Cape Liptrap

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm heading down to Cape Liptrap coastal park which had a designated gem prospecting area. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what exactly I can find there? I literally cannot find any information online regarding anything other then the area in which you can prospect. TIA

Parks Victoria Cape Liptrap Coastal Park Management Plan said:
5.12 Fossicking
Gemstone fossicking has taken place for many years within the Cape Liptrap Coastal Park. Gemstones such as jasper, serpentine and other siliceous pebbles are common within the coves between Cape Liptrap and Walkerville South. The former Land Conservation Council recommended that gemstone fossicking continue to be permitted within the park (LCC 1982), and section 32D of the National Parks Act provides for fossicking areas to be designated. A miners right (permit) is required to search for minerals, including gemstones, on Crown land. This authorisation restricts any fossicking to the use of hand tools, which may include a pick, shovel, cradle or panning dish.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4485/1608708258_cape-liptrap-coastal-park-management-plan-1.pdf

For some reason several areas have dropped off the Parks Victoria website list of areas?
It is still in their Plan of Management & the area is also still listed by Earth Resources https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...fossicking/where-you-can-prospect-and-fossick

Hi - I went down there a few weeks ago. Cape Liptrap itself doesn't have much of interest, a few average white quartz pebbles and a flint nodule were all I found there, it's also awkward to access the beach down a steep hill and even harder to get back up. Great scenery though. The better spot is Bear Gully campground nearby to the east of CL, the beaches in either direction have plenty of jasper pieces, some green serpentine and a few nice white quartz pebbles. Main issue is if you are looking to tumble polish nearly all the stones are pretty cracked and not very smooth. West of the campground is easier going and smaller jasper pebbles can be found in some areas on the beach, east is more rock hopping but some bigger pieces can easily be picked up. Also check out the stream (Bear Stream) about 50m up the beach to the east of the campground it has a variety of smaller pebbles. Unfortunately also none were smooth enough to tumble polish. I can post a few pics of some of the pieces found if you are still interested. Not much to look at unless they are wet though...

Bretski said:
Hi - I went down there a few weeks ago. Cape Liptrap itself doesn't have much of interest, a few average white quartz pebbles and a flint nodule were all I found there, it's also awkward to access the beach down a steep hill and even harder to get back up. Great scenery though. The better spot is Bear Gully campground nearby to the east of CL, the beaches in either direction have plenty of jasper pieces, some green serpentine and a few nice white quartz pebbles. Main issue is if you are looking to tumble polish nearly all the stones are pretty cracked and not very smooth. West of the campground is easier going and smaller jasper pebbles can be found in some areas on the beach, east is more rock hopping but some bigger pieces can easily be picked up. Also check out the stream (Bear Stream) about 50m up the beach to the east of the campground it has a variety of smaller pebbles. Unfortunately also none were smooth enough to tumble polish. I can post a few pics of some of the pieces found if you are still interested. Not much to look at unless they are wet though...
You can also pan gold and osmiridium from the beach sand at the base of the cliff near Limeburners Cove

Latest posts