what is this stone?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey all i went for a fossicking last weekend and upon looking through my stones i noticed this stone was still in the pocket of the pants i was wearing when i first saw it i dis regarded it but after looking at it a second time tonight i am becoming more and more intrigued not sure if its just my untrained eye was wondering if anyone can help me out with knowing what the stone may be ps sorry about the grubby hands just got home from work :D
1393320607_sapphire.jpg

Hi calebc,
from this side of view, I believe what you got there is a Sapphire :D
keep picking them and putting them in your pocket, soon you will have a whole lot of collections.
Don't worry about the grubby hands most serious fossickers have them :lol: :p

Cheers,
''B''

Grab a torch, put the stone on the lens, light it up and be prepared to be blown away.

Nice sapphire you have there, party coloured perhaps ??

I'll weigh it tommrow at work and have a look at it under the loupe and get back to everyone thanks for your help can't speak highly enough of the forum

Well done on the sapphire Calebc :)

Tend to find ones I pop in a pocket later in the bottom of the washing machine and with luck before my wife spots them. ;)

Well there you go, I wouldn't know a sapphire if i fell over it. Nice find calebc, thanks for the pic. You learn a new thing every day. :)

Hope you havn't been throwing away too much of that Blue Quartz over the years Nightjar. Once you have seen enough rough Sapphires they are pretty easy to pick. They have a certain shape, sheen and lustre to them that's almost unmistakable.

They are every bit as addictive as Gold too. :)

calebc said:
weighed in at 8.9 cts joe your guess was a little too accurate for my liking ;)
:) it was only a guess calebc , mind you I weight few 000's stones in the last couple of years