• Register to access all forum features  

goldierocks
08 November 2020 10:03 am

sand surfer wrote:
Brumble-Gum wrote:

I just read this.
Platypus fur fluoresces too!

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-austra … nt-fur/amp

Well bugger me Brumble-Gum ,if i am on the locos next year and go to a certain area, i might take the UV torch and have a look ,there is a creek we cross that has platypus in it, on full moon nights if i am out that way i park on the bridge and have crib and watch them play perfect

Sounds like a hard life.....only worry if you start baying.

Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

1 user likes this post: sand surfer

Manpa
07 December 2020 07:38 pm

I know this technically shouldn’t be in this section but they do fluoresce under uv.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-07/ … t/12957148

One of these days Ma!

4 users like this post: Rockhunter62, sand surfer, LoneWolf, BigWave

Dr Lex Winter
Banned
Banned
13 January 2021 09:46 pm

2lateagain wrote:

LW, most of the radioactive glass that we own came from my mother and they were always on display in my parents house for as long as I can remember, we were not aware of what it was until we got one of the UV lights about 8 years ago, my wife liked them when she saw them a long time ago and they became hers when my parents passed.

I have always wondered why I glowed in the dark, always thought it was the clean living and being a really nice person was the reason, but looks like I was badly mistaken as I have been told by a lot of people. lol lol lol

Graham

Just don't eat it or grind it up and inhale the powder and you should be right.

Although I know it's tempting. Radioactive things taste amazing. sad

Sstein
20 January 2021 08:39 pm

BigWave wrote:

I thought I'd start this to show interesting stuff fluorescing under UV lamps.
Not just minerals, but our currency has some great anti-counterfeit effects using UV lights:
Can you see the bird on our $5 notes (and check out my ciggy lighter handle):
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 5_note.jpg
Can you see the manufacture date and serial number:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … note_1.jpg
Can you see scorpions in the bush at night? They glow like light houses at 10m using a Convoy S2+ UVA torch. They're everywhere in the Vic GT. In your tent?
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … rpions.jpg
Then check out ladies' UV nail polish, real rubies (glow a brilliant red - not fakes), diamonds (50% glow blue), lichens in rain forests - all sorts of colours.
Hundreds of other things glow when exposed to UV light that you can't see when only illuminated with visible light.
Tonic water glows faint blue, dog/cat piss (well - maybe you don't want to know - don't check your carpets or sofas where they sit).
Also, don't use a UV torch in your hotel room at night - particularly the dunny - well - you really really don't want to know.
No wonder these lights are used by forensics staff.

You have gotten me curious now. These torches, where can they be purchased?

BigWave
21 January 2021 01:32 am

Check the net for Convoy S2+ with the 365nm Nichia LED.

GPX-4500 & Direction Finding Daughter

Dihusky
21 January 2021 02:38 pm

BigWave wrote:

thumbsup Top little torches.

goldierocks
21 January 2021 05:08 pm

BigWave wrote:

My reservation about any of these is that some fluorescent minerals won't fluoresce at their 365 nm wavelength. For example, 60% of opals fluoresce and UV can be used noodling, but that would not be likely to work with these (need short wave UV - must use goggles). Also I suspect that their intensity is poor (so I would go for the 6W version not the 4W, although still weak). I suspect filters may not be desirable because it would possibly reduce the UV further despite getting rid of much visible light. But good fun when starting out, and a relatively safe wavelength.
http://www.galleries.com/minerals/prope … l.htm#long

Unfortunately short wavelength lamps are much more expensive (e.g. this one is both). Unfortunately it is only 4W so needs to be used under very dark conditions.

https://prospectors.com.au/collections/ … t-included

By the time you get to 8W and 25W they are many hundreds of dollars and mainly mains voltage (good for display cabinets not the field).

I did find this battery-operated model with both long and short wavelength uv bulbs - but still only 4W. I am surprised at their lousy photos though, so would ask around first.

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/253204188059? … d3d0daac31

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS … 9000&ver=0

There are also cheap short-wave only battery 4W. I am just concerned that their poor photos might indicate that they give out a fair bit of light in the visible spectrum

Remember, uv goggles ALWAYS with short wave UV (they are very cheap)

Any comments?

