Eldorado / Beechworth area information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jethro said:
Had a good little meet up today with S,Wright, Golddoc, Northeast & Limpalot down near McFeeters Crossing. The weather was pretty warm away from the creek, which is still flowing nicely. Water Temp was just right for a cool off, after a day on the highbanker on a big flood wash terrace. Id worked this spot about 20yrs ago with good results but the best wash has long been processed. I got a bit of colour but nothing like the 10+ grams we got from an area about 40 metres square just taking the surface down to about 3 inches all those yrs ago.
Should have read 40 square metres.

Old Propectors and their Yarns are a bit like Old Fishermen and the one that got away, except that the Gold doesnt grow but the hole you had to dig to get it gets deeper :) Was A good day out, My back n knees are telling me so this morning.

Yes and thanks to all of you for a really nice day. Didn't get a lot of gold but that is not what I came along for. Good company in the shade on a nice bit of creek.

Araluen

limpalot said:
Great day out, got a little bit of colour; but was not going to hard though. good to catch up with some others ,as it always is. :goldnugget:
Had a look at that other spot Old GT, have to do a camp out there when cooler. :goldnugget: :beer:

First day back and all we did was talk about the next holiday :playful:

I got a trip to NSW to see a relative but nothing else on the list for now, just a pity I couldnt come up yesty.

Certainly put me in the book when you're thinking about it mate, wouldnt hurt the folks up there to have a bit of gold tourism once the heat and the school holidays have past. Good mate of mine got a Zed after talking about it for a couple years, maybe a little dig and then head further south for a bit of a swing, be a nice way to fill in a few days catching up.

Just finished separating Sunday's High banking cons. Just a bit over .5 of a gram with a little help from Northeast's donation of a scrap that fell off the specie he was showing me. :argh: :eek: and dropped into the gravel. So I made fuel n Beer money,.. just. I did manage to scratch the ute when it slid into a tree on the way out :rolleyes:

1610516176_20210113_155510_2.jpg

1610516225_eedyhi_bank.jpg

Great day out we need to organise another again soon. :perfect:

Heading to Eldorado, Beechworth actually, on Monday for 3 days, was only going to pack the Crewell MGC & pans to play in the creek.
Time prospecting will be limited, more a getaway with the better half (unless I get real twitchy).

Wondering if there's any value in using a detector (probably just SDC) around there ..... never been and from memory can't recall any detecting areas nearby .....

Just thought I'd get some "expert" opinion.

Cheers T.

Cant say Ive ever tried the detector at Reedy however Beechworth might be worth a short drive, there were a number of places they used hydraulic sluicing. Ive managed some larger pieces in 3 mile on the bedrock which started uphill toward the transfer station/township as a recognised goldfeild. Pretty dense growth in there though on the public land creek side of the private fencing.

Some larger pickers have come out at Eldorado from crevicing. There are some deep holes in places along the downslope that must have yeilded some larger gold in the past.

Perhaps someone has a map from the well known map maker DS, cant remember if his points of interest where gemstones only or included nuggets on the south side of Reedy toward the falls on the downslope. Even if so access might be only available on private land.

All in all couldnt hurt to put it in, perhaps better to try and come up empty handed than to leave it at home and not try at all.

If you get a chance, drop into the Beechworth Visitor Centre......they have some info on Reidy's , and the Chiltern-Mt. Pilot National Park, where there is a designated fossicking area as well. They also have a mud map of the roads leading into the designated areas around Yackandandah....another possibility, and a short pleasant drive from Beechworth.

If a bloke called Rod happens to be on duty there, pick his brains.....he does a bit of fossicking himself in the area and was very helpful to us when we got our Licences there.

Haven't tried either area myself, but they are both definitely on the bucket list :)

Good luck, and enjoy your stay in a very nice area........although, if our trip to Bright today is any indication, you're going to have plenty of company.

Thanks OldGT, forgot I've got the DS book here, rarely look at it so forgot it's got most of Vic covered and he does indicate gemstones at a couple of locations ...... probably couldn't ID one if I fell over it.

Great info Katabatic .... more R&R with the wife this trip but will spend a bit of the time sussing out, getting what info I can, only ever known about gold in the creeks up there but that's only because its not an area I've had much interest in previously so those other areas will be on my research list.

Hoping a few will have to return to work after the weekend .....

Cheers T.

We lived in Wangaratta for a couple of years and spent good time around Eldorado, mainly panning and sluicing.Also found some nice clear and smokey qtz crystals, topaz, and agates.
Detected along and around the banks of Reedy creek and found some gold field relics of buttons , buckles and a few broaches, horse shoes, pick heads etc.
The place is littered with rusty iron. The best panning results came from about two miles down from the falls. There was a lot of people camped along the creek back then and if I remember correctly there is no panning or sluicing allowed near the falls any more. ....I may be wrong.
There is always something to be found and if you can get the SDC close to bedrockalong the creek then you might get lucky and find a picker, anywhere else and the rusty iron will drive you bonkers.

The watercourses that drained the metamorphic country just to the south east of beechworth would be worth a try. Six mile, Three mile. Two mile, Silver & Deep creeks. ;)

Latest posts