Legalities of Metal Detecting in NSW Parks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's the drum on prospecting /Coin/Treasure hunting in local parks in NSW. Can you just rock up at any time and start swinging or do you have to be clandestine in your method and time or do you have to go thru the hoops of permit application in triplicate and all the hocus pocus with local councils or...????????
I get the impression from some of what I read that those game or having knowledge of their local just roll up and go for it......any pointed comments from those in the know????? ;) :eek: :cool:

In NSW there's no state wide ruling on detecting in public parks (yet), but you'll need to check with local council on any restrictions they might have in place.

As a general rule I just don't go anywhere near manicured lawns, and If I'm looking at detecting a "patchy" or less maintained park I usually just rock up either late afternoon or very early morning to avoid the crowds.

If you follow some simple rules, ie dig discreet plugs, fill in your holes properly and don't annoy the locals, the worse thing that could happen is you get asked to leave.

I was told by a staff member at my council not to ask permission as it was easier for them to say no than find out if it was ok. Just be neat and tidy, leave of asked, don't disturb anyone else's activity and wear hi vis work clothing. I've been asked what I was doing as I was assumed to be council staff due to what I was wearing!

All good words of advise. I also don't go onto any playing fields and only do the margins! That's where the people have been so thats where they'll drop things. My rule of thumb is if I look back and can't see where I've dug, thats a good plug.

I live in Victoria and have detected one of my local Showgrounds quite a bit. I have been seen there by council workers and the grounds keeper and no one has said anything but "have ya found anything?" I Sometimes detect the playing field as there is rides on there every year for the show. The way I look at it is that if I am removing the sharp jaggered cans from there then I am saving some one from a pretty bad injury ! Always fill in ya hole and leave it how ya found it ! ( Except where I have done a bit of weeding around buildings but I'm sure they appreciate that) :)

Scoopa said:
All good words of advise. I also don't go onto any playing fields and only do the margins! That's where the people have been so thats where they'll drop things. My rule of thumb is if I look back and can't see where I've dug, thats a good plug.

Might want to rethink that... Have a look around where the square leg fielder would stand, where the bowlers start their run up etc. I reckon fielders must have dropped a nice shiny silver coin to mark their location for change of overs.

If you dig a good neat plug the field or verges are equally fair game :D

Good on ya fellas....thanks for all the sensible comments. Pretty much common sense as I expected. Just gets a little niggling sometimes if you try to dot all your eyes and cross all your t's. I'll file all your good advice in my 'know how ' basket and see what pops up. Cheers everyone, and happy ground hogging....Ole Kev

Hi Guys.

New to metal detecting & just wondered what the legalities are of metal detecting in public parks & digging plugs (That I will fill back in ofcourse)
I am a little apprehensive as to if a ranger came. It would be nice to have a piece of legislation on me illustrating permission.

Any one out there able to help?

Cheers

Bevsta

Check out this link too mate. You have to be very careful digging in sensitive areas, this should help give you an idea regarding techniques.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11178

Simple fact is that some council workers, rangers and groundsmen will be ok if you are very careful and some will not be. Generally you'll get a warning asking you to move on, I have heard of this happening.

I cut 2 sides of a triangle and leave the third side attached, this ensures the grass does not die, then once the target is removed I put the dirt back in, fold the grass back down and you would hardly even know that the ground had been disturbed. A quality pinpointer is essential.

The groundsmen where I detect are ok with me as I do not make a mess of the grass. Though in essence it is illegal to dig into sportsfields and parks and they can fine you if they deem you to be causing damage.

Detecting for surface targets is no problem at all.

To add what the others have said. Some local councils have banned detecting. I believe it is just their easiest option if asked to say no. Keeps them in the clear for liability.
I have never had a negative experience with ground staff in any park I have detected. It's more the desk jockeys you would have issues with.
I never go onto playing fields but stay around the edges. Maybe stay well clear of nice areas until you have a bit more skill and confidence at good retrieval methods.

Good luck

Hi Bevsta,
Welcome to PA, I think you will find the gang here very helpful in all aspects of metal detecting and thanks for the phone enquiry earlier today.
Cheers, SinHof.

I'm not trying to be a kill joy but I am a groundsman/ maintenance man at a largish area school, I would be ok with it if there was no discernable damage or any die back afterwards. I especialy would not be happy if the oval was due to be used for an upcoming future event. We spend a lot of time and money trying to keep ovals looking good with huge water, fertilizer and mowing costs also there are ovals that have subsoil irrigation lines about 100 mm under the soil level usualy spaced at 300mm, so puncturing those would not be good. Just be ver careful that's all.

Wishfull said:
I'm not trying to be a kill joy but I am a groundsman/ maintenance man at a largish area school, I would be ok with it if there was no discernable damage or any die back afterwards. I especialy would not be happy if the oval was due to be used for an upcoming future event. We spend a lot of time and money trying to keep ovals looking good with huge water, fertilizer and mowing costs also there are ovals that have subsoil irrigation lines about 100 mm under the soil level usualy spaced at 300mm, so puncturing those would not be good. Just be ver careful that's all.

Yep, there's definitely a right and a wrong way to do things, and it only takes one to ruin it for everyone else.

Wishfull said:

Good post and thanks for contributing to the conversation. Good to have it direct from someone who actually looks after a school/sporstfield.

I've been detecting the same sportsfields for over 6 months now and I find it very difficult to find where I have previously been and removed targets, even deep ones. I detect generally several days a week at the same place and always continue on from where I left off.

If I miss a couple of days and we get rain it's virtually impossible to tell where I've been and this is how it should be, leave no traces.

If the ground is dry it can pay to leave any deeper targets (until after rain) than say 5-10 cm as you will damage the grass and it will die back.

I forgot to mention that some ovals and parks have pop up sprinklers that have springs inside of them to doh make them pop up under pressure from the mains water which is controlled via a set of solenoids which in turn are controlled by a computerized system. The springs inside of the sprinklers would set a detector off. So if your setector sounds off be careful not to hit a sprinkler unit because it would send out uncontroled amounts of water and would require immediate replacement = $$$.

I've seen the automated sprinklers but very rarely find them detecting interestingly enough. Though definitely something to be very careful and aware of.

Wishfull said:
I forgot to mention that some ovals and parks have pop up sprinklers that have springs inside of them to doh make them pop up under pressure from the mains water which is controlled via a set of solenoids which in turn are controlled by a computerized system. The springs inside of the sprinklers would set a detector off. So if your setector sounds off be careful not to hit a sprinkler unit because it would send out uncontroled amounts of water and would require immediate replacement = $$$.

As I said in my earlier post I never go o to playing fields. I did have one grounds man tell me to be careful of underground watering systems and power. A lovely surprise when the auto sprinklers come on while you are digging. 8)

I have tried looking up on the government website and was unable to find a proper answer which was convoluted. I've also tried looking up my council which is the Inner West without them mentioning anything about fossicking. Can anyone help me out? Bonus: What other councils allow metal detecting in parks in NSW.

Latest posts