40E Permit's for WA - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much square meters is a 4 graticular block ?
Not sure if it's a can of worms but rather more infringing on your latest buisiness venture where you charge in the thousands range for "slaves" in your own words to pay, help you "be a part of the mining experience" and then have access to your leases. I'm sure safety is covered if they pay enough.

Sounds more like a white knight post please clarify for me?

edit At this point i don't paticuarly care what type of leases you are referring to but thank god apla understands greed.

In answer to your first question gemini, a block is roughly 3 km2 or 3 million m2. As for the rest of your post, it is pretty ordinary mate and I hope it made you feel good. I can't recall having a go at someone on this forum, I've bit my tongue sometimes sure, but really? If I were Goldtalk, I'd be pretty offended and have every right to be so.

This bloke is someone with real experience, a contemporary old timer, who takes the time to offer honest words of advice and provide insight that takes years and years to gain. He also has to make a living and good luck to him. I don't know him from a bar of soap, but I go on this forum to try and increase my knowledge about gold prospecting so I hope he keeps posting. I for one take notice of what he has to say, it doesn't mean I necessarily agree with everything, but I do take notice.

Now in relation to the S40 issue, he is spot on. And although you said you don't particularly care what type of leases he was referring to, you should, because S40s only apply to Exploration Licenses. The 4 block E is typical size taken out by small guys because of a whole range of reasons - you could do some research at the DMIRS website to find out more if you are actually interested.

The point being made is that the small guy like me, (yes I have a lease) has put a lot of effort into it. It takes a friggin lot of effort, and time, and money, and negotiation and navigation through the process to actually have a lease granted. I really feel for the bloke who had 50 odd S40s over his 1 block EL. Based on your snide comments to Tony it seems like you wouldn't give a rat's. You obviously feel that is OK and if the leaseholder is upset well tough, he is just being 'greedy'.

That attitude, and your swipe at Goldtalk, beggars belief. And surely your comments do not reflect the values of APLA.

So yes you have 'outed' the fact that a block is roughly 3 million square meters, wow such a lot of ground eh? And 4 of them - woooooh. But ever stop to think how much of that ground is prospective, and how much of that is actually productive? Often it is often very shallow and small maybe only 50m x 100 m (5000 m2), sometimes it is much, much smaller, if you are lucky and it's there at all. So how do you reckon you would feel if you had found something and gone to the effort to finally get a lease granted in your name and then have 150 people spend 2 months detecting it? .

FFS, there's a lot of square meters out there, and if someone wants to do the right thing, its easy, just go for your life putting S40's on Company ground and don't go putting S40s on Els that are pegged by small guys. What Goldtalk is saying is that this is what would be expected, it is respectful and the right thing to do. To me it is like leaving a shovel in the hole. But if people are ignorant of that, or don't care, then maybe excluding 4 block and smaller from the S40 system is not a bad idea and may de-fuse things a bit. BTW there would be no benefit to me if that's what you are thinking.

Gem in I said:
How much square meters is a 4 graticular block ?
Not sure if it's a can of worms but rather more infringing on your latest buisiness venture where you charge in the thousands range for "slaves" in your own words to pay, help you "be a part of the mining experience" and then have access to your leases. I'm sure safety is covered if they pay enough.

Sounds more like a white knight post please clarify for me?

edit At this point i don't paticuarly care what type of leases you are referring to but thank god apla understands greed.

Hi Gem in I, I don't understand what a "white Knight Post" is mate...can you explain?

As for the rest of your comments, I won't waste time responding other than to say it's pretty obvious you have little idea about what Lisa and I do and little idea about prospecting in WA.

You call yourselves the small guys trying to have a go.

What do you call the people under you just walking around trying to have a go.

As per the start of this thread it seemed to me about people enquiring how to go about things the right way until it turned into a sob story and personel grievences with chucking apla under the bus somewhat.

Until any lease is granted it's pending which from stories iv'e heard is like moths to a light for a lot of prospectors. They are limited to surface stuff which you are obviously already aware of and acknowledge when you peg. If your EL is so precious maybe consider changing the lease type.

A lot of good people have gotten to your stage because they step their way through and up this process.

