Gold Rat 888 or 6 " bushwalker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Lookong at in getting a sluice and interested in any experience or comments, especially between the 2 goldrat models 888 and 6 "bushwalker.

I have one of the mini sluices and impressed at how well the mini dream mat cells work even on such a small device, but it needs a lot more emptying out.

Ideally I would like a sluice that's usable as multi purpose, easy to carry, lightweight, and not to bulky for transport and could be set up as a clean up sluice if needed as well.

I like the idea of the 888 with the optional forward classifier, but the 6 "bushwalker looks very good and was wondering if its a better choice as bit more compact, perhaps better for low flow or clean up, or is the 888 a better 'all rounder" and can do it better?

The "888" is great but gives limited "add on" options ... a great lightweight option for in stream use.
Depends on how much you want to spend as well ......

I started with the original 8" river slice .......

Later adder Legs and Header unit to enable clean up of concentrates at home.

Since added the Flare Kit and Forward Classifier unit ..... works well in the field, not as much volume as a straight out Highbankers (best option for volume processing).

I use the largest available pump (3700) with battery (and a spare).

At 72, this works well for me, not too heavy, reasonable volume (not as much as a young buck could process), can be used in many different ways - especially for home use with collected concentrates.

Can't go wrong with any of the Goldrat product.
Cheers T.

Love my 888.
Forward classifyer, Header box and Flare are all great. My home made legs do for now but would look at the goldrat ones for Christmas if i am lucky.
1603604457_goldrat_banker.jpg

Yes i just hold the pan under it to catch it all....(i tried rotating the image multiple times and ways and gave up)

I still dont understand how people put the mats in backwards, what are they clamping it down with, wouldnt that crush the cells :8

Hey Choofa I've got the mini 6 and reckon you should go the 888. The 6 is still good but I reckon you'd get through some material with the 8 unclassified if you have the flow.
Cheers skip

Thanks for rhe replies, and great picture of the 888, except its definitely only going to work in that configguration down under in the southern hemisphere :)

How does it go fo water flow?

Needs a bit, Dustin recommends 3000gph pump with the 8inch.
I have also successfully bucketed water into it when not at home (no pumps allowed in SA) and i still recovered really fine gold but that was using pre-classified material down to probably less than 1/8 inch mesh. I still used the forward classifier on it though as some rocks ended up in the mix as i missed shovelling into my mesh bucket classifier
There are a few vids on YouTube if you search on bucketing

1603445664_f4023df0-0b12-4e47-b25b-548b30c76993.jpg

Thanks for all the info and especially tge pictures, really helped.

Was it hard to put the flare/header on the 888 ?

I have the 888 , love it. lightweight and easy to setup (when we have enough water flow :/ ) Also been looking at the 6" Mini highbanker. for going away with when we can cross borders freely again.

choofa said:
Hi All,

Lookong at in getting a sluice and interested in any experience or comments, especially between the 2 goldrat models 888 and 6 "bushwalker.

I have one of the mini sluices and impressed at how well the mini dream mat cells work even on such a small device, but it needs a lot more emptying out.

Ideally I would like a sluice that's usable as multi purpose, easy to carry, lightweight, and not to bulky for transport and could be set up as a clean up sluice if needed as well.

I like the idea of the 888 with the optional forward classifier, but the 6 "bushwalker looks very good and was wondering if its a better choice as bit more compact, perhaps better for low flow or clean up, or is the 888 a better 'all rounder" and can do it better?

Before buying anything check the gold fields you visit most. Everything to do with prospecting in Australia has an extra digit or two added on the price of the thing. You see some ridiculous prices here, especially in prospecting shops. The general store in Hill End has the hopes and dreams of many a digger for sale at a very low price. I mean heck, a $29 Estwing mineral hammer sells for $90-120 at most prospecting stores, we're talking ridiculous levels of mark up. $10 snuffer bottles that they buy online for 100 for $10.

The upshot is with the internet at your fingertips you can see the real prices of things without the Australia Tax.

Latest posts