Interesting stuff under UV

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blue stone is Fluorite.
I'm planning to build a UV (combined UVA and UVC) cabinet to put them in.
I won't cut or polish them. They're best as they are.
I started this around 2 years back, but haven't progressed much due to other commitments.
I have collected lots of rocks that are fluorescent, and some are even phosphorescent under UV. Quite amazing!
Lone Wolf has a beaut display.

BigWave said:
Today I picked up some Willemite with Calcite from Crystal World in Devon Meadows Victoria. Mined in NJ, USA. Also a piece of Fluorite.
I took my UVC light to select the best, but there were so many great pieces.
they don't really show up until you get them out of the daylight.
Normal light:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6786/1611826072_img_4252.jpg
Sorry about the focus in low light, but it looks very boring rock.
Then under UVC:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6786/1611826197_img_e4250.jpg
The green is the Willemite, with the red being Calcite. The black is Franklinite (not sure of the white).
Under UVA they also look good, but UVC is better.
Even the experienced staff there had never seen these under UV and were amazed.
Out of around 50 shoppers there, I was the only guy - weird?
I'd better get some more before they jack their prices through the roof, as good pieces from Mt Sterling NJ, USA are expensive to buy on the net.
Zincite perhaps? More commonly pale yellow

GR, in SA at Leigh Creek (2 years back) I gained access to the Putapa mine after dark (got permission from the local caretaker Geo to visit for two nights with my UV lamps) and found much Willemite rocks that mostly fluoresced red (largely calcite) and only a bit of green/blue. It was amazing, as only 1 in every 1000 or so rocks fluoresced.
I signed in each day with the geo (before entering) and let him know by SMS when I entered and left for OHAS purposes. He was great.
Willemite is a Zinc ore, but I never saw any whites in the Ozzie ores. This stuff (in the photos) comes from Mt Stirling (or Mt Franklin) NJ, USA. I've no idea what the white is?

BigWave said:
GR, in SA at Leigh Creek (2 years back) I gained access to the Putapa mine after dark (got permission from the local caretaker Geo to visit for two nights with my UV lamps) and found much Willemite rocks that mostly fluoresced red (largely calcite) and only a bit of green/blue. It was amazing, as only 1 in every 1000 or so rocks fluoresced.
I signed in each day with the geo (before entering) and let him know by SMS when I entered and left for OHAS purposes. He was great.
Willemite is a Zinc ore, but I never saw any whites in the Ozzie ores. This stuff (in the photos) comes from Mt Stirling (or Mt Franklin) NJ, USA. I've no idea what the white is?
Yes, Puttapa was one of our mines with North Ltd. - I think it then went into Pasminco with the split into two companies (so Rio now?). It only has willemite in common with Stirling, and willemite can be primary or secondary. Puttapa seems to be secondary (willemite formed by weathering, perhaps of sulphides like sphalerite - we had that at Tsumeb in Namibia and Berg Aukas). At Stirling the mineral seem to have formed by high grade metamorphism of a zinc orebody, not by weathering, so things like franklinite and zincite are present.

Its the best place in the World for Fluro minerals... Nice examples there BW... :Y:

We would have had a nice supply here in Australia if Someone didn't get ripped by a well known Seller in the USA... :mad:

LW....

his topic went quiet. It is an interesting subject.

I had a good collection of uranium glass on display in cabinets all through the house. Had UV lamps in each cab, looked great until it took over the house and I eventually sold it off. Still have a few bits and pieces though. Some stone kitchenware can be radioactive. ie Vistosaware.

Many people think it is the radioactivity/emissions from the uranium that causes the glass to glow under uv light, if that was the case the glass would be glowing all of the time. ..It is not the radiation , it is the chemical composition of the uranium used and to some degree the glass. The brightness of the glow is independent of the level of radioactivity.... The wavelength and power of the irradiating light (UV) determines the brightness and colour which is also dependent on the chem composition.

Some of this glass and uranium ores give off Radon gas which is nasty even in small doses. It can accumulate in your body....I keep a radon detector running in my house and work room coz I have uranium ore samples here that tick over at approx 90+ uSv hr measured from the outside of the container. Kept at a safe distance.

Uranium glass gives off mainly Beta and some alpha particles, any gamma radiation is very low (normally). Beta & alpha particles are stopped by paper, plastic (not all) but will penetrate into your skin and can cause Beta Burns, but the gamma radiation like x rays will go through almost anything, it just continues on its merry way unlike alpha and beta emitter particles which can be trapped in skin and is bad news if you ingest it. You can not ingest gamma rays unless you have swallowed something that is emitting the radiation.

Alpha particles are the most dangerous internal radiation, Beta is the most dangerous external radiation.

Back ground radiation levels in Australia are approx 0.18 uSv per hour which is considered to be harmless. If you are a regular high altitude flyer ..25,000 to 40,000 feet then you will be getting dosed by cosmic and gamma radiation between 10 to 50 times higher than at sea level. Being in an aluminium can with wings will not shield you.

These items are ticking over at approx 13 uSv hr
1615364760_rscn1950.jpg
T

These items are ticking at 4+ uSv hr of combination alpha, bata & gamma radiation which is around average for most of the uranium glass that I have owned in the past. This level is approx half the excepted safe daily dose rate limit.

If you do purchase a geiger counter to check your glassware, make sure it will respond to alpha, beta and gamma radiation. As a general rule gamma only detectors will have the detector tube totally enclosed in a plastic or metal housing whereas beta and alpha detectors will have an partially exposed senser

1615412867_rscn1958.jpg

G'day Adrian, my Mum has a few pieces of uranium glass, just a few glasses I think. Is this stuff safe to have in your home in say a display cabinet in a living room?

Cheers

Yes not a problemo. ...Unless your break it up and eat it or rub it into your skin. :8 Do not use it for faceting or grinding into dust, you do not want to breath in uranium glass dust. How bright the glass glows is no indication of the level of radiation emitted.
As a side note:
Early mantel lamps used mantels that were impregnated with thorium and ceasium ( Think) to enhance the light output. When you change the mantels don't breath in the dust as it disintegrates and scrub your hands afterwards inc under your finger nails.

If you are going to buy a counter then be sure not to purchase a unit described as an Electromagnetic radiation detector. These are not atomic radiation detectors.
This one is inexpensive and would be ok for home use low level nuke radiation detection.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GMV2-Po...rand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

Latest posts