Wagga Wagga Riverina region NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.62marksman said:
i got it off ebay on CD

cut and paste this in ebay

GOLD MINES NUGGETS LOCATIONS GPS WAYPOINTS GOOGLE EARTH minelab detector 4 X 4

The same Google earth overlays are in the downloads section of this forum [for members only]
or
a google search will find the same files, again, for free.

1551063968_capture_2.jpg

Roel said:
Researched Nangus island a bit more, but it's right in the midst of a lot of naturally occurring asbestos areas... :8
https://trade.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...x.html?appid=87434b6ec7dd4aba8cb664d8e646fb06
Asbestos won't jump up and bite you, you just need to exercise common sense. The asbestos occurring naturally in rocks has fibres that are fairly tightly bound together in the rock. A hundred years of lying on a mine dump WILL loosen those fibres up, so you would not want to be throwing shovelfuls in the air and breathing in the dust. The most dangerous asbestos does not occur in NSW (blue asbestos) - instead NSW only has a pale green asbestos (which you still do not want to inhale, but it has more flexible fibres in the main). Normal detecting activity is not likely to cause you to breathe any, unless you start throwing up clouds of dust from old mine dumps that have it (but of course even fine quartz dust can give you silicosis - but I have never heard of anyone who thought they got it this way). The people who suffer from such things are those that work with them as powder, those who blast them (especially with quartz - sharp, newly-broken particles), and those who work in mines. Even Johnson and Johnson have reportedly admitted that their baby powder (talcum powder) contains traces of asbestos - something I have always suspected because of the similar mineralogy and chemistry.

The moral is - watch what you inhale (even bulldust when driving outback roads).

Hi Roel,
Try the link ( copy and paste)

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/...ds&requestHandler&dateFrom&dateTo&sortby&s=20

Trove is great resource if you enjoy reading old history of your search area. Plenty of information can be gleaned from smart search criteria.
On of the hardest things I found was accurately locating the true location of sites mentioned, boundaries and local names of some areas have changed over time.
Cheers
Diablo

Roel said:
Hi all. I live in Wagga and while not new to prospecting, I have yet to find my first nuggets. Which area, close to Wagga Wagga NSW would you recommend that may actually hold nuggets? I don't mind driving a few hours, but would hope to find a few nuggets if I spent a few days. Any help/advice appreciated.

Hi Roel,
I am in the same boat not long moved to Wagga so trying to suss out some areas to try. Found a group on facebook that are in the area and share ideas if this helps
its under Adelong Gold Prospecting if you search it out.
I have been out to Adelong / Tumba the past week and plenty of areas to swing a detector, I mainly crevice / pan but with creeks up at the moment its more detector time.

Old_62 said:
we were never lost just geographically misplaced :( :( :( :( :( :playful: :playful: :playful:

LOL...weren't we all!!! :lol:

Great map you shared by the way. SE of my AO ... gives me some ideas for a drive.

AJ sends

Where abouts in the Central west are you Old_62, I am near Cowra.

Hi just seeing if anyone has any luck in wagga around Livingston state forest or berry jerry forest also is the gold monster 1000 minelab a good detector
Has gold been found around springs on farms in the area

Thankyou

Why do you think gold might be found around springs in the area - not clear as to why you ask this? If you mean because you think gold might be deposited by such springs - no, it is not. No relationship.

Latest posts