Advice on GPS units

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davent said:
Best way to navigate in the jungle at night, is not to! Dont move at night in proper jungle,, its not worth the effort, waste of time.
I would like a gps that is based on google earth or google maps, I dont know much about hand heads, can you down load google earth to a gps?
I really want a waterproof one as well.

I agree Davent, however, when you have someone with more "cocky crap" on his shoulders saying "You Will....." one loses the freedom of choice, jungle or not, lolol....

To answer your Q re Google earth. Yes and No. :)

No = I don't know of any dedicated handheld GPS that will accept Google Map or Satellite images. i.e. my Garmin E20.

Yes = I have a Galaxy A Tab 8 with Oziexplorer Android along with a number of calibrated Google Satellite images of some areas of the GT. The A10 has a GPS capability so I can wander around and use it as a GPS with the images. I can also copy these images to my Hema HN7 into the off road side of the device as it is built on Ozi and similar to the Android version. From what I've researched, you can't do this on the Hema HX-1. Then use these as an in car navigator.

The caveat in doing this is, you can't use Ozi Android to make these maps, only use them. To make them you need the full PC version of Ozi on laptop or PC and a little knowledge of how to. Once calibrated, I then use the Ozi utility ING2OZF, which converts the map file from .JPG, .PNG or even .TIF to .OZF4 file format (the format used by the HN7). It's also possible to join a number of them into one map file using MAPMERGE. :)

Edit PS The E20 is waterproof to 1 M for 30 minutes, the A8 is not, there is an aftermarket rainproof case available. :)

Howdy! So I'm gonna go deep and wide in Victoria's bush for my hunt but obviously need a guide back to the car! Anyone recommend a decent gadget ? Anyone use the Bushnell Back Track gps device?

On a bit of a budget so I dont really wanna fork out $400 on a complicated Garmin handheld.

:argh:

Thanks !

HippyProspecting said:
What about the garmin etrex 10?
Vote number 2 for the etrex10. Cheap. Works. Easy to use. Sometimes lags a bit when lots of waypoints are stored, but I delete some not needed and all good again.
Can be dropped from about 5 foot onto a mix of quartz, shale and ironstone with no ill effects....trust me...done it...many times :playful:

We've had the Garmin Oregon and the Etrex 20 for years. The Oregon was very expensive at the time at over $1000 with maps about 10 years back. It's an excellent GPS but the lens has worn out making it difficult to read, it's heavy too. The Etrex is also a very good GPS with a long battery life compared to the Oregon but has recently died. I think it'll be replaced with the same or equivalent new model.

We both carry a PLB that never leaves our prospecting harness.

Bushnell Back Track is fine if all you want to do is mark the position of your car (and perhaps another 3 or 4 waypoints). When it's home time, just fire it up and it'll point you at your target (car) and tell you how far away it is and in which direction. Just follow the arrow. As far as navigation goes, it's certainly no substitute for a proper handheld GPS but it serves its particular purpose well.

Etrex 20, easy to use, affordable. Plenty of threads on here for handheld GPS, try Garmin as a search it will bring them and most others.

Noted in another thread, but..... I set 2 waypoints and rename them to CAR & CAMP. Once in memory you can go into each and reset its position to where it and you are.

I set my CAMP as if I'm found and unable to tell rescuers, they can find its location.

The important one is CAR, reposition to where you park each time you stop and leave your car. I generally turn the GPS off after that and only turn on if I get misplaced. Then tell the GPS to GOTO the car and follow the line. I get over a year from battery by doing this.

Garmin etrex 10 will work for you. I also use my phone as a backup. An app like Find My Car will give you a direction and distance to your vehicle. No phone reception is required.

I purchase the Bushnell-back-track-3-point-mini-gps for SWMBO for use on our WA trips its to me a lot easier to use for someone who is not into computers than say a Garmin GPS. BUt it takes more time to pick up the Satellites than a Garmin, which is pain, especially when you just want to start detecting.

ours is similar to:
https://www.xhunter.com.au/products/bushnell-back-track-3-point-mini-gps

another vote for the etrex.

Alternatively you can use app on your smart phone such as AusGeo. IT has a trail and tracking feature which you can back-track on, but has the bonus of the tenements, geo, mines layers etc

Back when I used to use my Garmin Oregan 300 to log and map my finds and mark new locations, I couldn't keep it running while detecting. It and my detector just didn't like each other much. With the Back Track this isn't an issue, as it automatically turns off after a short while. My detectors also hate my phone unless it's in Flight Mode.

GPZ does have a Map function and Most Phones...

I guess it depends on how many backup units you want

Maaxxx said:
Bushnell Back Track is fine if all you want to do is mark the position of your car (and perhaps another 3 or 4 waypoints). When it's home time, just fire it up and it'll point you at your target (car) and tell you how far away it is and in which direction. Just follow the arrow. As far as navigation goes, it's certainly no substitute for a proper handheld GPS but it serves its particular purpose well.

I agree with Maaxxx's comments. The Bushnell Back Track is (comparatively) cheap, tough and easy to carry and perfect for when the car gets out of sight and you just want something to point you in the right direction. It's no more sophisticated than that but it's all I need. I also carry a PLB just in case, as I'm usually out by myself.

If you think getting you close is good enough it might not be. We parked our bus on a slight incline between two gullies. Mrs M went one way and I went the other with an agreed approximate time to return. At that time we met on the slight ridge where we parked but neither of us found the bus. It's 3m high and 6.5m long, painted purple with an off white top. We'd missed it by 50m. While standing there discussing where it should have been we spotted it on the other side of some light scrub but so close that it should have been in clear sight. It's happened since but now we're aware of how hard it is to see that we take more care in marking our position. A lot of this country is featureless with no clear gullies, hills or trees to take a bearing.

Moneybox said:
If you think getting you close is good enough it might not be. We parked our bus on a slight incline between two gullies. Mrs M went one way and I went the other with an agreed approximate time to return. At that time we met on the slight ridge where we parked but neither of us found the bus. It's 3m high and 6.5m long, painted purple with an off white top. We'd missed it by 50m. While standing there discussing where it should have been we spotted it on the other side of some light scrub but so close that it should have been in clear sight. It's happened since but now we're aware of how hard it is to see that we take more care in marking our position. A lot of this country is featureless with no clear gullies, hills or trees to take a bearing.
yep agree!
Years ago I parked the car, got out started detecting....about 2 hours later stopped and thought "wheres the car?"!! Decided not to panic. Stood still and backtracked in my mind...fortunately I often detect in a kinda rectangle so figured the car must be "over that way"...headed in that direction. Found car eventually. Even though I wasnt fully lost (knew where the hwy was about 6 km down), it freaked me out...Went home, bought garmin off ebay that evening :)
130 bucks. Its paid for itself many times over in security and safety.

Maybe putting a sand flag on your vehicle may make it easier to spot. A nice fluro orange flag flapping in the breeze. Not sure of its effectiveness but you never know.

Even dropping breadcrumbs can help. I have a black 4x4 and it can vanish very easily lost in the bush-what about a green one????
If you have a tracker , familiarise yourself with its functions and carry a few spare batteries.

Latest posts