Ultrasonic Cleaners for Gold Nuggets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all just wondering if anyone has tried a ultrasonic cleaner to clean gold I was wondering what type you have and was it successful have seen coils cleaned with them but not gold nugs .PP

Hi pirate , Ive used a friends ultrasonic ,seems to work .
Aldi have them cheap from time to time ,keep an eye out for one .
Cheers Booney.

Yes I have both with an expensive one and a cheap model, they work very well but take a long time to produce the results. Don't forget to save the sediment usually it contains trace gold as well.
cheers db

Hi PP,

Bought a $35 cleaner from eBay a couple of months ago. Throw the gold in some water and turn it on and you can see the dirt lifting off. Sit the gold in a small plastic container of allibrite and then sit this container in water (in the ultra sonic cleaner and the gold cleans up well quite quickly.

Cheers

Les

cheers guys might have to get one myself and try it got to be safe than the acid .PP

I use an ultrasonic with Activax Cleaner. Works a treat but if you use it, be very, very careful as it is poisonous and caustic. Jewellers use it to clean jewellery. It brings silver coins up a treat. Like I said, be very careful with it and rinse out the ultrasonic after use. It costs about $20 for a 500 gram container. Use just a couple of grams (Just the tip of a teaspoon). It will last a loooonnng time if you keep the container well sealed.

I take some with me in a sealed container when I go detecting. I throw in any coins I find, add water and let the vibration, during the drive home, start the cleaning process

Pirate pete said:
cheers guys might have to get one myself and try it got to be safe than the acid .PP
They work well for small amounts of dirt. Best results you'll still need to scrub with a toothbrush or similar to loosen up caked on stuff & get into the nooks.
Unfortunately if you like to remove ironstone staining etc. then an ultrasonic cleaner won't move you away from using an acid or corrosive cleaner (like Activax).

great for starting the gold cleaning process and good for finishing it after an HCL bath if ironstone present. as lesgold said, used with alibrite works great - i put my gold in a shot glass with calibrate and make sure the water is at or near the exact same level around that shot glass...just something that was told to me years ago:) To get a real jewellers 'sheen' on your gold at the end of above process a bit of tumbling with stainless steel shot will surprise you.

Sounds like my very old Also unit will work OK but is there any concern on using with relics and them falling apart? Anyone with experience?

WatsonWatt said:
Sounds like my very old Also unit will work OK but is there any concern on using with relics and them falling apart? Anyone with experience?

They are gentle on the relics, the loose dirt comes off a treat,

I usually put them in for a number of cycles to get the harder stuff out of cracks and crevices.