I dislike being regarded as a grub enquiring about the best way to go about this hobby.
I could understand if you had your claims jepodised by larger companies but the ground scrappers cmon.

Yes stingray i agree i got totally out of line and i don't feel good about any of it gold talk is an absolute contributer and a better man than i ever will be on any forum or anything to do with gold.

Gem in I said:
You call yourselves the small guys trying to have a go.

What do you call the people under you just walking around trying to have a go.

As per the start of this thread it seemed to me about people enquiring how to go about things the right way until it turned into a sob story and personel grievences with chucking apla under the bus somewhat.

Until any lease is granted it's pending which from stories iv'e heard is like moths to a light for a lot of prospectors. They are limited to surface stuff which you are obviously already aware of and acknowledge when you peg. If your EL is so precious maybe consider changing the lease type.

A lot of good people have gotten to your stage because they step their way through and up this process.

I dislike being regarded as a grub enquiring about the best way to go about this hobby.
I could understand if you had your claims jepodised by larger companies but the ground scrappers cmon.

So, I was responding to a direct question from Shakergt...just to be clear. It's well above 42 degrees at the moment....ducking for cover in the office and so I have some extra time to write a post up on this forum. What I was trying to do, was give what I thought was interesting background to an issue that is a big problem in WA.
It is big enough that a number of professional prospectors will have nothing to do with APLA because they will not address the problem. In fairness, APLA have many issues on their table and this is just another one. Personal greivences....well yes...I guess so. Only because I can see the problems it can cause and have been personally adversely effected by the permit system. Throwing APLA under the bus?....NO...but I have no problems calling things as I see them...keep in mind I get things wrong as well....I'm just a prospector mate.
Everyone starts of as a recreational prospector GEMINI...me too...well sort of. Yes, many good people have taken their prospecting further...I know because I have helped many of them along the way. Are you a 'grub' as you say? I don't know or care mate....you take a swipe at me...thats fine...I have broad shoulders....but perhaps your just another 'prospector' that hides behind your nickname and fires rounds at someone? who can say.

Yes i took a swipe at you your reply post, sounds only based on greed and getting legal prospecting ground locked up as is the case all around australia and it's getting boring trashing other detectorist for your interests regardless the size of your poor shoulders.
Help me to understand why the 40 permit system is no good for people below you?

I agreed i was totally out of line but it was not an apology.

I don't need an apology mate...and to be honest...if I read you right....nothing I say is going to change your attitude. Thats fine as well.

I know we have gone well off topic...but so be it...You make a lot of assumptions Gemini and in fairness I have made quite a few about you...I wont tell you what they are because that would make me bloody rude. As for Lisa and Myself, we are the small players in a very deep pond. We struggle for everything we have and believe it or not pumpkin, money is way down on our list of priorities in life. We do better than most, usually because of bloody minded stubbornness, very good prospecting skills taught to me by my father (and others), making do with old gear that we rebuild ourselves and keeping the show on the road. We get our share of gold (sometimes) and we f'ing earn it mate.

So,yes...ground is and will continue to get locked up....keep in mind I can only talk about WA....and it distress's me no end. There are a lot of reasons for this and one of them are prospectors themselves. Like it or lump it Gemini, there are more sharks in prospecting than swimming in the Indian Ocean. The concerns I raise are not for my benefit...I know the Mining Act quite well and have the experience to back me up, so for me, the problems I raise rarely effect me as I know how to deal with them. I raise the concerns for the industry of prospecting in general....basically because I care. By the way....that is a free shot for you....feel free to turn my words around.

The 40e permit system is a great thing...especially for the people "below me" (you idiot)...I am on record that I support the permit system...but the point is that it needs 'tweaks' to stay current and not shoot small operators up the date. I think I always talk the middle ground (I may be wrong there) as some small changes will not effect recreational prospectors adversely but it will make a positive difference to some lease holders....what the hell is the problem with that?

You need to understand Gemini that I do not consider myself to be anything special...I have probably found more gold than you've had hot dinners (an assumption)...but who cares? I certainly don't....one of the minor reasons we help people out is there is nothing quite like seeing a newchum get onto their first gold. I talk about other prospecting issues because it interests me and sometimes because I'm asked. For what it's worth, as heavily involved as we are into prospecting, we never loose sight of what it's all about. Some people appreciate what we do and then there are people like yourself that tuck into us....and thats your right.

