Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1611551592_27f81221-6cc3-4bca-a4c1-2147538e0ef2.jpg

Having owned and used the Monster, SDC & 5000 in mineralised Vic GT ground I dont put a lot of faith in this marketing table. It just isnt correct relative to mineralised ground. So it is all very subjective and relative to ground type, settings and coil size. They really need to put a clarifying statement along with the table which describes the test environment for each detector under which the table was determined.
Im very interested in the 6000 but wont believe marketing guff. Proof will be in the pudding and Ill be waiting for real life test results from experienced users. Time will tell.

Dignit said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1592_27f81221-6cc3-4bca-a4c1-2147538e0ef2.jpg
Having owned and used the Monster, SDC & 5000 in mineralised Vic GT ground I dont put a lot of faith in this marketing table. It just isnt correct relative to mineralised ground. So it is all very subjective and relative to ground type, settings and coil size. They really need to put a clarifying statement along with the table which describes the test environment for each detector under which the table was determined.
Im very interested in the 6000 but wont believe marketing guff. Proof will be in the pudding and Ill be waiting for real life test results from experienced users. Time will tell.
Agreed am also interested in seeing what new technology will be released with the 6000 .if its good or not remains to be seen , and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
All we have to go on so far is this chart which asks more questions than gives answers . so far it feels a bit like its being marketed by Borat , with phrases like easy expert dont feel they are yet hitting a main marketing demographic. Seasoned prospectors .

Booney said:
Dignit said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1592_27f81221-6cc3-4bca-a4c1-2147538e0ef2.jpg
Agreed am also interested in seeing what new technology will be released with the 6000 .if its good or not remains to be seen , and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
All we have to go on so far is this chart which asks more questions than gives answers . so far it feels a bit like its being marketed by Borat , with phrases like easy expert dont feel they are yet hitting a main marketing demographic. Seasoned prospectors .

Apparently Minelab are now selling more gold detectors in the Middle East/African market than they do in Australia and USA put together! Like it or not, that's clearly their main marketing demographic nowadays.

This might be hard to hear, but minelab don't give toss about dedicated nugget hunters here in Australia. Why would they? Just look at how many people on this forum refuse to upgrade from a 4500.

I think you'll find it's more to do with regarding Australia as a "mature market" from a purely marketing point of view.

Several reasons:

1. Market saturation:
There have already been significant sales of detecting equipment into the Oz market, much of it in recent times, and much of that recent-technology gear is now circulating in a large and mature 2nd hand market.

2. Demographics:
Like so many other physical outdoor pastimes, gold fossicking and treasure hunting are becoming a bit passe with the Western younger set, who would rather spend their "activity" money on paragliding, wind surfing, dirt-biking, adventure hiking, and boot camps and gymnasiums.

3. Opportunity:
Oz, like so many other western countries, is increasingly placing restrictions on activities that are seen as not being eco-friendly (and I don't want to buy an argument here).
I have personally experienced this sort of thing in the never-ending efforts by some to eliminate trout as a species in Australia, on the basis of their effects on some native species.

4. Gold - or the lack thereof:
In terms of gold freely and easily available to the part-time recreational fossicker, I think Oz is increasingly seen as "been there, done that".
Yes, some people are still finding good gold - but have a look at the reward-for-effort ratio, and remember the 80/20 rule discussed recently in another thread.

5. Economic security:
In a country like Oz, where people generally have a well-paying (?) job, urban and health infrastructure, and a myriad of other recreational opportunities. there is less incentive to pursue gold as a source of economic well-being and security.

So, effectively, the African/Middle East, and other markets, represent a less regulated, younger, economically aspirational market.
They are also, in general less educated, and less experienced in their purchasing decisions, and hence more susceptible to marketing terms like "easy expert" and "All gold. All soils. All the time."
Most seasoned prospectors, such as those found in a more mature market like Oz, would want to see a lot more than that before parting with the hard-earned.

maldongold said:
I'm getting early on the 6000 already put down a deposit.
Seems to me every time minelab release a new detector,we have the same old money grab and how could
it be better arguments.Minelab has the runs on the board and are not going to shite in their own nest. :goldnugget:
Do u know the price of the it?

I'm thinking $6000 USD = $7750 AUD add the optional coil + $1250, so maybe a $9k package.

If i remember right my SD2000 cost a shade under $5k when it came out 25 years ago,
add a stack of coils, spare shafts etc and it was a fair investment back then ( still works perfectly BTW )

In terms of relative buying power of my $ then to now, a new 5000/6000/7000 should cost around $15-20k.

Imagine if BH Candy had continued building audio amplifiers instead.

Just my thoughts.

Doug Deep - cripes I hope you're wrong :lol:

It appears like the package is with 2 coils, the third as an option.

My hope is that a basic package is in the 6-6.5 K range.

A 5000 currently is $4,980 at Miner's Den with 2 coils.

I think if they price it anywhere near 9K people will just opt for a GPZ.

But, that's purely speculating (and hoping ;) ).

My take;

If you can't find gold with a SDC, GPX or GPZ, it probably isn't the equipment. :)

If it surfaces as past new models have, Easter might see it on the market, along with someone finding a "big nugget".

I wonder if they will be coding the coils to the machine?

It will be popular for a number of reasons, the ergonomics, onboard battery, bluetooth headphones or speaker, touch operation, software updates, no need for a harness.

Everyone raves how easy the SDC is to operate, this will be no different. Lots of chums out there that find the 4500 and 5000 confusing will trade up.

Totally agree Redfin, then there's the new Geosense technology as well, as long as the price is reasonable I really can't see a negative to the new 6000, but the proof will only show once it's released and results start coming in.
If I had the spare lazy $8k sitting in the bank I'd put a deposit on one now, since I don't have the spare funds sitting there I'll wait and see if it'll be worth trying to raise the funds once we see what it performs like.

My thoughts,
After seeing that graph posted showing the performance difference between .01 gram , .1 gram 1.0 gram ; by comparing the 6000, sdc2300, and gold monster performance that has got me excited with the big plus , and how light is this new baby.
When your talking 4 times more sensitive than the monster, 4 times more sensitive than 2300 and about the same as the 5000 and lighter than a 2300, turn on and go technology I,m thinking I might hire one and try it out. Cant wait.
Like everyone I was hoping they would combine it with the 7000 depths but Im sure that will come in about 4 years time, that's marketing. The pricing is in a logical bracket half way between the 5K and 7 K so no surprises. The auto ground sensing, auto timing selection etc will be so cool after years of GP and GPX's
If I couldn't afford it I would be happy to continue with my 5K & 2300 and get on with it but now some more info has come out its got my juices going man,
Cheers Johno

Latest posts