Prospecting / Miners pick information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mirrors said:
Bendigo have Bunnings
See if they have pelican picks in stock
:pickshovel:

$84!

For a pick stamped and welded by a blind man in a factory in China!

Christ on a stick, that's highway robbery!

Also just FYI: "This item is not stocked in-store. You can order it from the Special Orders desk in-store or online."

Dave law said:
I see Ben from gold diggers has PINK picks (all profits supports breast cancer research) free postage too. Cheers.

With all the pink faff we've been sold over the decades how the hell haven't they cured that yet? It's got to be up there with PETA and their bear bile farming crap they've been peddling since the 70's.

I'd rather my profits support Australian industry and Australian tool makers than some 'charity' that puts 98% of it's earnings into advertising, marketing, and employing more people to advertise and market their scam. :p

Dr Lex Winter said:
Dave law said:
I see Ben from gold diggers has PINK picks (all profits supports breast cancer research) free postage too. Cheers.

With all the pink faff we've been sold over the decades how the hell haven't they cured that yet? It's got to be up there with PETA and their bear bile farming crap they've been peddling since the 70's.

I'd rather my profits support Australian industry and Australian tool makers than some 'charity' that puts 98% of it's earnings into advertising, marketing, and employing more people to advertise and market their scam. :p

Pink "faff you reckon?

That's a pretty offensive statement mate. Before my Mum passed away from cancer she suggested we should donate to help cancer research. I still do when I see them out.

Dr Lex Winter said:

DLW, for a lawyer you show absolutely no empathy, a disgraceful post in my opinion. :mad:

SlickRick said:
Bought a Trojan Pick-Hoe from Bunnings the other day. Fibre glass handle, pretty light and $21. Cheap as chips

Sounds like a great buy :Y: just don't use it when prospecting it will chip, leave shards of the metal and have you chasing dud targets, true.

That's why prospecting picks cost what they do and the site sponsors have good followers for this simple reason. They know what the quality needs to be and make quality products that treated properly will last you many years, more than a cheap unsuited pick from Bunnings or any other hardware store. The quality equates to longevity making the investment cheap in comparison to unfit poor quality products :beer:

The one you bought is ideal for the veggie patch not prospecting hard ground :Y:

RM Outback said:
SlickRick said:
Bought a Trojan Pick-Hoe from Bunnings the other day. Fibre glass handle, pretty light and $21. Cheap as chips

Sounds like a great buy :Y: just don't use it when prospecting it will chip, leave shards of the metal and have you chasing dud targets, true.

That's why prospecting picks cost what they do and the site sponsors have good followers for this simple reason. They know what the quality needs to be and make quality products that treated properly will last you many years, more than a cheap unsuited pick from Bunnings or any other hardware store. The quality equates to longevity making the investment cheap in comparison to unfit poor quality products :beer:

The one you bought is ideal for the veggie patch not prospecting hard ground :Y:

Anybody want to buy a pick for their veggie patch? :lol:

Just starting out therefore I'm going to start asking more questions. Can i ask if there is a better size of pick to buy?

SlickRick said:
RM Outback said:
SlickRick said:

Anybody want to buy a pick for their veggie patch? :lol:

Just starting out therefore I'm going to start asking more questions. Can i ask if there is a better size of pick to buy?

The best size it what you're comfortable with :perfect: some days can be a long hard slog so being comfortable is the best approach imo.

Regarding questions ask the people who make them and their responses should help you with your decision. Just check out the site sponsors and send a pm or jump in any of their threads and ask away, their generally quick with a response :beer:

You might want to keep that veggie patch pick, the veggies will give you the strength to keep digging when you hit hard ground :playful:

Does anyone know where or even "if" you can buy full size prospecting pick heads made of titanium? I know I'm going to get all sorts of opinions here but MY reasoning is existing injuries that are aggravated by carrying weight, but I still have no problem giving it a full over-head swing if needed.

I usually carry a medium CC pick which was heavier (till it snapped!) and currently carry the Discoverer;

This pick is designed to dig large holes for the prospectors who dont mind the extra weight of a powerful pick.

Pick head: 6mm

Handle length: 900mm

Weight: 1350g

I really like the size of the pick heads and length of handle combinations - I understand the weight contributes to it's purpose and abilities, but what a titanium pick might lack in weight I will make up for in the swing!

Also, titanium while light and strong, doesn't have the best surface hardness, but for prospecting - I think it would be fine...cost, well, I'd wear that.

I think you would have to make one up yourself . Get it cut out of a bit of flat bar and then cut a length of tube and get it welded on. Best to try and find some body that works with titanium . I have a piece about 50 m.m. dia . and 400 long .