Dolly Pot - For crushing Quartz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Although technically not DIY, I got this made for me today and thought I'd share it in case anyone was looking to make their own.

So I dropped into the local steel supplies place today and asked them to make me the following dolly pot, $50 and a few hours later I picked this up, simples :)

Shaft: 250mm x 5mm
Diameter: 50mm
Base Plate: 170mm x 170mm x 10mm
Pestle: 400mm x 30mm

1393392312_dolly_1.jpg

1393392323_dolly_2.jpg

1393392333_dolly_3.jpg

Nugget.

Thanks HB, I'm happy to get a few made up for members if need be. The quality is excellent and the shaft is welded perfectly flat to the base which is what you need.

Nice Dolly and pestles there Nugget.

I have attached a photo of my dolly and pestle that I use for speckies or testing an area.
The dolly is generic however I wanted to share with other PA members the pestle setup that I have. Its a bit over the top for a pestle, however other members who like DIY may want to duplicate something similar. Its like a yabby pump with a huge weight on the bottom. The weight on the bottom screws on and off the shaft while the guides on the outside make the shaft go down straight. Its good for the end of a day smashing quartz with one hand and a cool beverage in the other.
Not trying to take over your thread mate, i have been meaning to post a pic for awhile. Your thread reminded me to get around to it.
1393395709_imag1003.jpg

Very creative Brumble-Gum, I can see what you're going for there.

I've given it a quick go with the generic style pestal and it seems to do the job quite well, it is a two handed job though. They have some thicker round bar in stock which I thought about getting if the the 30mm didn't quite cut it, but I think for what I'm doing the 30mm will be OK.

Great price there Nugget, did you request 50mm diameter?

I specified all the dimensions after having a browse through their shed.

I may need to check on the measurements tomorrow because it may even be 60mm, I just picked it off the rack and said that size should do it lol.

Nice one Nugget, I'm sure some members will take you up on the offer. Cheapest I've seen in prospecting outlets is around 110-120. Slightly larger diameter.

Matt I'm after one of your dolly pots cheers
I assume that is you selling them on ebay?

Hi Jason, yeah that's me mate. I noticed there was nothing available so decided to list a few on there. I'm happy to get them made up for members at cost price + shipping, send me a PM once you hit 10 posts and I'll get one sent out to you.

Looks good Nugget. Lets hope the dust comming out of it has the yellow in it.. looks very robust. Being local made if and when you need the base plate replaced your set!!

Cheers Tone

I crushed a little quartz this morning and pulled around 6-7 specks out of the dust below. I've got a few kg's here to work through so I'm hoping there's plenty more specks to come.

1393721297_img_20140302_114757.jpg

P.S. For size reference, the pan in the photo is a 10" Garrett Backpacker.

I have seen a video about some guys using a dolly pot with the hammer connected to a rattle gun or impact driver. the shaft was a steel rod (looked like a large screwdriver shaft with a 1 1/2 inch head screwed in, took no time to crush the quartz. maybe an idea if you have one of those Nugget

Cheers, tone

Brumble-Gum said:
Nice Dolly and pestles there Nugget.

I have attached a photo of my dolly and pestle that I use for speckies or testing an area.
The dolly is generic however I wanted to share with other PA members the pestle setup that I have. Its a bit over the top for a pestle, however other members who like DIY may want to duplicate something similar. Its like a yabby pump with a huge weight on the bottom. The weight on the bottom screws on and off the shaft while the guides on the outside make the shaft go down straight. Its good for the end of a day smashing quartz with one hand and a cool beverage in the other.
Not trying to take over your thread mate, i have been meaning to post a pic for awhile. Your thread reminded me to get around to it.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1569/1393395709_imag1003.jpg

Brumble Gum - mate its no where near a yabby pump with a huge weight on the bottom - the whole unit - mould and hammer is used in a proctor compaction test - used by geotechnical soil testing companies - its actually an expensive bit of laboratory gear you have their - i used to be soil tech and used both those hammer & mould units every day for a few years.

would actually work brilliant but i reckon you could sell them for a few hundred and get something much cheaper for your rock crushing

How do you protect your eyes? Does it not chip all over the place.....I have a bad habit of copping it in the eye. Try crushing garlic/chilli/lime and ginger in a pestle and you guessed it...will end up in my eye somehow!

Latest posts