Geology question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all,

I've got a private property lined up to do some prospecting over the next few months. Have had a wander around and found a quartz vein that seems to run the length of the property and outcrops in several places. I will do some sampling on my next trip but is mineralised quartz like this a promising sign?

This is from one of the outcrops

1417774008_optimized-imag0304.jpg

1417774029_optimized-imag0303.jpg

1417774051_optimized-imag0318.jpg

The seam of quartz runs along the side of a ridge made of hard dark red conglomerate which also contains small quartz.

Area is in central Queensland and is surrounded by know gold bearing areas.

Found this in a creek on the same property that had been uncovered by the last wet season.

Quartz vein which runs along a seam of what looks like serpentine.

1417774638_optimized-imag0316.jpg

The creek also has pieces of basalt full of chromite and mica

wowee good mineralised quartz there aus digger.
good luck dollying up mate. Found a similar looking reef in Meekatharra once but no gold unfortunately, im not lucky. I hope you are :)

Crush it and pan it aus digger, that's the best way to tell. It certainly looks promising so I hope you find heaps of the good yellow stuff.

The stuff in the first few photo's is typical of what I have been crushing in recent years. It won't have gold all through it but I would expect it to have some nice gold in patches. I would sample this stuff very carefully. A friend has taken to detecting reefs near us with an sdc2300 and then when he gets a signal he digs it out and crushes it. If you can't buy one, hire one to use while you are there. It is very nice looking stone. Good Luck with it.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I plan get some samples from the outcrops then crush and pan. Was also going to dig out a section of the gully below the outcrops and see what's in there.

Makes a lot of sense to use a detector, will do some testing with the dolly and pan first and see if it's worth investigating further.

This piece has some green colouring in it.

1417839451_optimized-imag0305.jpg

Have traced the quartz running in a line for about 4km. Most of it has been uncovered by a dozed clearing scrub.

Gossans are always a good sign.
Green stuff is interesting, although I would hazard a guess that it is lichen

The quartz looks barren in that last pic compared to what was posted originally. The green necessarily doesn't mean anything.

Remember, quartz veins or reefs are usually only bearing in areas of intersecting structure and not totally along the reef.

Any bearing areas will be to either side of width and depth......take strike and dip measurements and then proceed from there.

;)

Hi, interestimg. Going from the pictures that are posted, is the black in the background of the green serpentime the chromite your discussing? Also if you have finished in the area do you mind sharing the creek? A satellite view of the area can reveal a lot also,

Thanks

Lol or he's bought the property and has no internet service that or his big Popeye arms are too big to get near the keyboard to type. Lmfao.

Latest posts