Last edited by goldierocks (21 January 2021 05:30 pm)

Robert Benchley...

goldierocks
21 January 2021 05:55 pm

Rated wattage is not everything - see this comparison:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/ … entry10923

The convoy S2+ performed better than the best of these (191.7 mW/sq cm) - it is generally sold with a filter which given its good output is probably worth having. So yes, probably a great beginner lamp...will keep most people happy unless they get really serious and go for short wave as well

Robert Benchley...

Dihusky
22 January 2021 03:21 pm

It's all horses for courses, getting scientific is one thing, but a short wave torch is very handy when checking gem rough, night fossicking in old Tin mining dumps for Topaz, palming and running over a tray of Garnet rough to see if a Ruby has been missed or discovering the Rubies aren't. The list goes on...

For collectors and photographers of Fluorescent minerals higher grade lighting will be the go-to but difficult to carry in the field. Our little Convoys have found us some great material and it's a lot of fun discovering other things that fluoresce that you don't expect.

2 users like this post: BigWave, LoneWolf

goldierocks
22 January 2021 03:40 pm

Dihusky wrote:

It's all horses for courses, getting scientific is one thing, but a short wave torch is very handy when checking gem rough, night fossicking in old Tin mining dumps for Topaz, palming and running over a tray of Garnet rough to see if a Ruby has been missed or discovering the Rubies aren't. The list goes on...

For collectors and photographers of Fluorescent minerals higher grade lighting will be the go-to but difficult to carry in the field. Our little Convoys have found us some great material and it's a lot of fun discovering other things that fluoresce that you don't expect.

I agree, although any torch with greater output and less visible light will give you clearer, brighter colours (and the Convoy S2+ is all of that according to reviews). The reason I mentioned short wave is not only the additional minerals that fluoresce, but its greater potential for noodling opal dumps.

Robert Benchley...

UnderEmployedGeo
22 January 2021 11:07 pm

Just bought a UV torch and have been making "interesting" discoveries ever since! ops

"Foul cankering rust the hidden treasure frets, but gold that's put to use more gold begets." - Twelfth Night, William Shakespeare.
QED PL3, Sadie 8x6, 11" Detech Mono, 20" Nugget Finder Mono. Equinox 600 for fun (and for sale).

1 user likes this post: LoneWolf

BigWave
28 January 2021 08:32 pm

Today I picked up some Willemite with Calcite from Crystal World in Devon Meadows Victoria. Mined in NJ, USA. Also a piece of Fluorite.
I took my UVC light to select the best, but there were so many great pieces.
they don't really show up until you get them out of the daylight.
Normal light:
1611826072_img_4252.jpg
Sorry about the focus in low light, but it looks very boring rock.
Then under UVC:
1611826197_img_e4250.jpg
The green is the Willemite, with the red being Calcite. The black is Franklinite (not sure of the white).
Under UVA they also look good, but UVC is better.
Even the experienced staff there had never seen these under UV and were amazed.
Out of around 50 shoppers there, I was the only guy - weird?
I'd better get some more before they jack their prices through the roof, as good pieces from Mt Sterling NJ, USA are expensive to buy on the net.

Last edited by BigWave (28 January 2021 08:38 pm)

12 users like this post: RM Outback, Manpa, goody2shoes, StoneTheCrows, aussiefarmer, 7.62marksman, Detectist, silver, Sandta, Wishfull, Prooz, LoneWolf

RM Outback
28 January 2021 08:49 pm

Very interesting BW thumbsup what's the blue stone.

StoneTheCrows
28 January 2021 09:03 pm

BW

What is your goal with these
Do you get them cut and polished or leave as is

If you leave as is do you put them in a cabinet with some form of uv light on them?
Just curious and not even sure if these type of rock get cut

Amazing piccies

Last edited by StoneTheCrows (28 January 2021 09:04 pm)

goody2shoes
28 January 2021 09:25 pm

Beautiful rocks Bigwave clap

BigWave
28 January 2021 09:46 pm

The blue stone is Fluorite.
I'm planning to build a UV (combined UVA and UVC) cabinet to put them in.
I won't cut or polish them. They're best as they are.
I started this around 2 years back, but haven't progressed much due to other commitments.
I have collected lots of rocks that are fluorescent, and some are even phosphorescent under UV. Quite amazing!
Lone Wolf has a beaut display.