My name is Tony Pilkington and my mobile number is...I'm hard to get hold of as we are often out in the field working....Gemini...you are welcome to call me and discuss things over the phone.

Apologies to 7.62 for the thread going South.

Edit: No priv no's on open forum.

I had to step away for a couple of days over this sorry for the late reply.
I suppose the 4 grat blocks are a bit restrictive in size for a free run of your operation.
Might i SUGGEST a different managerial mindset to your legal prospectors perhaps. I would chase them up rather than chase them off is all i'm saying. I'm sure they have also had a gutfull when doing the right thing. Any blokes i have had work for me i have worked with them first and foremost.
Again not telling you how to run anything just getting a medium petal.
I'm aware of a hulluva lot not going the right way or doing the right thing with jumpers over there so i get a bit shirty when the right paperwork is done but not encouraged.
Thanks for the insight i guess i'll have to harden up when i come over there (2 years in the making then covid) with the proper paperwork and still expect to get chased off.
Unfortunately i wasn't born into it so guess i will learn feet first.

Always educational Goldtalk cheers.

Gem in I said:
I had to step away for a couple of days over this sorry for the late reply.
I suppose the 4 grat blocks are a bit restrictive in size for a free run of your operation.

]I don't think sarcasm is going to work for you on this one....spend some time in the West and then comment.

Might i SUGGEST a different managerial mindset to your legal prospectors perhaps. I would chase them up rather than chase them off is all i'm saying. I'm sure they have also had a gutfull when doing the right thing. Any blokes i have had work for me i have worked with them first and foremost.

Fair enough....but I don't have anyone working for me....and please tell me why I should be having to manage people that are on MY tenement? If you re-read my posts, I have said that chasing people off is one option for a tenement holder...it's not one that I will do. As I said, I decided to stop an operation because a 'nice couple from NSW' took out a 40e on a 1 block e.

Again not telling you how to run anything just getting a medium petal.
I'm aware of a hulluva lot not going the right way or doing the right thing with jumpers over there so i get a bit shirty when the right paperwork is done but not encouraged.
Thanks for the insight i guess i'll have to harden up when i come over there (2 years in the making then covid) with the proper paperwork and still expect to get chased off.

Possibly...it happens...but usually from other prospectors!!! So....it's of no real interest to me if you listen to what I have to say or not....but again..re-read the posts...do not take out a 40e on a small blokes lease...keep it to the large company held e's and you won't run into the problems....

Unfortunately i wasn't born into it so guess i will learn feet first.

More assumptions on my part...but doubt you will ever learn the ropes over here.

Always educational Goldtalk cheers.

I am always happy to help anyone if I can Gemini...even you....

Ok men, just like Con The Greengrocer---Biggg Kiss on the cheek, shake hands and have big cuddle and a cry if you want;
Now get out there and pay your state taxes.
Cheers fellas.

yep never mind i hope the process will have both aspects spoken for fair and reasonably and whatever the outcome it is the decision to be upheld with no matter what.

Morning, I am trying to do a 40E and have found the area on Tengraph but it is showing Blue Graph lines which i know means Pending Tenement. I have no idea how to find live tenements as been searching Tengraph for over 2 hours. I thought there was area of Crown Land as the Pastoral Lease owners advise a 40E is required to prospect just past their land but be damned if I can see Crown land expect nearly 100km from the Station which I know it isnt that far. I cant do the 40E as it is saying i need live number? This is so confusing. The area i am looking at is E 47/4282 if anyone can assist or advise it is appreciated. :D

E 47/4282 is a pending tennament so you do not require a S40e permit for it.. Its on Rockley PL so just let the PLH know that you will be about.

On the Tengraph site just below Tennament you will see Cadastre, slect this Then right click on the area you want to find aout about and select "Find data on map"
that shoud give you all you need to know.

If you can see the blue areas you shold be able to see the green areas which are the live leases.

Like Balmain Bob says you can't get a 40E for pending ground and there is plenty of pending around the area of you enquiry and the tengraph shows the green live leases and also the double hatched aqua colour which has live and pending over lapping

1646535431_pending_areas.jpg