Getting fittings onto canvas layflat hose

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be careful using grease, oil etc on your prospecting gear as gold will float out with any oil or grease. I only use detergents, soaps etc. to lube any of my prospecting equipment. If you use oil or grease give it a good flush out with hot soapy water.

Cracka.

38mm is the ID of the hose so what you will need is a clamp in the range of 36 to 42mm.
I can get the size of mine if you wish. :)

Tathradj said:
38mm is the ID of the hose so what you will need is a clamp in the range of 36 to 42mm.
I can get the size of mine if you wish. :)

All good now thanks mate.

I picked up a couple of 40-43mm T-bolt clamps on the way home. Slit the hose up each side about 25mm and soaked it in some hot water. Cut the first oversize barb off each fitting and smeared a very light coating of Belray waterproof grease on.

Ended up just using one pair of flat nosed pliars and worked my way around slowly pulling down one bit at a time. Oh, and I remembered to put the clamps on first :)

Tightened it all up and hopefully no leaks, but I won't know for sure until it gets a test run. Looks like it will hold.....

Thanks a lot for all the tips fellas, hopefully they will also come in handy for the next poor bugger that has a go at it and ends up in here.

Cheers,
John

That's the shot mate.
I doubt if you will have any problems. When you tightened them, Do you still have a gap between the bolt post's. ?
The good old " Not put the item on first only to discover later" type trick. :8
Only too happy to help out.
Now get out there and go for it. :D :D

There was a bit of a gap, so hopefully it will be ok. Just ordered another half dozen clamps for the other hoses in the collection.

Looking forward to a big weekend of highbanking very soon.

As long as they are reasonably firm with a gap between the bolt post's you will be fine.
The band clamps really hang on and with the barbs underneath it will not go any where. Just remember
to carry a spanner with you in case of on field adjustments.
Believe it or not, I have seen a canvas hose used for towing a vehicle,
Not that I would recommend it and the clamps did not move. LOL

I have also got myself 1.5" Lay Flat Canvas Hose & A 1.5" Cam-Lock Fitting, the hose doesn't look nowhere big enough as it's the exact same size as the O.D dimensions. What's the best method on getting the Cam-Lock fitting to go into the canvas layflat hose.

Never fitted anything using layflat but I'd try dipping the hose into hot water and pre freeze the camlock fittings just don't forget to slip your hose clamps onto each end of the hose first.

Pretty sure someone who's done it and has a successful process will chime in.

I had the identical issue. tiniest bit of coconut oil on the camlock where it slides over (sure any would work) and slides on like a glove, fit it with a ring clamp and will not move

Bundyjd's method worked best for me. A 20mm slot on each side of hose. Place camlock on the ground, a bit of dish liquid on the inside of the hose. Then grab the 2 slitted ends of the hose with 2 pair pliers and push it down over the camlock all the way to the bottom of the slits. Then just trim the slits off and clamp (remember to put clamps on before hose. Lol).
Using the pliers i find provides more leverage and also negates the slipperiness of the dish liquid :Y:

Timmy2312 said:
I have also got myself 1.5" Lay Flat Canvas Hose & A 1.5" Cam-Lock Fitting, the hose doesn't look nowhere big enough as it's the exact same size as the O.D dimensions. What's the best method on getting the Cam-Lock fitting to go into the canvas layflat hose.

you'll find most layflat hose is 38mm rather than 40mm so you'll need to use some grease of some sort, i use bearing grease on mine but anything will do, also you should use a rubber mallet to knock the camlock in, short sharp knocks

Latest posts