 30/6/1997., Other classification RP McEvilly & PM Downes Sept 03 Notes: Deposit orientation data recorded in earlier database structure as: Strike= 360, Dip= 60E?. Deposit dimension data recorded in earlier database structure as: Length= 100m [workings], Depth= UN, Width= <50m [workings] (note UN means unknown). Major_source:publication Commodities AuMAJOR Current Resource Estimates---
ProductionPeriod: Unknown Period Ore: 1524.071tCateg: Actual Production

Au:0.0163t Produced, Avg Grade: 10.714g/t

Minerals Goldmajor ore Quartzmajor gangue Mineralisation Style Multi-vein Host Rock Chesleigh Group (slate) Slate And Meta-greywacke(Late Silurian -> Early Devonian) Chesleigh Group (greywacke) Slate And Meta-greywacke(Late Silurian -> Early Devonian) Relation to Host Discordant Alteration---
Ore Texture---
Placer---
Classification Vein AuBroken Hill or Other Classification veinGeneral geological model hydrothermal Structurally controlled low sulfide AuNSW Deposit Type Classfication Hydrothermal metamorphic AuDeposit Shape---
Stuctures---
Current Tenements EL8289TAS ID:28332 Project References---
References:
Stevens B.P.J. (1972) Bathurst 1:250 000 Metallogenic Map SI/55-8 Mine Data Sheets. 2018-10-12DocType: Metallogenic Study & Mine Data SheetsDIGS:R00050802
Stevens B.J.P.; Geological Survey of New South Wales (1968) Bathurst 1:250 000 Metallogenic Map SI/55-8, First Edition 1968 2018-10-12DIGS:R00027843
Walton R. (1970) Prospecting reports, A to P 3029, Hawkins Hill - Hill End area. 2018-10-12GS:GS1970/267(1974) 2018-10-12GS:GS1974/192(1988) 2018-10-12GS:GS1988/234

Most of the mines in my area have a relatively comparable amount of information - some with more historic information & some with less. Nobody ever said Minview should be your only source of information.

Cargo St Alluvials is on of the points that comes up on Minview so unsure why you don't get any alluvial info there?

Chambers Creek is hardly a household name - well not in the same respect as Hill End, Tambaroora, Sofala, Hargraves, Ophir etc.

To drill down on the generic info provided you need to learn how to use Minview to get links to DIGS or use it in conjunction with DIGS using the reports numbers referenced.
Minview User Manual:
https://minview.geoscience.nsw.gov.au/docs/minview-user-manual-170627.pdf
DIGS can also be a little bit tricky to get used to for freestyle searches but there is plenty of info available for those who persist with it. :Y:
Edit:
Link to DIGS - https://www.resourcesandgeoscience....nce-information/services/online-services/digs
Records date back to 1875.

Thanks mbasco, just goes my inexperience and novice frustration.lol
Found it thanks.
Next question is why do the co-ordinates given in the minview report not match the live co-ordinatants whne the curser is on the map?
Cheers.

Don't know on the coordinates? Can only assume any from the 70's 80's etc. might not be that accurate? I have seen a few say something along the lines of coordinates not verified.
I've found most reasonably accurate or close enough to find what I was looking for.

Hi Guys,

Just getting my head around MinView, looking for crown land locations that we are allowed to fossick on.

An example screenshot for the purposes of discussion.

U6YfI98.png

So here I have selected a hypothetical area in Bateman's Bay (never been there, so go your hardest if you want to look there :playful: )

I have selected 'Crown Land' and it states;

NSW Crown Land data set. State owned and managed land.

From my understanding, we are allowed to prospect there then, right? Just want to get clarification as there are so many ins and outs to all of this and don't need to be shot at or get hefty fines.

As you can see I am really trying to do everything I can to do the right thing (by all of us really). Only takes one goose to ruin it for us all.

The only way to know for sure is to contact Crown Lands with DP & Lot No.s.
Crown Land can be managed, under lease or under permit all of which requires permission to access & fossick/prospect.
The only Crown Land you can go on without permission is where it's unmanaged & not tenured.
(It sucks especially where people have dodgy leases/permits over Crown Land but are obviously not using it for the stated use/conditions)!
There is no easy way to get this information on the interweb. All mapping applications will only tell you if it's Crown Land - not the status of it. Unfortunately you have to contact Crown Lands unless you know that there is standing permission to access & fossick/prospect like some Commons, Reserves etc. throughout NSW.

Hey guys. I found a spot Id like to go panning tomorrow, checked the forestry map and MinView. But it appears the river is crown land.
Is that right?

But all the waterways seem to be in my area.
Whats the go with crown land? I assume a big big no no like national parks

Its all new to me and I find Im spending ages trying to find access to places Im allowed to be which has put me off going.

I had planned to park and jump down from the bridge and walk up river a bit further into the state forest side. But now having second thoughts obviously.

Am I reading the map right? It is crown land yes?

1613548564_f12ca39f-11d6-4934-aa4a-8658dc3c7ea7.jpg

StoneTheCrows said:
Minview green is usually State Forest
Send the coords and I can doublecheck for you

Red is usually Crown Land

probably should have clarified better, because i was going off the forestry maps i knew it was state forest, but the river comes up as crown on MinView, ill send them to you anyway.

Latest posts