Help with choosing a tent - Information & Questions.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The choice of tents is not easy, I myself remember how long I suffered from this when my old tent broke, eh, it was perfect. When I bought a new tent, my friend advised me to look at these options https://outdoorsly.org/best-tent-cot/. It turned out it was a really good choice, in the end, I bought this model Winterial.
1572326744_712bmzws0il._sl1500_.jpg

I recently acquired an Oztent RV3 after camping in a swag for many years. I gave it its first run at the NAPFA meeting at Sofala a few weeks ago

The tent is palatial accommodation compared to the swag and it was tight as a drum despite rain, wind and thunder on the Friday.

With the fly and vents open there were no problems with condensation, either.

I got a roof rack tray and canvas bag from Drifta, and can throughly recommend them both.

Liam6589 said:
The choice of tents is not easy, I myself remember how long I suffered from this when my old tent broke, eh, it was perfect. When I bought a new tent, my friend advised me to look at these options https://outdoorsly.org/best-tent-cot/. It turned out it was a really good choice, in the end, I bought this model Winterial.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ges/14952/1572326744_712bmzws0il._sl1500_.jpg
I have two of those Tent-Cots and they are bloody great, but only use them where I can't take my Penguin Outback Van.
Yes, I've turned into a retired softie!

I've got a problem. I was invited by geologists to the mountains, I will help them with the equipment.

It will be cold out there, and if I have sorted out my clothes and equipment, I don't know what to do with the tent, I need a warm and strong one. Does anyone know good firms? On the Internet, I just find something similar, but I do not want to draw conclusions on the basis of people I do not know.

I will take photos and if there will be valuable breeds which to me promise geologists, I will take a photo and I will layout here.

G'day DJ welcome. to PA I'm sure by you question description you know what you might encounter and as for your answer it's in your question :Y: ask the Geo's after all they should have detail of climate if their research is correct I'd be thinking, make sure you ask the most experienced Geo :beer:

If you are hiking and carrying your tent, you'll want it to be relatively light weight. Sleeping bag and mat and what you wear at night probably make more of a difference when it comes to staying warm. For most places in Oz at this time of year, a three-season tent would suffice.

As mentioned in the battery post looking to get setup for some 1-2 trips camping during the year (in the finer weather).
I currently have a coleman instant 10person tent looking to have something smaller to fit in easier for the small trips i
don't want to spend to much as already i have outlayed on the coleman. Has anyone used the kmart Anko instant 6p tents?
and if so are they ok for light use? i like the dimensions they have room where i can stand up not much of a fan of the smaller dome tents
and pack away small enough for the car boot occasionally will have the wife and two kids with me as well. I having been keeping a eye out for the aldi instant up tents on facebook marketplace they seem to be ok but missed last time they were on sale.

max budget to get something is around $120

Thanks

I know where you're coming from, have a Sunshine Leisure (NZ) 20' plus family tent with kitchen attachment .... due to set up etc great for a 2-3 week campout but not great for a weekend away.

These days I use an Oz Trail 9x9 pop up, can be as simple as 4 pegs for the base and stick in centre pole job done. I use an optional side pole setup (internal) so nothing impedes in inside space ... very roomy or 1/2 people.
These are a bit heavier than some but it does let you stand up inside and more freedom than a swag.
From there you can do your own "camp' setup ... add tarp over the lot for extra shade/rainproofing/cooking area (could cook inside).
Think Bushmaster (??) also do them, think a lot of the safari type operators use these for large groups.
They're around $300+ but worth it, the Bushmaster start at around $600

Like everything you only get what you pay for.

AussieChris said:
I grabbed a couple of these from Aldi, they had even reduced them in price. I think I paid $69 each for them. Dont have to be Wechsel to get a good tent and enjoy yourself, these things are so quick to put up and put away.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...5334_42e1113f-b6e2-451f-8447-b2c16f0c1063.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...5606_9e826215-afea-46c1-9ed7-da3b00f1fda6.jpg

yeah i saw a friend setup they look good but probably wont be back until September i need one next weekend been trying to find someone selling a secondhand one but not luck.

Latest posts