Detecting with a back issue

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dewalt said:
UnderEmployedGeo said:
I'm not an expert on ergonomics etc, and I can imagine the swinging action of a detector could be a problem for some, but with regards to what happens when you get a target, I see a lot in the online vids that is about efficiency and speed and potentially harmful...which if you have a back issue is not a good way to go. I suspect that slowing down, properly kneeling beside a target, minimising swinging of picks - perhaps even prefer the levering of a cold chisel and a mallet to break up the ground then lifting pieces at a time... the pulling back action people sometimes use to scrape ground is basically like lifting a heavy object with poor form from what I've seen. Like all physical activities it's no problem at all until its a problem...

I agree with Geo, i have had a lower back problem for over 30 years and have been in traction in hospital a few times now. I use a harness and bungee on my 5000 which i can use for eight hours in a day with the normal fatigue you would expect after that amount of time.

My problems always comes from digging holes or the scraping of the surface with my foot which i never do anymore. I always use kneepads and kneel on every hole. Go slow and enjoy the dig. If i do not do this, the first hole i dig could be my last for the day and probable for a week which i will spend on my back in bed.

This may not be the same for all but it is definately the digging that causes me issues, seems to be that bending over with the weight of the pick out in front of me then dragging back that does the damage.

Building up your core muscles by walking regularly will also help with the use of the detector and is something that i do every day and this has helped me out heaps with my lower back just in general.

Thanks Dewalt, its information like this that makes me realize I can still enjoy detecting without too many issues. I think it will be digging the holes that will irritate my back more than carrying the weight.

Hi Astro

I have had disc issues in my back since 2003 when cricket caused the 2 bottom discs on my left side to bulge to the point they were ready to rupture.

It has been good, but I do get sore after a day of fishing, hiking or now detecting.

My GP3500 I use with a harness & a bungee cord, while the swing arm is next on the list. I find the detector is not really the issue. For me it is the uneven ground & the digging which causes the issues.

Plenty of Ibuprofen & staying in a motel in Ballarat that had a spa made it less painful than normal.

That said, I need to be more careful about when I am down digging. The uneven ground is beyond my control unless I go somewhere thst is more flat.

Will it stop me doing the things I love?

Hell no! I grin & bear it.

Astro,
Suffered a few lower back problems 20+ years ago and physio fixed that very simply, it may be worth your while to experiment.
***Roll a bath towel and wrap some string or tape around it to hold it in place. Lay down on the floor then lift your butt and slide roll under the pain point. Slowly lower your body back down. Will feel a little uncomfortable but if you persevere several times a day hopefully you will get relief.*** Have only ever had problems since that time a couple of times and this method fixed it every time.

Jaros said:
There's a lot of us here with that problem.
Do you have a wife or girlfriend to assist.
Yeah, but she complains after swinging the detector for a few hours.....

Nightjar said:
Astro,
Suffered a few lower back problems 20+ years ago and physio fixed that very simply, it may be worth your while to experiment.
***Roll a bath towel and wrap some string or tape around it to hold it in place. Lay down on the floor then lift your butt and slide roll under the pain point. Slowly lower your body back down. Will feel a little uncomfortable but if you persevere several times a day hopefully you will get relief.*** Have only ever had problems since that time a couple of times and this method fixed it every time.

Thanks Nightjar, you reminded me I have one of these. Works a treat & costs bugger all:

1609655812_20210103_173353_copy_756x1008.jpg

fwdoz said:
Hi Astro

I have had disc issues in my back since 2003 when cricket caused the 2 bottom discs on my left side to bulge to the point they were ready to rupture.

It has been good, but I do get sore after a day of fishing, hiking or now detecting.

My GP3500 I use with a harness & a bungee cord, while the swing arm is next on the list. I find the detector is not really the issue. For me it is the uneven ground & the digging which causes the issues.

Plenty of Ibuprofen & staying in a motel in Ballarat that had a spa made it less painful than normal.

That said, I need to be more careful about when I am down digging. The uneven ground is beyond my control unless I go somewhere thst is more flat.

Will it stop me doing the things I love?

Hell no! I grin & bear it.

Thanks fwdoz, its information like this that makes me realize I will be able to continue detecting in the future. Ive definitely added the swing arm to my list
of accessories.

Nightjar said:
Astro,

Thanks Nightjar, I use a roller whenever my back becomes overly tight, its surprising how a simple rolled towel can help relieve a stiff spine.

fwdoz said:
Nightjar said:
Astro,

Thanks Nightjar, you reminded me I have one of these. Works a treat & costs bugger all:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../1609655812_20210103_173353_copy_756x1008.jpg

That looks like a great roller fwdoz, Ill have to look into it.

I had to give up detecting due to back problems. I've had 2 laminectomies and need another one unfortunately. However I live in hope. I can't walk far at all, not like I used to. I will be able to afford a 7000 soon and am weighing up whether I should be so stupid as to buy one when I don't know what the result may be. Fortunately I have some sites that require little walking and may be able to manage but digging with a pick is another story.
Maybe I should just buy my Mustang and go cruising like other old fuddys do.
Having been a prospector all my life it isn't an easy decision to make. Then again another laminectomy might see me out.

panther said:
I had to give up detecting due to back problems. I've had 2 laminectomies and need another one unfortunately. However I live in hope. I can't walk far at all, not like I used to. I will be able to afford a 7000 soon and am weighing up whether I should be so stupid as to buy one when I don't know what the result may be. Fortunately I have some sites that require little walking and may be able to manage but digging with a pick is another story.
Maybe I should just buy my Mustang and go cruising like other old fuddys do.
Having been a prospector all my life it isn't an easy decision to make. Then again another laminectomy might see me out.

panther, when you look at the amount of gold you're likely to bring home perhaps another type of detecting might keep you occupied. Some of these coin and treasure machines like the Deus are as light as a feather and the buzz of finding treasure can be very enjoyable. It can be a lot easier to get out of the ground and very often in areas much easier to get about on.

Haha, not the same. I spent many years detecting coins and rings back in the late 70s until I started detecting for gold. I have always done well at the gold and could not have a machine that was not dedicated. If I manage to get back to it I will also get a 'treasure' machine. I find them useful on the farm. I gave my last 2 to my daughter who loves coin hunting.
My early machines were a GP Extreme, a 3000 and a 4000.
Thanks for your comment Moneybox. :perfect:

Latest posts