First day! No Gold But Loved It.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderEmployedGeo

Gold Gold Gold
Reaction score
Went out around Blackwood today, scratched around some old workings near the Countess track. Also just tested out my new 4wd (2011 VW Amorak) which turns out to be a ripper!

No gold but did detect two rusty nails and a shotgun cartridge?

Can't wait to get out again, especially Nugget Creek -that intrigued me.

UnderEmployedGeo said:
Went out around Blackwood today, scratched around some old workings near the Countess track. Also just tested out my new 4wd (2011 VW Amorak) which turns out to be a ripper!

No gold but did detect two rusty nails and a shotgun cartridge ?

Can't wait to get out again, especially Nugget Creek - that intrigued me.

It sounds like the gold fever has infected another victim. I guess the bug mutates because in all of history they've never developed an antidote of found a cure :argh:

Haha thanks guys!

The Gold Bug bit me many years ago when I worked in exploration. The fever never really goes away, it just lies dormant, like a volcano, ready to become active again at any moment. I'm sure when I first see yellow I'll need hospitalization for acute severe Gold Fever!

All the best UEG,
Yes, the memory of your first gold will never leave you.
Back in the 80's with my then new Garrett Deepseeker, a complete newbie, a couple, Bill & Nancy befriended me in the Meekatharra top pub and invited me to join them at their camp.
After showing me a 10ozer, they taught me the basics and introduced me to chaining in a circle. (Use this method still)
They returned to their van for lunch and I kept circling until I got a strong signal. Scraped the "salt & pepper" away and signal was gone. Waved the rocks from the pile one by one until I picked up a piece of ironstone that felt heavy for its size. A spit and a rub and I caught a glimpse of my first yellow. Gave the instructed "coo-ee" and Bill & Nancy came running. They confirmed the gold and took it back to the van to get an estimate.
I carried on circling and one lap later picked up a pure shit quartz with gold showing clearly.
All up my two first finds containe 1 1/2 ozs of gold.
I regret to this day taking it to work and the laboratory staff cleaned the species with hydro acid.
Wished I had kept them in natural state.
Gold Fever crippled me from there on. :lol:

That's a great story Nightjar!
I still remember the first drillhole I planned that contained visible gold - at the Vivien Mine at Agnew near Leinster - must have been a good 10 grams in size. Prickly and shiny, sticking out of a quartz vein! Glowing on an overcast day (the best gold spotting conditions!). Something about seeing immediate rewards for your planning and effort...

I was lucky with my first gold find. It was north of Kalgoorlie in the late 70s. I got a beep and pulled a nice 1/4 ouncer and re-checked the hole and got another beep. I finished up with a small deep hole and 7 lovely nuggets. They just kept on coming. It is the only 'pocket' I have found. I forget the total weight but they were all reasonable chunks.

Latest posts