Using a dredge in Australia for recreational prospecting is illegal - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a newby to this game but not to life ( 70 in April) but my thoughts on the definition of dredging, :( for what they are worth? are as follows.

1. if you are sucking sand from the bottom of a designated water course into a sluice which runs back into the watercourse, are you in fact removing material, eg dredging, or just disturbing the material.

If there's one thing in life that turns on any red-blooded bureaucrat, it's the thought of being lectured to by a bush lawyer.

You'll generally find that they have access to bigger and better legal facilities, and deeper pockets, than the average punter, and they just love using them to make sure that everyone knows who's the damn boss around here.

The lawyers love it too......gives them a chance to demonstrate that the words in question mean exactly whatever their bureaucratic client says they do.

Good luck with all the amateur ifs, buts, and maybes......the bloke in the uniform, the lawyers, and the magistrate, are just gunna love it. :)

Hey guys and gals who gave their time to reply to my question on dredging.
It was only a question from some one who is uninformed in mining etc . Some of the replies are very informative and I appreciate you all for it ....but really, I was disappointed to read the majority of them as some were bordering on being rude and offensive. I value anyone's advice and suggestions on any matter and use a lot of forums' for this availability of knowledge, that I can dredge on,( pardon the pun),so I will read what response I get and will decide later if your guys forum is worth being involved with.
Thanks again for your time and if I have offended anyone....Tough phu*kin titties

Elad said:
Hey guys and gals who gave their time to reply to my question on dredging.
It was only a question from some one who is uninformed in mining etc . Some of the replies are very informative and I appreciate you all for it ....but really, I was disappointed to read the majority of them as some were bordering on being rude and offensive. I value anyone's advice and suggestions on any matter and use a lot of forums' for this availability of knowledge, that I can dredge on,( pardon the pun),so I will read what response I get and will decide later if your guys forum is worth being involved with.
Thanks again for your time and if I have offended anyone....Tough phu*kin titties
Thats abit rude :lol: {)

Elad said:
but really, I was disappointed to read the majority of them as some were bordering on being rude and offensive
I really can't see what you find to be rude & offensive?
There were only 3 replies & my own was in no way intended to offend you but just point out that the method you described "sucking sand from the bottom of a designated water course into a sluice which runs back into the watercourse" is indeed dredging & not allowed unless on a lease + approved.

Can't really speak for the others but only assume GaryO is having a shot at our restrictive laws - not you.
And assume Katabatic is pointing out that, although you may think there is a way around it, to argue the point against law enforcers or in court would likely prove fruitless + costly.

If your offended by that then I think it's tough titties to you. Maybe you're just one of the pre-programmed perpetually offended PC mob?
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/F-mju_gW3c8[/video]

My apologies, firstly ,when I backtracked, and checked, most of the postings were related to my original question but from times gone by when someone else has asked something similar. I stand very much corrected and humbly request forgiveness from all my peers over this matter.
Secondly, about my language, I did not intend to cross any lines in respect to the wide age demography of your forum, and mistakenly assumed that using different spelling etc would be ok.
I hope this letter will aid in me being exonerated.
I look forward to joining in with discussions about prospecting and hope bygones will be bygones.

Humblest regards.

Dale Hornby
( Elad )

All good Dale. :Y:
We're fairly heavily regulated in Australia & each state can have different rules or restrictions. Unfortunately dredging, in a hobby type setting, is one thing not allowed in any state.

It might be best to put a thread up with a bit about yourself, like what state you want to fossick/prospect in, what type of gear you want to use etc., that way members in your area of interest can best advise what's ok & what's not + help with set up advice etc.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=18

thanks, mbasco, your comments are great and your suggestion about putting my details etc up is sound advise...I'me onto .

Elad

Latest posts