Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess we won't know till Nenad or Steve H. give us some feedback? It does appeal to those wanting an SDC with more control or a GPX with less, simpler functions. Horses for courses - some will love it, some wont. I think what is important is the performance, hell - it can look like shit on a stick for all I care, but if it is going to find gold better than detector A, B or C.... all credit to it!

I've got a feeling this one might be aimed more at the overseas market such as Africa, though I could be totally wrong. Anyway keen to hear some real world reports about performace and technology.

I'm thinking that the "GeoSense" may be ground type detection to automatically adjust the machine's timings (like Normal, Fine Gold, Enhanced etc).
That would be like extending the difference between the 4500 and the 5000 with more timings.
If so, then hopefully continuously variable.
Maybe even automatically adjusting audio type/speed (and possibly others) with these changes. RX Gain and Stabiliser may be auto set through the Sensitivity.
Possibly, ML thought the GPX series was a little too complicated with its myriad of settings. I liked them though.
Also looks like GPX coils are compatible, but ML state they are not best suited to its capabilities. That would be a pity, but technology moves on.......

BigWave said:
I'm thinking that the "GeoSense" may be ground type detection to automatically adjust the machine's timings (like Normal, Fine Gold, Enhanced etc).
That would be like extending the difference between the 4500 and the 5000 with more timings.
Maybe even automatically adjusting audio type/speed (and possibly others) with these changes. RX Gain and Stabiliser may be auto set through the Sensitivity.
Possibly, ML thought the GPX series was a little too complicated with its myriad of settings. I liked them though.
Also looks like GPX coils are compatible, but ML state they are not best suited to its capabilities. That would be a pity, but technology moves on.......

Are you saying that my Evo coils are compatible with this unit? Be good if they are!

BigWave said:
People say Minelab don't listen but what have people been saying for years?
They want an SDC with interchangeable coils that goes deeper
They want a GPX with modern features & easier to use
They want it to be lighter
They want inbuilt speaker, wireless audio, no bungy/harness, battery on board, etc.
They've pretty well hit a lot of that on the head I think? Pretty good compromise between an amped up SDC & a modern GPX. IMO it shouldn't be too much dearer than a GPX5000, if anything at all, but we all know it will be!

I'm with you Bigwave, I like having the manual functionality - now. Didn't always.
But I also liked the simplicity of the SDC & easy set up + menu of the GPZ.
Still keen to see what people think of it first.

Be a pity if the current coils aren't compatible but maybe there's some new tech/winding in the new GPX6 coil too? At the least you'd hope DD coils & the new flat wound mono's like Evo/Elite would still be ok.

Does anyone else think it looks a bit suss??? Surely someone who speaks English would have put out some sort of review of it by now, not that it makes much difference to me... i guess any publicity is good publicity.

BigWave said:

Would make perfect sense to me, added in with what Mbasko has also said.

Cash in in those that want simplicity and are willing to pay a premium for it. Not just Aus but globally. The next gen have embraced the GM, seems like a (market viewpoint) logical next step.

Dave79 said:
Does anyone else think it looks a bit suss??? Surely someone who speaks English would have put out some sort of review of it by now, not that it makes much difference to me... i guess any publicity is good publicity.
I thought it was but the bloke in the video I put up is apparently Ali Ibrahim Development Manager Minelab MEA Dubai & he checks out.
He's also on some early promo's of the 1000 :)
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/m0O99SdJdeE[/video]

In the scheme of things we're a small market here in Australia.
Won't be long until you see some English promo's ;)

mbasko said:
Ali Ibrahim Development Manager Minelab MEA Dubai & he checks out.
In the scheme of things we're a small market here in Australia.

Quite right .... we are bugger all of Minelabs overall sales when you look at markets in Europe/UK/USA/Africa.

And like the GM1000 which had dark skinned users featured on the box (from memory), the 6000 picture also seems to be of a well suntanned individual ...... aiming more directly at an African market ???

Can't afford one anyway so all academic to me at the moment.

Edit ....... OK so I went back to check some of the dozens of FB, Forum and other posts, can't for the life of me find the "suntanned" user pic ..... maybe it's just old age but could have sworn it was there,

Booney said:
Why the heck would you want a gps on a detector anyway ?.
So someone can track ya down where you go for gold prospecting...... :lol:
Ok may be gone too far with this joke, but in the digital world all devices communicate both ways, so on one hand it is for your benefit to have all of your sites recorded or your detector recovered if stolen, but on the other hand someone else can get that prospecting sites info from your detector without your consent.

Teemore said:
Edit ....... OK so I went back to check some of the dozens of FB, Forum and other posts, can't for the life of me find the "suntanned" user pic ..... maybe it's just old age but could have sworn it was there,

You are probably right Teemore, it most probably was there, until some politically correct person somewhere in the world wrote a letter to Mineab complaining that it portrayed all dark skinned people as gold diggers. I'm sure the pendulum will swing the other way for a while now, until some other politically correct person somewhere else in the world writes to Minelab complaining that only white people are ever depicted on their products. :lol:

Hard Luck said:
Do we have a cost for this yet? Or are we still waiting. If it's plug and pray I may be interested in something like this. Pending reviews of course. :Y:

Going by the link that AM posted, it states "UPD (Jan 12 2021): First pictures of GPX6000 have been added to this post. Pricing and launch date are to be confirmed soon"

Candigger said:
Booney said:
Why the heck would you want a gps on a detector anyway ?.
So someone can track ya down where you go for gold prospecting...... :lol:
Ok may be gone too far with this joke, but in the digital world all devices communicate both ways, so on one hand it is for your benefit to have all of your sites recorded or your detector recovered if stolen, but on the other hand someone else can get that prospecting sites info from your detector without your consent.

Not without a network connection, they don't. There's no SIM card in metal detectors yet, so unless/until the operator connects his/her machine to the web, the data inside is going nowhere. Just in case you're not aware, GPS is a one-way system, like radio. GPS satellites transmit signals and GPS receivers listen for those signals and calculate their positions accordingly, without any feedback loop.