4 users like this post: goody2shoes, aussiefarmer, RM Outback, LoneWolf

goldierocks
28 January 2021 10:07 pm

BigWave wrote:

Today I picked up some Willemite with Calcite from Crystal World in Devon Meadows Victoria. Mined in NJ, USA. Also a piece of Fluorite.
I took my UVC light to select the best, but there were so many great pieces.
they don't really show up until you get them out of the daylight.
Normal light:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … g_4252.jpg
Sorry about the focus in low light, but it looks very boring rock.
Then under UVC:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … _e4250.jpg
The green is the Willemite, with the red being Calcite. The black is Franklinite (not sure of the white).
Under UVA they also look good, but UVC is better.
Even the experienced staff there had never seen these under UV and were amazed.
Out of around 50 shoppers there, I was the only guy - weird?
I'd better get some more before they jack their prices through the roof, as good pieces from Mt Sterling NJ, USA are expensive to buy on the net.

Zincite perhaps? More commonly pale yellow

Robert Benchley...

BigWave
28 January 2021 10:27 pm

GR, in SA at Leigh Creek (2 years back) I gained access to the Putapa mine after dark (got permission from the local caretaker Geo to visit for two nights with my UV lamps) and found much Willemite rocks that mostly fluoresced red (largely calcite) and only a bit of green/blue. It was amazing, as only 1 in every 1000 or so rocks fluoresced.
I signed in each day with the geo (before entering) and let him know by SMS when I entered and left for OHAS purposes. He was great.
Willemite is a Zinc ore, but I never saw any whites in the Ozzie ores. This stuff (in the photos) comes from Mt Stirling (or Mt Franklin) NJ, USA. I've no idea what the white is?

4 users like this post: goody2shoes, Detectist, RM Outback, LoneWolf

goldierocks
29 January 2021 07:24 am

BigWave wrote:

GR, in SA at Leigh Creek (2 years back) I gained access to the Putapa mine after dark (got permission from the local caretaker Geo to visit for two nights with my UV lamps) and found much Willemite rocks that mostly fluoresced red (largely calcite) and only a bit of green/blue. It was amazing, as only 1 in every 1000 or so rocks fluoresced.
I signed in each day with the geo (before entering) and let him know by SMS when I entered and left for OHAS purposes. He was great.
Willemite is a Zinc ore, but I never saw any whites in the Ozzie ores. This stuff (in the photos) comes from Mt Stirling (or Mt Franklin) NJ, USA. I've no idea what the white is?

Yes, Puttapa was one of our mines with North Ltd. - I think it then went into Pasminco with the split into two companies (so Rio now?). It only has willemite in common with Stirling, and willemite can be primary or secondary. Puttapa seems to be secondary (willemite formed by weathering, perhaps of sulphides like sphalerite - we had that at Tsumeb in Namibia and Berg Aukas). At Stirling the mineral seem to have formed by high grade metamorphism of a zinc orebody, not by weathering, so things like franklinite and zincite are present.

Robert Benchley...

1 user likes this post: BigWave

goldierocks
29 January 2021 07:30 am

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ … g+Hill.pdf
A complete list of Stirling Hill minerals that fluoresce

Last edited by goldierocks (29 January 2021 07:31 am)

Robert Benchley...

2 users like this post: RM Outback, Detectist

BigWave
29 January 2021 08:27 am

Wow, that's a lot of minerals!

1 user likes this post: LoneWolf

LoneWolf
Banned
Banned
02 February 2021 09:58 pm

Its the best place in the World for Fluro minerals... Nice examples there BW... thumbsup

We would have had a nice supply here in Australia if Someone didn't get ripped by a well known Seller in the USA... mad

LW....

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Union Proud and Union Strong... A.M.W.U Active Member....