Excited for first outing tomorrow in Vic gold country!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderEmployedGeo

Gold Gold Gold
Reaction score
So I've managed to swing the day off so I'll be swinging my detector for the first time - going to head for the Blackwood area or maybe Daylesford (Vic)!

I've copied this from another post in case anyone missed it:

I am a geologist and used to work in gold exploration in WA. I now live near the golden triangle in Vic. I am new to prospecting. Someone said they'd be interested in doing some goldfields with a geo. Not sure I would have much insight but I do know about gold and how it gets to where it is (not a massive PhD expert but yeah...)

So I'm planning on going detecting, panning perhaps too, and would love someone to help me out with some spots or suggestions to get started. In return, I might be able to help expand the understanding of the field which might help in finding new spots. No guarantees (this is gold, after all).

In case you're sceptical - in the WA goldfields, some massive finds have come from the combination of prospector knowledge (which can be hugely important) and geological technical stuff. Also a lot of luck has helped haha

PS happy to take private messages by the way

Hi, as Dignit wrote for you also.

If you decide on Blacwood, stay on the road to Trentham. Google map Yankee road, turning right you will soon find evidence of early diggings roadside

Stop there as it is a first practice area if you want and easy 2wd to venture farther along.

Intro Blackwood maps with Barnham introduce more area.

Walk it before you drive minor tracks in 2wd.
Cheers Wilko.

Thanks for all your advice - I have a 4WD now so a bit more mobile! Actually just excited to go bush with the new wheels! But also look for gold....

Hi mate, just wondering how the trip out Blackwood way went for you.
I only have a sedan so interested if you took the advice and checked out Yankee Road as was mentioned.
Im a bit restricted in where I can get so always looking for somewhere accessible in a sedan.
Cheers!

Yankee rd

Have a map walk about road from there.
Have a go on the workings from my last.
Big quartz on right long way in. Drops to steep gully

Good 1st start if that helps. Watch what you are doing

wilko

Yeah Yankee Rd is 2WD accessible, it's just the tracks off it that need 4wd really, esp after rain (there are portions that would be ok with 2wd as long as you have clearance, but I'd probably not take the chance.)

Thanks for the info guys. Hate being limited by only having a Hybrid Camry but what do you?!?! It's a company car so a bit of bush bashing doesn't cause me any pain. Not like it's mine! :lol:
Yankee Rd is only about an hour from me so convenient to go and visit.

Cheers again for the info.

Hi Geo, good luck on your first swing. I live close to the GT as well and have only been detecting for a year with minor success. Love to pick your brain and have a prospect and detect some time if you're keen. I've been to many places mostly with no luck and feel I must be in the wrong place at times, due to inexperience reading the area I think. I only have a sedan too as I didn't know I was going to take up gold detecting when I bought the car new 2 yrs ago, so access is always one of my main considerations also. Cheers

So I've managed to swing the day off so I'll be swinging my detector for the first time - going to head for the Blackwood area or maybe Daylesford (Vic)!

I've copied this from another post in case anyone missed it:

I am a geologist and used to work in gold exploration in WA. I now live near the golden triangle in Vic. I am new to prospecting. Someone said they'd be interested in doing some goldfields with a geo. Not sure I would have much insight but I do know about gold and how it gets to where it is (not a massive PhD expert but yeah...)

So I'm planning on going detecting, panning perhaps too, and would love someone to help me out with some spots or suggestions to get started. In return, I might be able to help expand the understanding of the field which might help in finding new spots. No guarantees (this is gold, after all).

In case you're sceptical - in the WA goldfields, some massive finds have come from the combination of prospector knowledge (which can be hugely important) and geological technical stuff. Also a lot of luck has helped haha

PS happy to take private messages by the way
New to prospecting. Based in St Arnaud. Love the bush, anywhere, anytime. Would be interested to hear if you have had any luck.
Kelli