Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the latest scoop!....direct from inside Minelab. The overseas promos were pre-emptive and should not have been released as yet as it does not align with an official release date (a vague "month or two" was mentioned).

Minelab found it a challenge to bring something new to the market when current technology has remained the same for some time, but did their best in the 6000. No response to price or performance as yet, but I got the impression they were very happy with the overall outcome of the 6000. That's it, short, brief - still not saying to much.

An upgraded sdc with gpx auto function for the wife, no problem hope it's good enough that i have to dig the holes because her sdc is easy for herself. Great little machine still.(sdc) and will still keep it as a pinpointer.

I think without the sdc she might not have gotten into detecting.
maybe this was thought of in marketing as well.

Looks like we will have to hope the aftermarket coils guys can build us some Flatwire coils for the new GPX. Too bad it couldn't have used our old gpx coils. That coil connector is way different than the pins on the old gpx. I won't be buying til I see some flatwire coils available for it. If its even possible. Unless the ground is wet I always run flatwire coils these days.

Here is a link to the end of the coil wire/plug.

1610662359_img_20210114_162538.jpg.ec66e1b560166d83762409c0c6a53c35.jpg

I think that plug is the same.
Looks like Minelab have just used a new looking plug screw on, otherwise the same connector.
New look, new design.

Like others have said, I think it's being primarily aimed at the international market. Serious prospectors here in OZ will stick to the 4500/5000 as they offer endless configurations, both physical (coils, harness set ups) and through settings with lots of other aftermarket stuff available.

Even after using the zed for some time, I can see that the only detector available to date that allows a more synergistic matching of coil-operator-setting-ground type-etc...etc.. will always be the 4500/5000. For me though, the Zed and I work better together as the balance suits my back issues better than the GPX did.

Have used the SDC2300, Gold Bug, GPX5000, Equinox 600 and GPZ7000 - my "personal" favorite is the 7000 as it allows me to prospect with reduced back and neck pain which I have to take daily pain medication for. So it was the lesser of the lot...the 4500/5000, I loved the selections and options but didn't quite enjoy the ergonomics and learning curve with SO MANY options available. That is where I think Minelab are coming in with their "consumer product", the 6000.

The only thing I think they will struggle with is the price (unless field performance results dictate otherwise). If I'm going to spend $8,000 on a detector - I sure as hell am going to spend a little more and get the GPZ7000!

P.S. Now wait for the aftermarket "coil adapter" that allows older coils to work :p ????

diggin4gold said:
I think that plug is the same.
Looks like Minelab have just used a new looking plug screw on, otherwise the same connector.
New look, new design.

Same as what? this one has three pins in a row and one above, bit hard to see what else. Plus the plug on the coil lead has male pins where as the previous gpx coils have a female plug on the coil cable and male plug on the control box, all totally different from the picture showing the gpx6000

The GPX4500/5000 etc coils have 5 pin plug in a circular pattern.

1610682322_5_pin_inline_mic_plugs.jpg

Looks like a 7 pin plug, Probably just different Plugs on samee coil spec... It would make sense, Particularly if they need more pins for the geosense function.

MarK Day from E. E. Day & Sons in Ballarat (Ballarat Gold) seems to be the first Aussie retailer to confirm it's coming (worst kept secret obviously) but he hasn't (isn't allowed to ??) respond regarding dates or price ...... at least it's an Aussie bit of news.

Also see that Bendigo Gold are offering discounts on GPZ.

We all like new toys. I haven't followed this thread but spotted it after StayyerAU's post today. I think mostly we buy these new machines just because we like to have the latest and greatest and we'd hate to think we could be doing better than we are with the old gear we've got. I think if you are spending money that you really can't afford to part with a little research might be in order. Take an honest look at who's finding the gold and what tools are they using. Even if they are the guys with the latest and greatest machines I think you'll find they are also the same guys who were finding the gold before they got these new machines. Unless there's something really ground breaking in the design and performance of the new machine than it's no more than a feel-good gift to yourself and of course there's nothing wrong with that :)

I'm not bosting here, just trying to make a point. We took up metal detecting about 5 years back with a Garrett ATX and a Whites GMT. We went out and found good gold but not near as well as when we moved up to the GPX4500 and SDC2300. Those first two machines never paid for themselves but certainly paid the difference so that the upgrade didn't take anything out of the pocket.

Now take a look at the difference in the old obsolete GPX4500 and the GPZ7000 with its fancy electronics, considerable extra weight and very large price tag. We've spent many months out there over the last few years in the company of those swinging the GPZ7000 and there are times when I say to Mrs M "I wonder how much better we'd have done with a 7000"? But then we get to the weigh in at the end and we rarely see anybody come home with more gold. Yes there are certainly times where the 7000 gets onto a patch of tiny gold that I think would put my 4500 to shame when swinging the 14" Elite coil but I've honestly never seen a 7000 out perform us when the going gets tough or the gold gets a bit bigger or deeper. Put simply I'm yet to be convinced that these new machines out perform the old ones over an average week or months as we usually spend out there.

The main difference I see is that most of our gold targets are getting smaller and that's where the SDC2300 and GPZ7000 seem to have the edge and if that's the gold you expect to be swinging over then you might find the extra cost is well worthwhile ;)

I will as always be on the lookout for the latest and greatest but I won't be diving in wallet first.... :lol:

Phil, that is spot on mate.
There is a saying with fishing that I believe also is very relevant with detecting/prospecting.

"10% of fisherman catch 90% of the fish" and for very much the same reasons with this hobby.

Moneybox said:
The main difference I see is that most of our gold targets are getting smaller

Not wrong there Moneybox ....... although the majority (SDC use) were always small the amount of smallies between 0.5 and the gram mark are rapidly declining, lucky to break the 0.25 mark these days. Larger stuff is found with the GPX & 11" or 14" but can't beat the SDC for consistent gold. Guess there are also thousands more out there looking thanks to all the gold prospecting shows.

Will be watching initial tests with interest, and some scepticism based on who's reporting/testing. Especially the finds from areas flogged with every previous detector known to mankind.

Regardless of which detector you have/use you have to have access to gold bearing ground and actually walk over it, detectors don't make/guarantee gold.

Lucky Strike in Geelong are now also spruking the eventual release but no date/price.

Reg Wilson said:
I wonder where these new detectors are built. One thing is for sure. It 'aint here.

Should they be?

Surprised to see you in this thread mate, was that the only criticism you could aim at Minelab with this offering?

Or perhaps you just want to derail the thread for your own purposes?

OldGt Just like cars, we used to build them here. Detectors are built in America, Europe, Asia, even Turkey. I didn't criticise anyone, I am just curious as to where they are made.
Amazing with all the anti Chinese and anti Islamic feelings expressed here and elsewhere that some can turn a blind eye when it comes to certain things when convenient.
Talk about running with the fox and hunting with the hounds.

Latest posts