Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will lay odds that not long after the release when ever that will be there will be big nugs being found with the 6000 on the flogged areas just before school holidays ,Easter, and Christmas just like when the Z came out, think I will stay with my 45 and if I was going to upgrade why wouldn't you spend the extra 1500 to get a Z. PP

Originally there was talk of the GPX6000 weighing around 6-7 pounds, which to me was a big negative but it comes in at 4.6 pound so it's looking more appealing to people like me with shoulder issues, just need to see the performance in the field and that would make it very tempting indeed.

1611440474_fb_img_1611169434626.thumb.jpg.540f91166cb356c108f08efbf34c1e39.jpg

Jaros said:
Don't you just love it -advertising. Manipulating the minds of people who are dreaming of the one "Nugget" that will guarantee the rest of their lives living by the sea and sand. If I buy the dearest detector the odds are better than a cheaper model. By geez you would have to be lucky.
Getting to know your detectors intricacies is not easy and knowing the coils to use in the right areas is a huge asset. Practice in using the detector with different coils and settings is the clue.
Add 85% luck and finding something that will pay off your detector plus costs of food and fuel etc. That's where the planning comes in-Do it right and you might end up alright.
'tis a game of chance and knowledge the odds of breaking even are the game.
Jaros.

Spot on Jaros.

Thing is.....if you can afford 8k then you can afford 9.5 for a 7..... wouldnt you just go for the best get the 7???

My knowledge of detectors extends solely to the 'Nox 800 at the moment.

But I've had a little bit more to do with marketing.

Isn't it interesting that in the Weight comparison table shown above, Minelab are eager to compare the 6000 with the 7000.

But in the Performance comparison table shown in Post #227, the 7000 doesn't rate a mention.

Gives you some idea of where the strengths of the 6000 might lie in comparison to the 7000.....and I suspect it's not in performance.

Really, I have no affiliation with Minelab, but if they do see this - can I please have a free new GPX 6000?

1611450466_6000-gold.jpg

Woops, I accidentally posted a media release on the new 6000. Hope Minelab sales department don't mind???

Goldtalk Leonora said:
Jaros said:
Don't you just love it -advertising. Manipulating the minds of people who are dreaming of the one "Nugget" that will guarantee the rest of their lives living by the sea and sand. If I buy the dearest detector the odds are better than a cheaper model. By geez you would have to be lucky.
Getting to know your detectors intricacies is not easy and knowing the coils to use in the right areas is a huge asset. Practice in using the detector with different coils and settings is the clue.
Add 85% luck and finding something that will pay off your detector plus costs of food and fuel etc. That's where the planning comes in-Do it right and you might end up alright.
Jaros.

Spot on Jaros.

Thing is.....if you can afford 8k then you can afford 9.5 for a 7..... wouldnt you just go for the best get the 7???
If weight wasn't an issue then I'd agree 100%
When the body is starting to wear out like a few of us here, the extra 1.1 kg in the 7 can be the difference between enjoying getting out detecting all day(s) or suffering for a few days after a 4 hour session.
I wish I was 20 again but I'm not, and weight is my biggest issue with detecting.

1611461934_d6128c47-cd56-4d6b-b612-cb8c993843d3.jpg

If the 6000 is as good as its claimed on tiny .05g , .1g , 1g and above , all at the same time , at all depths . That means picking up all the lead shot just like the sdc and the monster. This can be very time consuming and frustrating, taking away precious search time for bigger bits . This is why l like different detectors for different jobs and different areas if Im chasing smaller gold in surfaced shallow ground its the sdc and you get all the shot .
If Im chasing bigger gold in shallow ground its the gpx , which misses most of the small annoying shot depending on coils. I guess what Im saying is if you have a detector that claims to find all gold at all depths without adjusting settings .its going to pick up all that tiny lead .
we all know how much there is out there. No use having a machine that does it all at the same time you will just spend all day picking up shot .

Booney: If the 6000 is as good as its claimed on tiny .05g , .1g , 1g and above , all at the same time , at all depths . That means picking up all the lead shot just like the sdc and the monster. This can be very time consuming and frustrating, taking away precious search time for bigger bits . This is why l like different detectors for different jobs and different areas if Im chasing smaller gold in surfaced shallow ground its the sdc and you get all the shot .
If Im chasing bigger gold in shallow ground its the gpx , which misses most of the small annoying shot depending on coils. I guess what Im saying is if you have a detector that claims to find all gold at all depths without adjusting settings .its going to pick up all that tiny lead .
we all know how much there is out there. No use having a machine that does it all at the same time you will just spend all day picking up shot .

I hadn't really thought about that but you are spot on. Unfortunately it's all speculation currently - can't wait for the REAL test reports to come through. I've got to say, I find this with the 7000 as compared to the 5000, heaps more tiny trash (even on deep setting!). This is where 4500/5000 machines will never be beaten..."versatility", from Sadie to the 32inch concentric coils - there is a coil and setting combination for every occasion. Well said Booney :Y: ;)

I have a selfish concern.
Im worried that folks that couldnt find gold with an older gpx etc might get lucky on their first few trips, even if its only tiny gold, and we will have more people detecting. More people mean more regulation and more open holes and more restrictive access.

Im willing to bet that graphic isnt reflected in the real world.
Certainly that chart is oversimplified, but I like your analysis Booney.

If turns out the 6 is halfway as good as its claimed and around the pricing everyone is expecting I think its popularity might exceed expectation in new user market, and scoop up a few others like myself that enjoy swinging an SDC and just plodding along with simple no fuss operations.

If youre clever, dedicated and want less automation theres already those machines, but if you want to just go out when it suits you and be in with a good chance of success following in everyone elses footsteps I reckon the 6 will have great appeal.

