How Many Detectors And Why? Confess!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In order of purchase.
Gold seeker 15000 traded in
GT 16000 still have
XT17000 Traded in
SD2200 x 2 Traded in
GP3000 x 2 still have one
Sovereign Still have
GPX3500 Traded in
GPX4500 Traded in on day of purchase in was a dud.
GPX5000 Still have
GPZ7000 Still have
SDC2300 Still have
GM1000 Still have

But I'm not addicted to detecting.
cheers db :lol: :lol:

For gold, if finding it is a bit more than a hobby, I think you've got to stay current and keep up with technology. Every new detector release should bring something (hopefully better) to the table. We've had every new release from the 3000 up, 3500, 4500, 5000, 2300, CTX 3030, Equinox 800 and now the 7000. Now we just run the 7 and have a 2300 also. I think we've been fortunate to be able to afford these upgrades though. Detecting is not the cheapest pastime but it's addictive (they say the sooner you admit you have a problem, the sooner you can be helped, db?) ?? haha. :lol: I'm pretty pleased it's something we have been able to do.

Detector's I've traded or sold are Garrett Deep Seeker / Quattro / X-Terra 30 / SD2000 / GP Extreme / GP3500. The one's I have in my stable now Tesoro Cibola /Whites GMT / Whites MXT / Sovereign XS2 / Etrac / GPX4500 / Equinox 800 / Makro Gold Kruzer / Deeptech Vista X. I like being an addict and I don't want to be cured.

My first was the MG Eureka Gold, to trip to the GT and very quickly realised it wasn't gonna cut it as a gold detector in this day and age.
It was traded in on a GPX5000.

I then got a X-Terra 705 for the beach and to see if the wife would get interested, she didn't.

I then used a mates 2300 for a couple of days, so.... persuaded SWMBO for me to buy the SDC2300 and sold off the 705.

As I'm getting older, I found swinging the 5000, especially with bigger coils, to be too much effort all day. Figuring "I'm here for a good time not a hard time", lol. So I get to an area, do the 5000 till lunch then swap to the 2300 for the afternoon. Unless I'm in an area like diggings/surfaced where I use the 2300 all day.

I've found that I might pick up with the 5000, but I always get something with the 2300 and have found more with it. :)

Started out with the Garrett ATX and Whites GMT.

ATX - regretfully sold - found a 35g piece in the first two weeks and a 6g the following week.
GMT - a fun machine but it rarely gets used now.
GPX4500 x 2 - these detectors have paid for themselves ten times over.
SDC2300 x 3 two are worn out and fall apart or fold up when used but owe us nothing.
Equinox 800 - the least used and the only one to have not paid for it's self.

Used on the Vic/WA goldfields.
SD2200D - I do not have the heart to sell it. It was my first PI and still one of the best detectors ever with a DD. (Modded with a tracking button.)
GPX5000 - using Evo coils, small and large. Patch hunt with the 15".
XTerra 70 - light and easy for the Grandkids to run on mullock. Small DD.

Started with a couple of Garrett ADS Deepseeker VLFs in the late 80s in WA when in spite of the inability to keep a stable GB in the high mineralization of the goldfields you could still detect a 1oz gold nugget on the surface with patience... a lot of patience. But they were there for the taking then. Still are I see.

Used it also on & off around Bathurst/Orange and Gympie until 2017 when I bought a Whites TDI. My first PI & compared to the ADS it was heaven (as it should be). Had fun making mods to improve depth & usability & was very happy with it, especially with a Sadie on it but it still struggled in really high mineralised ground. Is now the wifes/backup detector.

Got a Makro Gold Kruzer at beginning of last year specifically for using ID in trashy areas and that has paid off well. Handles mineralisation surprisingly well, but not immune. Allowed me to revisit places I had given up on.

Got a QED PL3 mid last year & it is a dream - sensitive, stable & lightweight. Use it with a 14 x 9 Evo & of late an 18 Elite. The Elite is hilariously big & does nothing for the balance but certainly goes deep. I now need to revisit previously detected non trashy areas. I may never get to any new ground at this rate.

So my time interval between detectors has been 30years, 3 years, 3 months... I dont like this trend !

I have the GPX 5000 which is what I use mostly. I also bought the Gold monster 1000 recently as a back up machine for small stuff but mainly for the kids to use, and an Aldi 100 buck job for :poop: and giggles.

Garrett Infinium Garrett ATX SDC 2300 , still own the 3 of them, why keep them? - have found gold with each. Purchased a Vanquish 540 last year to go over the trashy areas so I don't have to dig every target , as you have to with the PI detectors

Started with an Alditector to see if the hobby was for me (it was :lol: ).Bought an Exterra705 and then an Equinox 600 both of which I still have. The Alditector was given to a mates young boy who wanted to give detecting a try.