You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

sovereignonetrick
14 February 2021 05:21 pm

I have tried looking up on the government website and was unable to find a proper answer which was convoluted. I've also tried looking up my council which is the Inner West without them mentioning anything about fossicking. Can anyone help me out? Bonus: What other councils allow metal detecting in parks in NSW.

Last edited by sovereignonetrick (14 February 2021 05:40 pm)

Jaros
14 February 2021 05:46 pm

Welcome SOT. Research is part of the game. smile

F1A4M2, GPX4500, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

sovereignonetrick
14 February 2021 05:53 pm

So if nothing is mentioned about my local council park it is safe to assume I'm allowed to carefully metal detect there?

Last edited by sovereignonetrick (14 February 2021 05:54 pm)

mbasko
14 February 2021 06:00 pm

Contact your local council.
You need permission to detect on any public/crown land in NSW.

Last edited by mbasko (14 February 2021 06:01 pm)

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

2 users like this post: aussiefarmer, AngerManagement

reefer
14 February 2021 07:42 pm

You will find that there is no fossicking in National Parks my friend. Except for Torrington in the north... Tenterfield Office for enquiries..and the Abercrombie Karst Recreation area(Groves Ck section only..Maybe Bathurst office for enquiries and There is one more section south east of Tuena I think I have had a blank moment and can't remember what it's called :rolleyes: ..Ishould know ...as I wrote a submission to the enquiry over it.Sorry...
You can however fossick in many of Our Forestry NSW areas...which requires a 'Permit to Fossick'. $27.50 per year... Go to the Forestry NSW website to purchase and download a hard-copy. Your research skills will determine which of them is the best place for you to start and the answer to that is simple...you go where gold is known to occur...so perhaps you could start by sussing-out those areas not too distant from where you live. that way you can practice using your gear..pans and sliuce,etc or your Metal Detector...whatever..at this stage you cannot use a high banker equipped with a motorised process system.
Good Luck ter ya...till I see yer 'at the diggins' :cool: Rossco.

Last edited by reefer (14 February 2021 08:06 pm)

We swear by the Southern Cross, to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our Rights and Liberties.

dam it
Banned
Banned
14 February 2021 08:27 pm

reefer wrote:

You will find that there is no fossicking in National Parks my friend. Except for Torrington in the north... Tenterfield Office for enquiries..and the Abercrombie Karst Recreation area(Groves Ck section only..Maybe Bathurst office for enquiries and There is one more section south east of Tuena I think I have had a blank moment and can't remember what it's called roll ..Ishould know ...as I wrote a submission to the enquiry over it.Sorry...
You can however fossick in many of Our Forestry NSW areas...which requires a 'Permit to Fossick'. $27.50 per year... Go to the Forestry NSW website to purchase and download a hard-copy. Your research skills will determine which of them is the best place for you to start and the answer to that is simple...you go where gold is known to occur...so perhaps you could start by sussing-out those areas not too distant from where you live. that way you can practice using your gear..pans and sliuce,etc or your Metal Detector...whatever..at this stage you cannot use a high banker equipped with a motorised process system.
Good Luck ter ya...till I see yer 'at the diggins' cool Rossco.

big_smile Hi Rossco thumbsup
Have not seen You about for a while sad
Hope all is well power

We have Lumps of it out the back ................

Dave79
14 February 2021 08:38 pm

If you're talking about a council owned park in town, go for it. If there's a problem a council worker will let you know..... if they care playful

Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one keeps getting away!

1 user likes this post: grubstake

reefer
14 February 2021 09:04 pm

Dam it...G'day cool I've been here...albeit, somewhat 'in-cognito' lol I am well, looking forward to the coming season of cooler weather and an unbelievable opportunity in the very near future.! ;)The lawns and gardens after recent rains, are keeping me busy and I'm an old codger...so most nights.I'm in the cot dream'in about that! tongue lol lol big_smile After much ado about ..nothing really...here on this forum ...in the recent past . I found myself very much disillusioned and contemplating what my main priorities are at this point in time in terms of my continued contributions.At this stage I am not giving it much thought at all big_smile hence, I suppose, my humble absence! angel and leather work is slowly but surely taking hold of me and forcing me to contemplate the next project lol lol and put into practice the lessons I've learned from the mistakes I made...and boy!...I made plenty! tongue lol lol ...So all's well with Rossco...'see yer at the diggins'

Last edited by reefer (14 February 2021 09:43 pm)

We swear by the Southern Cross, to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our Rights and Liberties.

4 users like this post: dam it, wiley coyote, Detectist, DrDuck

Detecta
14 February 2021 10:40 pm

If you do mean a council park in town make sure you leave no trace where you've dug a hole. We don't want them putting up NO DETECTING signs.

3 users like this post: Eldorado, Sandta, Heatho

Goldpick
17 February 2021 12:29 am

Try to use hand tools vs taking a shovel into local parks, usually the first thing that locals will report in if seen in use. Also be aware of buried reticulation in the more well kept parks, a shovel hole in the wrong spot could cause a world of hurt. Responses from councils will vary on use of detectors in a park situation, as many do not have specific by-laws for detecting, though do have by-laws on causing deliberate damage to their grounds (hence why neat recovery of a target is an essential skill).

Some parks may have zones of historic importance and have heritage status, so something worth investigating further. There are some parks around here that have heritage status slapped on them, are well manicured or have historic structures in them, so I tend to avoid those. The less used or scrappier parks are the ones I usually head for, though being in a country area it is probably less of an issue vs detecting in a well known city park. Simple fact is that if you are asked to leave by council personnel, better off to just move on.

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Equinox 600, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, XP MI-6, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

AngerManagement
Repairs + X-pointers
Repairs + X-pointers
17 February 2021 01:11 am

Detecting does not harm any park Structure or grounds or grass... No studies done that I am aware of; to indicate if the frequencies have any impact on growth or health of grasses...

Detecting is harmless.

HOWEVER;

Disturbing of grasses and or soil or removal of soils is covered by bylaws and regulations for every council or public park across Australia.

Thus if asking a council or ranger YOU need to be correct in you use of words in describing the activity you wish to perform.

Most know that Practising with a Golf iron in a park is a NO NO... But it is not about the ball, as if you damage a car or house window - you are liable. The activity often leads to DIVIOTS and many do not replace or the divot dies and leaves a mess. The disturbing / damage to grasses is the real issue for teh Council.

Ask a Council ranger / or admin if you can use a detector and many will say they can not find and mention of a metal detector in the rules.

Tell them you have a digging implement and wish to dig plugs and holes in the grass for coins and bottle tops and scrap ; and see how many rules they can toss at you..

Main reason, if some one hurts themselves; they have to option to sue the council and can site that the grounds have not been managed/ maintained. We had a Solicitor and a Council person do a short talk on Public Parks and Theft by finding.... Lots of people kept looking at the floor....

Last edited by AngerManagement (17 February 2021 01:12 am)

Best find - The Wife # Equipment - X-Pointer x 4, Nokta Fors Gold Plus, Excalibur II, CTX3030 and a Minore III with custom wood - and lots of other stuff