Deteknix / Quest Wirefree - wireless headphones and tx/rx set ups

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only downside I find is they let in a bit of noise especially if you run the coil on the ground like I do. Where my old headphones that went over my ears didnt let any outside noise in.

just starting said:
limpalot said:
Mickybees said:
limpalot said:
I have the Quest wireless headphones and the Spo1, Brilliant; I have the battery on the side of the 4500 and no leads to tangle in. :Y:
Hi Im just wondering if it more comfortable with the battery strapped to the side of the machine Im thinking of making something up to do the same the idea of being cable free is great just wondering if u notice the extra weight thought Id check your thoughts on it Cheers and sorry for getting off topic

I use the Pro 45 harness, and a bungee cord, I have put some Carbon Fibre plate up the back of the harness to help reduce the shoulder pressure. Works a lot better than the standard harness.

I never used the standard Minelab harness until a few months` ago , thinking it was easier to use the heavy duty outdoor jacket with all the pockets and D ring to swing the bungee cord from , but then i decided it was all too cumbersome and realise now the harness is a good thing. Haven`t had much chance to use it , but the Pro 45 looks like something i might look into if the standard one starts to give me grief.

Now i`m gonna take back what i said on the harness. It is good except that the D ring to hang the bungee cord off is too low down on the harness and puts more stress on the neck. I have been playing with the length of the bungee cord and the types of quick release hooks to get the right length while using the harness and now that is sorted out , the weight of the detector being so low down on the harness actually pulls the back of it up to my neck and digs into it. The weight distribution is just wrong .So, i am going back to the jacket where the D hook is high up on the right chest where i feel no strain at all. I`ll have a go at re-positioning the D hook on the harness somehow and see if i can get it to do the same. All trial and error. I acknowledge that hanging the battery and SP01 off the side of the detector is not what this harness was made for , so in normal circumstances it probably does it`s job properly.

Ended up picking up pros again, the lites reminded me how good wireless is. Be interesting to compare them side by side, still think the sound with the lites is a bit low but perhaps its because they dont cover completely allowing ambient background noise in.

Went back to my regular wired set after a couple hours with the lites this morning , was nice not hearing the damn cockatoos but a pita pushing in the scrub. Hopefully the pros arent far away.

If you are used to having headphones completely block out outside noise then the lites may not be suited to the way you listen to headphones and the pros may be a better option for you. Lets us know how the pros and lites compare when you get them and have a chance to test them up against each other.

just starting said:
just starting said:
limpalot said:
Mickybees said:
limpalot said:
I have the Quest wireless headphones and the Spo1, Brilliant; I have the battery on the side of the 4500 and no leads to tangle in. :Y:
Hi Im just wondering if it more comfortable with the battery strapped to the side of the machine Im thinking of making something up to do the same the idea of being cable free is great just wondering if u notice the extra weight thought Id check your thoughts on it Cheers and sorry for getting off topic

I use the Pro 45 harness, and a bungee cord, I have put some Carbon Fibre plate up the back of the harness to help reduce the shoulder pressure. Works a lot better than the standard harness.

I never used the standard Minelab harness until a few months` ago , thinking it was easier to use the heavy duty outdoor jacket with all the pockets and D ring to swing the bungee cord from , but then i decided it was all too cumbersome and realise now the harness is a good thing. Haven`t had much chance to use it , but the Pro 45 looks like something i might look into if the standard one starts to give me grief.

Now i`m gonna take back what i said on the harness. It is good except that the D ring to hang the bungee cord off is too low down on the harness and puts more stress on the neck. I have been playing with the length of the bungee cord and the types of quick release hooks to get the right length while using the harness and now that is sorted out , the weight of the detector being so low down on the harness actually pulls the back of it up to my neck and digs into it. The weight distribution is just wrong .So, i am going back to the jacket where the D hook is high up on the right chest where i feel no strain at all. I`ll have a go at re-positioning the D hook on the harness somehow and see if i can get it to do the same. All trial and error. I acknowledge that hanging the battery and SP01 off the side of the detector is not what this harness was made for , so in normal circumstances it probably does it`s job properly.
Thanks much appreciate Im going to have a play around to see how it goes cheers

Ok so pros arrived yesterday, put them on charge to test today.

Started with the lites, was pretty windy and cold, which is the opposite of the conditions they would be best suited to. Turned volume up to max on the sdc, set sensitivity on machine at 4, with the send unit connected to Phasetech lead.

The lites are a bit tricky to seat on the crown of the head properly as the band is quite thin and the speakers have a swivel for rotation. Turned headphones and send module on for pairing. Put volume on heaphones at max.

Once I found a comfortable position, switched machine on and listened to start up. The lites project a very clear sound through the headphones, however even at max they are a touch lower than stock koss or aftermarket plug ins which is noticable.

Located a dozen targets on ground that switches between quartzy wash in white pipeclay (quiet) to hotrock red ironstone infested gravels (noisy). The delay on the unit is minimal, and after around 10 mins as my ears adjusted to the sound level I found all target responses were clear over the background noise of the wind in the bush and traffic noise in the area. In this test I would consider them quite up to the task of the stock headphones.

