GPX Wireless set up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

I'm getting a GPX5000 tomorrow and am wondering if anyone has made a wireless speaker set up for their 5000, don't like headphones- however in saying that, the cicadas are that noisy this year it's nearly unbearable. At this stage I will be having the battery in the harness but at some point probably will put one in the controllers cover as I'm ordering one that has the battery pouch with 30cm lead. I have looked at the pro sonic but it's expensive. I'm even thinking of using a 3S LiPo battery dependent on what the machine draws and current it needs which would drop the weight down and do away with the original brick.
Any suggestions?

Even a DIY set up will start getting expensive once you factor in battery + charger/s, wireless set up & booster/amp for your speaker. Likely up around ~$300 at least.

I think you'd be after a 7.4v 2S lipo (3S is 11.1v).
There are a number of lightweight li-ion or lipo options but whatever you get look for something with an inbuilt protection circuit & good capacity of over 6000mAh.

Wireless can be a bit of a minefield. A lot will recommend even cheap Bluetooth set ups but in my experience these are hit & miss. You ideally want something low latency & good battery life.
Trying to find suitable cheap Bluetooth can end up costing more than just getting quality to start with.
I have used Avantree Saturn Pro low latency units & found them good as have others.
If I was to buy something now though I'd get Quest wirefree mate - it's purpose made. I haven't personally used it but the Quest gets good wraps & is reasonably priced:
http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/quest-wirefree-mate-kit/

Booster/amp for speaker, dependant on what you want out of it, can cost anywhere from $20 to over $200+.
Some cheap portable guitar amps are actually ok & comparable to commercial detector boosters. Again they can be a minefield though & quality control can be an issue with some.
You can't really go wrong with things like the B&Z or Detacc if just wanting amplification for your speaker.
The Steelphase SP01 is probably the Ferrari of these & a true enhancer with filtering options but is the most expensive of them.

I use the light weight battery set from detector mods Ballarat. $145

Then I use the avantree Bluetooth transmitter and receiver set. Which i picked up from Amazon for $90

You can then use your phones earbuds 3.5mm or a speaker with a 3.5 to RCA adaptor. $3

ShaneC said:

Then I use the avantree Bluetooth transmitter and receiver set. Which i picked up from Amazon for $90

You can then use your phones earbuds 3.5mm or a speaker with a 3.5 to RCA adaptor. $3
I assume you're using earbuds only?
Without some type of amp you won't get much volume through a speaker with that set up. The GPX really needs an amp to get good volume out of a speaker which is why the stock battery has an inbuilt amp that cuts in when a correctly wired speaker is used but not for normally wired headphones/earphones.
Most of the speakers for detecting are wired with a 6.25mm plug so for the Avantrees you need 3.5mm male to 6.25mm female adapter.
If making the speaker yourself it can be wired directly to 3.5mm male.

mbasko said:
ShaneC said:

I assume you're using earbuds only?
Without some type of amp you won't get much volume through a speaker with that set up. The GPX really needs an amp to get good volume out of a speaker which is why the stock battery has an inbuilt amp that cuts in when a correctly wired speaker is used but not for normally wired headphones/earphones.
Most of the speakers for detecting are wired with a 6.25mm plug so for the Avantrees you need 3.5mm male to 6.25mm female adapter.
If making the speaker yourself it can be wired directly to 3.5mm male.

Yep sorry I also have the LT booster when using the speaker but mainly do just use earbuds, and yes also had to get the male 3.5mm to 6.25 adaptor.

Re (am wondering if anyone has made a wireless speaker set up....... )

In my opinion/experience you miss gold with speakers, good headphones/earphones are worth their weight in gold. However I use the WM12 (wireless) speaker on my Z and the Z has great noise limiting feature ie go over a horse shoe and it does not give a big bang. Have also used/own an SP01 ( Amp/Filter) with Twin speakers off the WM12. My reason for speakers is I have Tinnitus and don't want it to get any worse.

Latest posts