Selling gold - how, why, where

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldierocks said:
mbasko said:
Australian native gold is sought after because it has a high purity regardless of state.
Can't remember where this came from but the below was supposed to be the median average of each state. Could also be lower or higher.
Tasmania 92 - 98%
Victoria 92 - 98%
New South Wales 92 - 98%
Queensland 92 - 98%
South Australia 88 - 96%
Northern Territory 88 - 96%
Western Australia 85 - 95%
Some other countries can be as low as 60% I believe.
Mbasko, that is about the same as saying that a man with one foot in ice and the other in boiling water is at a nice average temperature - as I noted above it varies all over the place within a State. To quote the Geological Survey of Victoria "The mineralogy and geochemistry of the gold mineralisation show broad regional variations. The fineness [1000 gold/(gold + silver)] of most mesozonal orogenic gold is greater than 920 (92%), but in the Stawell Zone it is commonly less than 750 (75%) and occasionally less than 300 (30%)." It mostly varies with type of deposit. A different price per ounce was paid for gold in each different Victorian goldfield (so it could be less than half as much in parts of the Stawell Zone (e.g. St Arnaud) compared with say the Ballarat goldfield. One cannot assume unless you are very familiar with local variation and very sure where gold comes from. Try selling parcels of alluvial gold from mixed sources to a gold buyer.....
:rolleyes: As usual well above the intent of my post (which was only to show good gold purity can come from all states of Australia) & over the top for the majority of hobbyists wanting to sell small parcels of gold found detecting or panning/sluicing.
I don't know of any gold buyer who doesn't use some method of analysis prior to offering a price based on the results of that analysis.
Teemore is 100% correct in saying that private sales can be more profitable without any analysis of purity or gold buyers premium involved. It's worth it if you can soften or accept the risks to yourself i.e. face to face sale vs. using postage etc.

Hi,

Looking to sell some nuggets but not on ebay.
I'm in Vic
Has anyone a buyer they recommend who was fair and trustworthy?
Can only find PW Beck in Adelaide and Grappys in Maryborough (vic)

Staples

Sandbagger said:
Thanks guys. I was just about to post it today, when the price plummeted down $200 overnight!

Not sure if I should send it now, or hang on to it.

Baz.

If you send it via Auspost, by the time it gets to Adelaide, if Auspost don't lose it, the price will have recovered.

I think Auspost have reverted back to the pony express days, although thats still giving Auspost a complement :lol:

Send it to Adelaide the same way the ABC or Perth Mint would, and insure the stuff. (can't remember the Couriers they use)

That's how I would look at it.

Australia Post, I had on really excellent experience with them, everything else is neutral, either they did the job slowly (very) or it just didn't turn up
and they are too difficult to deal with to recover anything.

Auspost 'Star Track' is the same.

I just don't use Auspost for anything of value or importance.

Sadly, I remember when they were the only way to do things, and they were good.

:/

Gpx5000 said:
Sandbagger said:
Thanks guys. I was just about to post it today, when the price plummeted down $200 overnight!
Not sure if I should send it now, or hang on to it.
Baz.

If you send it via Auspost, by the time it gets to Adelaide, if Auspost don't lose it, the price will have recovered.
I think Auspost have reverted back to the pony express days, although thats still giving Auspost a complement :lol:
You're not wrong! Here's their latest tracking report for a delivery I'm waiting on:
1627714175_auspost_circular_delivery.jpg

The parcel arrived here in Perth at Welshpool (10 minutes from my house!) on Wednesday 28-Jul, then on Friday 30-Jul they sent it back to the Airport (5 minutes from my house!) and then sent it back again to Welshpool the same day.
Fair go, will I finally get it on Monday or will they send it around another lap, do you reckon? :rolleyes:

Thanks, have never sold any gold before so thinking there or some have mentioned Peter W Beck. Will have to do some more research to work out whats best for me. Cheers :Y:

I have not dealt with Peter Beck 's company in Adelaide but I have only read good reports over the years . Look them up on the internet .

Thanks Mike678 will do. Nice work Baz!
I looking to sell to get a 6000 soon, well one day soon.

Latest posts