Legalities of Metal Detecting in NSW Parks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will find that there is no fossicking in National Parks my friend. Except for Torrington in the north... Tenterfield Office for enquiries..and the Abercrombie Karst Recreation area(Groves Ck section only..Maybe Bathurst office for enquiries and There is one more section south east of Tuena I think I have had a blank moment and can't remember what it's called :rolleyes: ..Ishould know ...as I wrote a submission to the enquiry over it.Sorry...
You can however fossick in many of Our Forestry NSW areas...which requires a 'Permit to Fossick'. $27.50 per year... Go to the Forestry NSW website to purchase and download a hard-copy. Your research skills will determine which of them is the best place for you to start and the answer to that is simple...you go where gold is known to occur...so perhaps you could start by sussing-out those areas not too distant from where you live. that way you can practice using your gear..pans and sliuce,etc or your Metal Detector...whatever..at this stage you cannot use a high banker equipped with a motorised process system.
Good Luck ter ya...till I see yer 'at the diggins' :cool: Rossco.

reefer said:
You will find that there is no fossicking in National Parks my friend. Except for Torrington in the north... Tenterfield Office for enquiries..and the Abercrombie Karst Recreation area(Groves Ck section only..Maybe Bathurst office for enquiries and There is one more section south east of Tuena I think I have had a blank moment and can't remember what it's called :rolleyes: ..Ishould know ...as I wrote a submission to the enquiry over it.Sorry...
You can however fossick in many of Our Forestry NSW areas...which requires a 'Permit to Fossick'. $27.50 per year... Go to the Forestry NSW website to purchase and download a hard-copy. Your research skills will determine which of them is the best place for you to start and the answer to that is simple...you go where gold is known to occur...so perhaps you could start by sussing-out those areas not too distant from where you live. that way you can practice using your gear..pans and sliuce,etc or your Metal Detector...whatever..at this stage you cannot use a high banker equipped with a motorised process system.
Good Luck ter ya...till I see yer 'at the diggins' :cool: Rossco.
:D Hi Rossco :Y:
Have not seen You about for a while :(
Hope all is well :power:

If you're talking about a council owned park in town, go for it. If there's a problem a council worker will let you know..... if they care :playful:

Dam it...G'day :cool: I've been here...albeit, somewhat 'in-cognito' :lol: I am well, looking forward to the coming season of cooler weather and an unbelievable opportunity in the very near future.! ;)The lawns and gardens after recent rains, are keeping me busy and I'm an old codger...so most nights.I'm in the cot dream'in about that! :p :lol: :lol: :D After much ado about ..nothing really...here on this forum ...in the recent past . I found myself very much disillusioned and contemplating what my main priorities are at this point in time in terms of my continued contributions.At this stage I am not giving it much thought at all :D hence, I suppose, my humble absence! O:) and leather work is slowly but surely taking hold of me and forcing me to contemplate the next project :lol: :lol: and put into practice the lessons I've learned from the mistakes I made...and boy!...I made plenty! :p :lol: :lol: ...So all's well with Rossco...'see yer at the diggins'

Try to use hand tools vs taking a shovel into local parks, usually the first thing that locals will report in if seen in use. Also be aware of buried reticulation in the more well kept parks, a shovel hole in the wrong spot could cause a world of hurt. Responses from councils will vary on use of detectors in a park situation, as many do not have specific by-laws for detecting, though do have by-laws on causing deliberate damage to their grounds (hence why neat recovery of a target is an essential skill).

Some parks may have zones of historic importance and have heritage status, so something worth investigating further. There are some parks around here that have heritage status slapped on them, are well manicured or have historic structures in them, so I tend to avoid those. The less used or scrappier parks are the ones I usually head for, though being in a country area it is probably less of an issue vs detecting in a well known city park. Simple fact is that if you are asked to leave by council personnel, better off to just move on.

Detecting does not harm any park Structure or grounds or grass... No studies done that I am aware of; to indicate if the frequencies have any impact on growth or health of grasses...

Detecting is harmless.

HOWEVER;

Disturbing of grasses and or soil or removal of soils is covered by bylaws and regulations for every council or public park across Australia.

Thus if asking a council or ranger YOU need to be correct in you use of words in describing the activity you wish to perform.

Most know that Practising with a Golf iron in a park is a NO NO... But it is not about the ball, as if you damage a car or house window - you are liable. The activity often leads to DIVIOTS and many do not replace or the divot dies and leaves a mess. The disturbing / damage to grasses is the real issue for teh Council.

Ask a Council ranger / or admin if you can use a detector and many will say they can not find and mention of a metal detector in the rules.

Tell them you have a digging implement and wish to dig plugs and holes in the grass for coins and bottle tops and scrap ; and see how many rules they can toss at you..

Main reason, if some one hurts themselves; they have to option to sue the council and can site that the grounds have not been managed/ maintained. We had a Solicitor and a Council person do a short talk on Public Parks and Theft by finding.... Lots of people kept looking at the floor....

Latest posts