Every Minelab release (save for the Vanquish) Ive looked at purchasing the unit near release, then waited for the market to stabilise (early adopters always seem to pay the highest purchase prices) then evaluate from there. I never got around to picking up or using a Zed purely as a weight issue rather than a price or performance concern.

Everyone whos been floating around here as long (or longer) as myself has seen every machine speculated on, called over priced, unsuitable, lacking performance etc. Then a few months later we all hear the no BS reports as the users get their operations side of things in order, early unit issues are worked out and Minelab scores a new product market thats supported by the majority of the detecting world.

For clarity heres the list.
5000, wont pick up spongy gold, unit wasnt as good as 4500. 4800 suffered the oddball criticism.
SDC. Who the hell wants flypoop gold, falsing, speaker on the wrong side, falls over, overpriced.
Zed, coil issues, ferrite issues, not as good as 5k, too pricey, new coils too expensive, weight problems.
Monster. Kids toy, no good on hot ground, falsing, no depth.

Yet all of them still found gold in a logical progression of outperforming another unit on distinct types of gold/conditions. We would all be a long way behind had none of them been released.

Purely from that track record it might be argued its easy to fall into the trap of expecting too much of the new 6000, but if the past is anything to go by I reckon we will probably see another unit that might not be perfect, but have its place in the lineup.

ProspectorPete said:
Goldtalk Leonora said:
Jaros said:
Jaros.

Spot on Jaros.

If weight wasn't an issue then I'd agree 100%
When the body is starting to wear out like a few of us here, the extra 1.1 kg in the 7 can be the difference between enjoying getting out detecting all day(s) or suffering for a few days after a 4 hour session.
I wish I was 20 again but I'm not, and weight is my biggest issue with detecting.

Fair point PP

davent said:
I have a selfish concern.
Im worried that folks that couldnt find gold with an older gpx etc might get lucky on their first few trips, even if its only tiny gold, and we will have more people detecting. More people mean more regulation and more open holes and more restrictive access.

All that is happening anyway mate......the death of prospecting as a hobby will be it's popularity.

The machine to me look likes candy to a baby!! Come spend your money Yeah it is gooooodddd!!!!

Booney said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1934_d6128c47-cd56-4d6b-b612-cb8c993843d3.jpg
If the 6000 is as good as its claimed on tiny .05g , .1g , 1g and above , all at the same time , at all depths . That means picking up all the lead shot just like the sdc and the monster. This can be very time consuming and frustrating, taking away precious search time for bigger bits . This is why l like different detectors for different jobs and different areas if Im chasing smaller gold in surfaced shallow ground its the sdc and you get all the shot .

You're on the money there booney. None of that chart interests me in the slightest until it gets to the 100 gram line, and then it's only 4 stars for the 6000 vs 3 stars for the 5000, without even telling us which size coils are being used. Come up with something that can tell the difference between lead and gold and I may be interested in replacing the 5000

Booney said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1934_d6128c47-cd56-4d6b-b612-cb8c993843d3.jpg
I literally have found some bits of gold so small with the 7000 that after 10 minutes rooting around trying to actually see it, I have almost thrown the bit away in disgust!
6000: "Dig more tiny sh*t at even greater depths"...not the best slogan :)

OldGT said:
Im willing to bet that graphic isnt reflected in the real world.
Certainly that chart is oversimplified, but I like your analysis Booney.

If turns out the 6 is halfway as good as its claimed and around the pricing everyone is expecting I think its popularity might exceed expectation in new user market, and scoop up a few others like myself that enjoy swinging an SDC and just plodding along with simple no fuss operations.

If youre clever, dedicated and want less automation theres already those machines, but if you want to just go out when it suits you and be in with a good chance of success following in everyone elses footsteps I reckon the 6 will have great appeal.

Every Minelab release (save for the Vanquish) Ive looked at purchasing the unit near release, then waited for the market to stabilise (early adopters always seem to pay the highest purchase prices) then evaluate from there. I never got around to picking up or using a Zed purely as a weight issue rather than a price or performance concern.

Everyone whos been floating around here as long (or longer) as myself has seen every machine speculated on, called over priced, unsuitable, lacking performance etc. Then a few months later we all hear the no BS reports as the users get their operations side of things in order, early unit issues are worked out and Minelab scores a new product market thats supported by the majority of the detecting world.

For clarity heres the list.
5000, wont pick up spongy gold, unit wasnt as good as 4500. 4800 suffered the oddball criticism.
SDC. Who the hell wants flypoop gold, falsing, speaker on the wrong side, falls over, overpriced.
Zed, coil issues, ferrite issues, not as good as 5k, too pricey, new coils too expensive, weight problems.
Monster. Kids toy, no good on hot ground, falsing, no depth.

Yet all of them still found gold in a logical progression of outperforming another unit on distinct types of gold/conditions. We would all be a long way behind had none of them been released.

Purely from that track record it might be argued its easy to fall into the trap of expecting too much of the new 6000, but if the past is anything to go by I reckon we will probably see another unit that might not be perfect, but have its place in the lineup.
OldGT, IMO you've hit the nail on the head, probably the best post I've seen so far regarding the 6000 and what you say about the previous releases is spot on.
We won't know exactly what it does until it's been released and out there for a few months and if the past trends are something to go by then it's got my attension for sure, I'm not quite ready to sell my 4500 and accessories just yet but if the planets aligned and it worked out I could fund the 6000 from not dipping into savings and just selling off gear then I'm ready to take the plunge, simply for the weight issues and simplicity of use as well as past history on previous releases turning out to be better with each release.
Watching the roll out with a lot of interest :Y:

Latest posts