Red Dust Removal from Galvanised Iron

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all.
My Jayco Outback has now done around 40K of outback travelling.
We all know the red dust gets into everything and takes years to get rid of, but does anyone know how to get the heavy iron staining from the galvanised iron chassis and tow frame?
I've heard some recommending:

1 Chemtech CT18
2 CLR
3 Ranex
4 ALU-Clean
5 Autoglyph Liquid Clay
6 RIO
7 Jiff with a good green scourer
8 Napisan as a thick paste and stiff brush

Other's say it's impossible to clean without removing the galvanising, as the red iron dust oxidises when wet into the galvanising, and requires mild acid to remove.

Anyone have some solid recommendations, as whilst the red is a badge of honour, I'd like to remove most/all without destroying the galvanising.

I'd talk directly to a company or a couple who know galvanising I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction :beer:

I was going to suggest WD 40, spray it on thick, leave it sit and see how it goes.
Just do a small test patch, spray it on, sit, and then clean it off with truck wash.

You could always soak some newspaper in whatever you choose to use so it holds damp against it for a longer time.

I will be surprised if you ever remove it. With my old camper it was there all time no matter how well it got cleaned. It gets into somehow

Try your local Indian hand car wash they know all the secrets when it comes to dye's and how to remove them, red dust is in theory the same thing :lol:

Latest posts