Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those sourdoughs. I bake them in a camp oven inside my kitchen oven, taking the lid off halfway through. This keeps a humid atmosphere and stops the crust from hardening before the bread has risen in the oven. However, I forgot to turn down the oven when I took the lid off the first loaf.

It will still taste OK.

1608795172_received_399277111180000.jpg

It's a complicated dish, Jaros.

The skin is charred with a torch and scrubbed clean with a metal scourer. Then the belly is simmered in water for an hour with a little ginger, spring onion and Chinese wine.

Then it's cut into cubes and put into the braising liquid to colour up. This can go on for 90 mins before the cubes are put in a bowl and steamed for a couple of hours. I cheated and used an instant pot (pressure cooker) for 40 minutes. Then back in the wok with the strained sauce to reduce the sauce while basting the meat.

It is worth the effort, but is not a quick dish to whip up after work. I've never seen it on a restaurant menu in Australia but have eaten it in China.