Snakes & Prospecting Safety

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why it pays to know your snakes. Lowland Copperheads are known for their inaccuracy when striking, and are much slower than a brown, and unless you step on them like my young ones nearly did with this one, they give out a hiss as a warning. I like snakes (unlike spiders), and I'm happy to leave them be, but not when there are young kids around and the snake has a fascination with the back step. Heavy Steel rake with close prongs that I made myself, followed by an axe while it's pinned to the ground. Be careful with the head as it's still potentially poisonous if you prick yourself. They are unavoidable when you live on acreage in Vic with a population of Pobblebonk and Growling frogs.

On a Property around Rocky QLD years ago working dismantling a tractor steering box.
Had a strange feeling so looked behind me `I` was on the ground but not for long.
Mid size Taipan was right behind me.
`i` jumped up onto the tractor it jumped back & hit it`s head on the gal wall shed.
`I` think the curious creature was interested in the ratchet spanner clicking away.
Wow Snakes alive. Think I might just do the Winter Detecting thing.

Did Someone say there was a Missing Person.
1610569439_screenshot_553.jpg

Hi Dr Lex Winter we don't actually allow talk on illegal activities on this forum. :zzz:
Now i` need to go back and review that mosquito comment.
woops.
Bugga `i` can`t even just Post Pictures without breaching the code. mmmm. :(

A couple of little snake stories from the Capricorn Coast back in the early 1980`s.
Driving with a mate from the Emu Park Hotel along the road towards Yeppoon late one night.
Nearing the Causeway Crossing we saw a Huge Python across the road.
It`s head was the size of a round mouth shovel just short of the road shoulder and it`s tail was still into the scrub on the other side of the two lane road.
Swerving the vehicle off the road into the shoulder ditch we managed to pass it without hitting it.
Then a handbrake U-turn to go back and check it out and it was gone.
`I` could not believe how quick it had removed it`s self.
My guess it was 20ft / 6 meters long.

On a property in the same vicinity a member of the family was walking along tracks amongst tall guinea grass.
A snake big snake python lunged out and locked onto his loose long trousers.
Pulling away the snake let go tearing a whole in his pants. He said lucky he was not wearing jeans.
So anyone doubting that a missing person was not in fowl play from a large snake.
`i` would say you were wrong.
Have another couple of tales to tell but some other time.
Cheers. :beer: