Large Coils on Kruzer series

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XLOOX

Moderating Team
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use the largest coil on their Kruzer/Multi Kruzer/Gold Kruzer - ie the 15x14ish DD coils - KR40 or GK40 ?

If so what is their experience - How does it handle mineralisation & does it significantly improve depth or is it just for covering more ground in parks,beaches etc?

I've used a 15x13" coil on both a Fors Gold and and same coil on my Red Racer, but only for beach work both Wet/Dry.
Better depth yes and definitely better coverage than the standard 11" coil. :perfect:

Just for completeness, in the end I bought a GK40.

Havent had a chance to use it too much, but in a goldfield ground balancing at GB75, I got the following depths under slate (mm):

GK24 coil GK40 coil
9.5x5DD 15.5x14DD
1gn test 60 30
0.5gAu coin 130 160
50c coin 190 315
Alu can flat 320 500

Pretty much as expected, just pleasantly surprised it picked up the 1gn test piece at all & that worked fine in the borderline high mineralisation.

It will be interesting to see how it goes when I finally get out to some heavily mineralised areas in winter.

XLOOX, did you test in all-metal?

Like with any big coil on a VLF and particularly a high freq VLF, they shine in the lower mineralisation, but are held back more than the small coils in heavy iron. Be great to cover large areas of fluffy sand on the big tourist beaches that get lots of fresh drops. The big coil is still very sensitive to gold jewellery.

I think there is a big gap between the 10x5 and GK40. Would love an in between size, preferably solid coil, something like the 12x8" Evo.

A Gk40 demo is on my video plan for this year.

Tested in Gen, 85 Gain, 8 Threshold, iSat 2, Tracking On, Vol 5. Those are my GK24 settings & I didnt optmise for the GK40. I will try that another time.

I just piled up dinnerplate sized bits of slate ex a surface working on top of targets until signal disappeared then swapped out top slate thickness until got a decent beep but no ID or just flickering ID.

Yeah, I figured the big coil is not really meant for high mineralisation but if it works good enough & goes a bit deeper than most VLF then maybe I can score in trashy areas that myself or others have previously worked over.

My thinking is pretty much in line with yours as per your post yesterday #9 Mt Crawford about trying different stuff on a proven area. Even if I can only get another couple of inches over most VLFs then that is still a lot of volume of dirt over a basketball court sized patch.

So far looks promising. I will be very keen to see your video.

I first used a 16 inch coil in the GT 37 years ago and the results over the 10 inch coil were dramatic- 2 and 3 oz nuggets were jumping in my lap. Never you mind the mineralisation, if the Kruzer is similar to my Impact that will be the least of your problems but will only be marginally higher but I would only use a 13 inch coil for general detecting mainly as they are lighter and can still locate sub gram nuggets. If in the non self balancing mode it is best to GB every 10 minutes as the ground changes. My worst problems are the false signals which can go 18 inches deep in very mineralised hills which were the source of the nuggets. A razor sharp signal will tell you it is metallic but these occur more at shallow depths and a deep ones will be very faint so you have to sweep very slowly to catch these signals and the standard wired earphones are not good enough, they are rubbish, so I have bought a pair of Audio Technica which should make all the difference. For false signals I would reset the Isat higher to 3 on the Impact (and sensitivity to 70) but beware this will lose depth if too high The green wireless ones are better from accounts of other users but I have a health issue with them. False signals are just as frequent in low mineralisation as with very high mineralisation areas in the northern GT.