I then switched over to the Pros. The ability to adjust to the correct sizing is well designed on these. The cups are a very snug fit without being too tight and would be comfortable in terms of fit to use all day. Background noise is cut out quite a deal more than the lites and the volume at max is noticeably higher.

At one point I walked a distance back to the car to grab a rake with them on and was quite a distance before the transmission was interrupted and finally broken. As I returned the pairing synced up again perfectly. Definitely handy to run startup or tuning while getting the rest of the gear from the car being untethered for future adventures.

Again sound quality was excellent, and although I havent tried all available pairs of headphones released, they are on par with with wired high end headphones. The max volume is not quite as high as Id like but Im sure would be fine for those with very good to excellent hearing unlike me.

Both units performed extremely well run through the SP01 and would highly recommend the combination to tune signal/headphone response to individual need.

I can definitely see both pairs being useful, with the lites being saved up for the hotter days when the pros become a little more uncomfortable in the heat.

Both sets offer good value for going wireless, and a truly wireless experience makes detecting even more enjoyable.

Cheers.

Not gonna do it mate. This is a Wireless Tx - Rx kit from audio source to headphones, i.e the SCD2300.

If you use it on the GPX, the Tx plugs to the battery, the Rx to the phones. You still have the battery cable. :)

The only way to get wireless on a GPX is to place the battery on the control box, then wireless the audio to you from it.

condor22 said:
The only way to get wireless on a GPX is to place the battery on the control box, then wireless the audio to you from it.

Or purchase a GPX6000

condor22 said:
Not gonna do it mate. This is a Wireless Tx - Rx kit from audio source to headphones, i.e the SCD2300.

If you use it on the GPX, the Tx plugs to the battery, the Rx to the phones. You still have the battery cable. :)

Thats what I was going to do mate

Yes, used the Quest wire free mate on the QED until it was recently sold. Very good piece of kit and quite cheap compared to the Garret version.

It holds a battery charge all day long and is quick to recharge. Has good volume control. Plug whatever headphones or earbuds into them that you like.

The only downside is that you can't use the transmitter to transmit directly to any set of wireless headphones - it has to go to the receiver first and the headphones plugged into the receiver. But it still gets you wireless from the detector.

Or there is the version that has a transmitter to a proprietary set of headphones. http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/quest-wirefree-pro-headphones/

Or the Lite version http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/quest-wirefree-lite-headphones/

Nenad sells them. :Y:

Hi Everyone

Just wondering who else has used these headphones and what there experience was like with them?, I unfortunately have only used mine 3 time twice before COVID-19 and now once after we were aloud to move around and go for a swing, mine continuously cuts in and out as if someone is flicking the switch on and off so bad that on my latest outing I had to revert back to my standard wired headphones.
So just wondering if this is a common problem with them or Im just very unlucky to get a dud unit?.

Cheers

Can't speak for the Quest, but I use a Deteknix wireless phones on my 2300 from Nenad. 3 yrs old, still going strong. I've walked off from the car and noticed I forgot my pick, put the detector down and went back for the pick (I only noticed as I had a target). Around 40 M and could still here the unbroken threshold.

One thing I have noticed tho' the receiver side of the phones is better on the same side as the transmitter. I have noticed it drop out briefly the other way round. Must be my thick head lol. Fortunately the Deteknix phones are symetrical left to right.

I have had similar issues with the Quest. I try to make sure it is charged fully, even when the light said it was by unplugging and plugging in the charger a cuppla times. I find it works real well for a cuppla hours then starts to flick off /on. Make sure you have a 2 .1 Amp USB outlet to charge with. I have been going to talk to Nenad about it ,but not as yet. 12v charging seems to be the worst. I think it is the sender.

limpalot said:
I have had similar issues with the Quest. I try to make sure it is charged fully, even when the light said it was by unplugging and plugging in the charger a cuppla times. I find it works real well for a cuppla hours then starts to flick off /on. Make sure you have a 2 .1 Amp USB outlet to charge with. I have been going to talk to Nenad about it ,but not as yet. 12v charging seems to be the worst. I think it is the sender.
If it is the model with the same usb connection for charging and connecting to the detector then there is fair chance that is the issue. The hard wired sender I had did not have that problem but new one does.

Rockwall said:
limpalot said:
If it is the model with the same usb connection for charging and connecting to the detector then there is fair chance that is the issue. The hard wired sender I had did not have that problem but new one does.
I'm having similar intermittent issues with my ProSonic tx unit & suspect the USB socket for charging/connection is the cause. Had similar issues previously & replaced the cable which fixed it then but not this time. Can replicate the problem by wriggling the cable near the USB connection but not by doing anything else so it's definitely that area.
It's a few years old but I'm not rough on it. It's in a position that shouldn't cause any stress to it with enough cable so it's not pulling etc. Assume something has come adrift internally or the USB type socket is just a poor connection for there & doesn't like even small amounts of movement. For the price of the ProSonic you'd expect them to be pretty bulletproof - lucky for me it was a freebie in a package deal.

Hey DD yep Ive been using those for about a year now- love em, really convenient. But I will say Ive had problems with the lead from the detector to the transmitter- only lasts about a month before its frayed and cutting in and out. So I by a bunch at a time, $6 each.
Still Id recommend them to anyone.

Latest posts